00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JSkell95 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Support Newgrounds!

55,915 Views | 286 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:15:51

When Newgrounds first hit the web in 1995, I was just goofing off after school. As a kid who spent countless hours toiling on cartoons and games no one would see, it was a breath of fresh air to share my work with the world.

Four years later, NG was a top 600 website with a growing section called The Portal, where I manually showcased Flash games and movies emailed to me by creators looking for exposure.

I hired my friend Ross and we launched an automated version of the Portal in 2000. It was the first ever place on the web that let you upload and showcase your games and movies instantly. Needless to say, it was a hit.

The dot com crash soon followed and like everyone, NG struggled through a period where ad revenue was hard to come by and expenses loomed ominously.

Having survived, NG began an upward trajectory that brought us to 2005, when we got an office, expanded the staff and got to work delivering NG to its maximum potential.

In the time since, NG has faced a sort of "death by a thousand cuts" scenario, with numerous competitors in the movie, gaming and music space. These sites have been backed by millions in venture capital and later bought for millions more by even bigger companies... you know the drill.

Throughout all this, NG has remained independent and has kept the bills paid.

Which brings us to our current reality: expenses have grown while our traffic has stayed the same and ad revenue has gone down.

One of our solutions to this is to stop leaning so heavily on advertisers and start leaning more on YOU, the people who enjoy NG.

Introducing the Supporter Upgrade. For $25, you will be branded a "Supporter" and will browse NG ad-free for one year. This includes the banner ads, 300x250 ads and site skins. It doesn't include the pre-roll ads contributors include in their games and movies.

Pages will load faster and run better. Everything looks REALLY NICE. You could run ad-block, but this works even better AND you are helping Newgrounds instead of contributing to its decline. I personally want to spend next year GROWING Newgrounds instead of agonizing over what to cut next.

There is a lot we hope to accomplish. Newgrounds was never intended to be a secondary dump on the information superhighway - it is a catalyst for creativity, a place where you meet the people you will create with for life.

We will accomplish great things with your support.

Support Newgrounds!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:19:28

Of course I'll support newgrounds <3

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:20:40

I donated before the feature was even supposed to be live.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:21:33

At 9/17/12 03:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: tank_sm.gif

SOLD.

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:22:29

how a bout a 50% EXP and B/P bonus and I'll buy three years of Support Upgrade right now?

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:23:02

NG is the only site I keep adblock turned off for.

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:29:02

At 9/17/12 03:23 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: NG is the only site I keep adblock turned off for.

GOOD ENOUGH.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:34:22

At 9/17/12 03:23 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: NG is the only site I keep adblock turned off for.

Will there be a way for supporters to keep the ads? Every penny counts!

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:35:05

Stuff is a little tight for me right now since I'm in school and all, but since I love this site, and have been here for awhile, I can spare $25 to support it.

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:37:13

I already did my part 4 days ago even though I'm also tight on money. I never minded the ads to begin with, but I've felt and noticed a positive difference in my NG browsing experience.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:38:39

I'm way ahead on that. What else can I do for you?

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:38:54

If there was a way to stop bans and having posts and/or reviews deleted, I would gladly pay.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:42:47

Doing this now as well

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:45:03

Definitely gonna buy this once I get this job I'm shooting for. Viva Newgrounds!

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:46:41

At 9/17/12 03:38 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: If there was a way to stop bans and having posts and/or reviews deleted, I would gladly pay.

Make more constructive posts/reviews - PROBLEM SOLVED.

I will support Newgrounds as soon as the month is over.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:46:44

I dont even use adblock...ever.
Also id gladly support Newgrounds when I have the money to do so.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:47:13

FOR NEWGROUNDS!

gimme 20 minutes

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:48:05

At 9/17/12 03:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: Which brings us to our current reality: expenses have grown while our traffic has stayed the same and ad revenue has gone down.

Location, location, location... of where to put NG ads on the net. Try and find sites that have increasing traffic with the demography you're looking for. It might seem like trickle-down economics, but you have to keep up with population growth. The unholy YouTube alliance (of sorts) has helped, but there are plenty of fringe sites (4chan?) that have future NG members just waiting to be told "We're here!"

Can I mail you a personal check for the Supporter service, or am I making a 20th century gaffe here?

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:48:10

At 9/17/12 03:34 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
Will there be a way for supporters to keep the ads? Every penny counts!

I'll see about adding a toggle to the account settings area. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:53:06

At 9/17/12 03:48 PM, VicariousE wrote: Location, location, location... of where to put NG ads on the net. Try and find sites that have increasing traffic with the demography you're looking for. It might seem like trickle-down economics, but you have to keep up with population growth. The unholy YouTube alliance (of sorts) has helped, but there are plenty of fringe sites (4chan?) that have future NG members just waiting to be told "We're here!"

Can I mail you a personal check for the Supporter service, or am I making a 20th century gaffe here?

I was actually gonna advertise on Drawception before it started running ads but we never ended up doing it. I do want to look for small opportunities in places with the sort of people who would be a fun fit on Newgrounds.

And a check could work - I could just convert it to store credit and then you can use the store credit to buy stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:55:35

I would love to support Newgrounds but I don't have a credit card. Yet. But the instant I get one I'll get the Supporter upgrade gladly (if it's still around).

In the meantime I'll continue doing my audio mod work to support the site which has so far hopefully compensated for my postponed payment.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:56:21

I'd love to help out, after all these years Newgrounds is still my favorite website.

Are there any other ways of payment, like Paypal/Moneybookers/Whatever? Us Euros (or at the very least Dutchies) almost never use/own creditcards. In short: I want to give you my money, but I don't know how. =)

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:56:47

for Supporters they should get a extra 10EXP and for B/P you get 2 instead of 1. and my debit card ain't working does NG have a Paypal account I could send $25 to and you give me store credit?

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:57:48

Would love to have a way to pay you through PayPal. Or would the cost of setting up PayPal be prohibitive at this time?

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:58:20

At 9/17/12 03:57 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Would love to have a way to pay you through PayPal. Or would the cost of setting up PayPal be prohibitive at this time?

yeah PayPal would be useful.

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 15:58:32

At 9/17/12 03:57 PM, mandog wrote: So if I run adblock I am KILLING ng?

Essentially it makes you a leech. Using up the bandwidth and netting them no profit from ads.

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 16:00:22

At 9/17/12 03:46 PM, simon wrote:
At 9/17/12 03:38 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: If there was a way to stop bans and having posts and/or reviews deleted, I would gladly pay.
Make more constructive posts/reviews - PROBLEM SOLVED.

Thank you for insulting. lol Mods are so aggressive these days.

I have been on NewGrounds for many years ,and I would enjoy supporting you Tom.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 16:01:10

At 9/17/12 03:56 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: for Supporters they should get a extra 10EXP and for B/P you get 2 instead of 1. and my debit card ain't working does NG have a Paypal account I could send $25 to and you give me store credit?

Nah we should get 990 extre exp per day.

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 16:02:39

Just bought one! Can I buy two? ... Alas, I can't!
But I totally would, and I'm sure several others would too!

Just my two cents, or rather my $25, I think you should have different Supporter Tiers, and leave it uncapped.

Like, for $5, you get one month ad-free, $10 three months, $25 forever...
$50 or more = forever + some extra bonuses like those ever-elusive naked pics of you, Tom.

I think a lot of the websites, that aforementioned VCs are currently throwing money at, do this freemium model?
(Reddit Gold being the first example I can think of)

I wish Newgrounds all the best.
The community here is awesome, and I know together, we'll help NG pull through!

Games, Toons, and Other Escapes From Reality.

NutcaseNightmare [dot] com

Response to Support Newgrounds! 2012-09-17 16:06:35

At 9/17/12 04:02 PM, Nutcasenightmare wrote: Just bought one! Can I buy two? ... Alas, I can't!
But I totally would, and I'm sure several others would too!

You can buy two.
Just look at how many times ReNaeNae has bought it.

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature