New Topic Respond to this Topic
NinjaGuy
NinjaGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Writing Music Need Help Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 09:02 PM Reply

I need a program to write various types of music in. If you know of something for one style, sound, or genre, please let me know, I'm all ears for anything. I have been working with fl10 demo, and its just too complicated, if you know where I can learn, please point me that way, but I really want something I can get free, not for mixing, mastering, or recording, but for writing songs completely on my laptop.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 09:06 PM Reply

FL Studio is arguably the easiest full featured DAW on the market to learn... I suggest if you're already using it that you stick with it. Watch some tutorials, read the built in tutorials, ask questions in the FL Question thread.

Cause honestly, it doesn't really get any easier than FL unless you venture into duplo programs... which I'd suggest you stay away from.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 09:06 PM Reply

I started on LMMS using Soundfonts, perhaps try that. Also consider Anvil Studio, but that doesn't do much justice to your composition unless you like the sound of MIDI.

There are plenty more free programs out there...

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
NinjaGuy
NinjaGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 09:10 PM Reply

At 9/16/12 09:06 PM, samulis wrote: I started on LMMS using Soundfonts, perhaps try that. Also consider Anvil Studio, but that doesn't do much justice to your composition unless you like the sound of MIDI.

alright, I think I'll just take time and use FL, I really hate the sound of MIDI btw, should have mentioned that probably.

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 09:18 PM Reply

At 9/16/12 09:10 PM, NinjaGuy wrote:
At 9/16/12 09:06 PM, samulis wrote: I started on LMMS using Soundfonts, perhaps try that. Also consider Anvil Studio, but that doesn't do much justice to your composition unless you like the sound of MIDI.

alright, I think I'll just take time and use FL, I really hate the sound of MIDI btw, should have mentioned that probably.

LMMS isn't that bad. It has some good occilators and whatever else you need, plus you can use vsts and soundfonts which is nice. I had pretty good results using it, and it's free.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
PirateCrab
PirateCrab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 9/16/12 09:02 PM, NinjaGuy wrote: I need a program to write various types of music in. If you know of something for one style, sound, or genre, please let me know, I'm all ears for anything. I have been working with fl10 demo, and its just too complicated, if you know where I can learn, please point me that way, but I really want something I can get free, not for mixing, mastering, or recording, but for writing songs completely on my laptop.

Are you using a Mac or a PC?

For Mac, you could start with grageband to get a feel for how the DAW's work, or for PC, you could use a similar one known as Mixcraft. They all come with their own VST's/Audio Unit's etc. to produce your own sounds and these were what I started with.

Once you get a feel for them, I would definitely suggest moving to a more professional DAW such as Cubase/Logic/Pro Tools/Sonar etc. Every DAW has it's own workflow and pro's/negative's to each one, so try a few out and find one you feel comfortable with. Master the workflow as best you can and constantly expand your VST's and Sample's over time to what you deem necessary to produce awesome work!

Takes time dude, but you'll learn everything in the end :) If you ever have any questions feel free to throw a PM my way!

Gawd dammit sheesh
Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 02:18 PM Reply

At 9/17/12 02:10 PM, PirateCrab wrote: Mixcraft. They all come with their own VST's/Audio Unit's etc.

Be careful with Mixcraft. One sample you sampled from Mixcraft library can get you banned on Newgrounds. Same goes for GarageBand's loop.

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 04:34 PM Reply

Ableton isn't that hard...
Heck, 2 tutorials and I fully understood the concept of how it worked (structure wise, I'm still learning effects, etc).

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

adilovemetal
adilovemetal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 02:25 AM Reply

1) Fl Studio 10 for composing Music
2_ REAPER DAW for recording your instruments (guitar, bass, vocals etc)
'nuff said

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 02:30 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 02:25 AM, adilovemetal wrote: 1) Fl Studio 10 for composing Music
'nuff said

ASIO4ALL not good enough for you bro?

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
NinjaGuy
NinjaGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 12:16 AM Reply

I'm using a PC, still haven't had much time to work on some tutorials, I have quite a bit going on right now. Thanks for all the responses, I would appreciate as many as possible, as it seems there are and endless amount of composition, mixing, editing, and recording software available for use, its just a matter of weeding through them all, and I am very grateful for any help I can receive in the process. As of now, I've downloaded Adobe Audition 3.0, Finale Notepad, and FLStudio 10, and LMMS. All of which are demos, of course excluding the free ones. Of them, FL is seemingly the simplest to use, as well as Audacity, but recording isn't much of a challenge for me, as I typically get good takes, and have little trouble in that area, though fully computerized composition is still a sizable challenge for me.

tl;dr keep responding, I use a PC.

BBS Signature
kopacetic
kopacetic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM Reply

FL Studio, in my opinion, is by far the simplest music software out there. I don't think there's a music software that's free though.

Hi! - I make music as a hobby. I also like anime and video games :3

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 12:43 PM Reply

If your looking for software, you can find everything you need in this giant list of music production tools here! I know it says "Mac," but many of them are cross platform, meaning they work for PC as well!

NinjaGuy
NinjaGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 9/19/12 12:43 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: If your looking for software, you can find everything you need in this giant list of music production tools here! I know it says "Mac," but many of them are cross platform, meaning they work for PC as well!

The point is for you guise to respond with your experiences, and advise upon a specific software, or group of software best suited for my scenario.

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 12:21 AM Reply

At 9/19/12 08:52 AM, kopacetic wrote: FL Studio, in my opinion, is by far the simplest music software out there. I don't think there's a music software that's free though.

I would tend to disagree but I guess that all comes down to taste! :)
As for -FREE- ones, you could try Mulab. It's not "amazing" but it will get you started.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Music Need Help Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 12:23 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 02:25 AM, adilovemetal wrote: 1) Fl Studio 10 for composing Music
'nuff said

Plus fucking 1 bro