New Topic Respond to this Topic
benjadaninja
benjadaninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Game Developer
Help on Mixing Vocs Please? Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 05:15 AM Reply

I just made this song and overall I am pretty stoked on the outcome. I'd say it's done to the best of my ability. However, I know it could be much better. I really want to learn how to improve my mixing on logic pro 8. I want to know what would be the best compressor settings to use and how to equalize it perfectly. If you guys could give me some advice, It would be very helpful.

Thanks so much!
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Help on Mixing Vocs Please? Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 05:39 AM Reply

depends on the genre and the vocal performance... generally i use a very high ratio (like 10:1 at least) and then adjust the threshold to taste. this is with a normalized audio file too. eq is also never really set in stone but i like to scoop low mids and cut extreme lows and highs in nearly all cases, specific frequencies depend on a lot of things! where you put the eq in the chain is important too, you might want to place an eq before to make the comp a little less reactive and then an eq after to shape the vocal tone more.

mind you i pretty much never use multiband comps on vocals and instead opt for a de-ess & compressor combo with eq in between. the more tracks of vocals i use for one part the less i try to process them.

p.s. i am gay