Shablo5
Shablo5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 02:39 AM Reply

Hi there!

I'm looking for a composer who would like to help (For free) on a non-profit, hobby video game project. The bottom of this post will have a small synopsis of the story.
The kind of composer I am looking for is one who wants to build a portfolio. If you are top notch and professional I am not against bringing you on with my small team, but at the same time I don't expect to pull those kinds of people. If you are just looking to build a portfolio, you'll definitely have the direction and ability to do so with us.
I'd prefer the composer to have a wide variety of either virtual or real instruments at their disposal. Virtual is A-OK. The style of music that will compose the score can be anything from quick rock battle sequence tracks, to an ambient track with strings and drums, to a very specific scene requiring maybe a piano and violin. Of course, I will leave most of these decisions up to you, but I will give you direction when the piece is requested. I won't send you an email stating "I need a battle track, thanks" and that's that. You'll know exactly what the setting is, what the player will be doing in the setting, etc.

I prefer more realistic music, as opposed to 8bit or that "Era" sounding music.

You'd be asked to create anywhere from 10 to 25 tracks, and you'll have a good 8 months to produce it. So don't feel rushed. Myself, my writer, my two artists, we're all working people. This is a non-profit, for hobby and fun project that we are all working together on. If you want to help us out, that would be great.

The game is using the engine RpgMaker VXA, and we are doing what ever we can to bring the most and then some out of the engine, both with mechanics and presentation, as well as story and setting.

If this interests you, please feel free to reply or PM me. Please be mature, and respectful.

Thanks for reading!

Here's a short synopsis of the story:
Thymiria- Guardian of Creation
Our story revolves around a young male Lucis, who has a family secret; his family guards the knowledge of the days of Ancients, where the gods communicated with the first children of the lands The Cael. The Cael were blessed with unique powers and abilities, including the use of magic. But soon their powers would lead to divide. War and strife would tear the ancient world apart separating the gods and the firsts from Thymiria leaving behind only their tales which were lost in time. All Magic was purged from the lands or so most had thought. Only Lucis family knew of the days of old and the sacred objects that were touched by the gods. For a long time things were dormant all of ancient Thymiria was forgotten, but a dark being soon rose King Atrox. This evil male has plans to take control of all of Thymiria by finding the path of creation, the sacred place the gods reside. Young Lucis his friends, Ella, Naomi and Oruk must journey across the lands gathering the tools of creation to stop the evil king Atrox before he plunges the lands into darkness and chaos again. With help from magical beings, Lucis and his friends will face challenges from taking on spirits to the Cael themselves. Will Lucis prove he is worthy to protect the path of creation? Or will Atrox take control and twist Thymiria into his own dark realm? Lead your party through the lands to level up their skills and abilities in this action RPG game. Choose your way through several paths as you bring Lucis closer to becoming the true guardian of creation. And remember the Cael are watching over you.

Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 03:33 AM Reply

Sounds awesome, but I'm still not up to the stage of composing that I want to be... *sadface*

Still, I wanted to show some expression of interest, as this is a long-term project you are talking about, and I have no idea how much I'll improve in 8 or so months.

So here I am posting here.

If you become desperate and no professionals/veterans on this site wants to help you out, you can ask of me to make you some tracks and I'll see what I can do.

It would probably consist of mainly covers of some beautiful piano pieces, as I do have useful skills on the piano, but I might wipe up something of my own... who knows?

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 03:36 AM Reply

At 9/16/12 03:33 AM, Jeromia wrote: If you become desperate and no professionals/veterans on this site wants to help you out, you can ask of me to make you some tracks and I'll see what I can do.

But I lol at this, there's tons of awesome musicians around this site and tons of people would jump at the chance of helping you out on your project XD

heh

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

Shablo5
Shablo5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 03:48 AM Reply

At 9/16/12 03:36 AM, Jeromia wrote:
At 9/16/12 03:33 AM, Jeromia wrote: If you become desperate and no professionals/veterans on this site wants to help you out, you can ask of me to make you some tracks and I'll see what I can do.
But I lol at this, there's tons of awesome musicians around this site and tons of people would jump at the chance of helping you out on your project XD
heh

Hey, thanks for showing interest. Honestly, the last time I thought of Newgrounds was when I was still in high school, looking for some cool flash games to play. When someone told me of the art and music portals here, I was amazed by what I heard. Even the less popular composers are just as talented as the most popular. There is quite a bit of talent on this website, that's for sure.

Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 04:26 AM Reply

At 9/16/12 03:48 AM, Shablo5 wrote: When someone told me of the art and music portals here, I was amazed by what I heard. Even the less popular composers are just as talented as the most popular. There is quite a bit of talent on this website, that's for sure.

I agree with you on that one. Anyways, I wish you good luck on your project :)

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 05:37 AM Reply

Up to 25 tracks all for free? That's a really, really tall order. I respect that it's non-profit but since there's such a large workload, I'd highly suggest getting more composers on board. You seem to want a few different genres/styles for your tracks too, and it's impossible for one composer to be amazing at each genre, so getting a variety will help you allocate certain songs to specific people who are skills at the particular genres.

Your game sounds very interesting though! Good luck.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Shablo5
Shablo5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 05:47 AM Reply

At 9/16/12 05:37 AM, Step wrote: Up to 25 tracks all for free? That's a really, really tall order. I respect that it's non-profit but since there's such a large workload, I'd highly suggest getting more composers on board. You seem to want a few different genres/styles for your tracks too, and it's impossible for one composer to be amazing at each genre, so getting a variety will help you allocate certain songs to specific people who are skills at the particular genres.

Your game sounds very interesting though! Good luck.

I understand it's nothing small when I ask for an entire score to be composed, but I think with 8 months total being the projected timeframe, that some people may be able to do it as I and the rest of my team handle our duties, on a very relaxed "Part Time" basis.

Nobody needs to be amazing at each Genre, nor does the score need to be perfect. I am a hobbyist, my writer is a hobbyist, the only one who is professional is one of my artists. So I don't require professional grade work. Just looking for someone with a passion for games to put some time aside every now and then to compose for our little project.

I'm not sure how I feel about multiple composers, as more often than not "Too many cooks spoils the stew" or however that saying goes, but it may be an option.

Thanks for giving your feedback, hopefully I could address any concerns you or anyone else had for the future.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 06:15 AM Reply

At 9/16/12 05:47 AM, Shablo5 wrote: I'm not sure how I feel about multiple composers, as more often than not "Too many cooks spoils the stew" or however that saying goes, but it may be an option.

Personally if I were you, with such a large workload, I'd get a small team of composers. Something like three or four. Big enough to be able to split the workload but small enough to keep the team close. I don't see any disadvantages to this; having diverse styles and splitting the workload are both good things and if you get more than one composer these will both be possible.

Also, 10 - 25 tracks in eight months can still be pretty demanding. Some people take pretty long to finish tracks, especially if they take it as part time. I know I'll have trouble with that workload myself! Then again, some people are a lot quicker and eight months would be far more than enough time for them, so I dunno.

Well, it's your call. If I had to suggest any composers:

Tomppaah
SkyeWintrest
PeterSatera
KKSlider60
RetromanOMG
TheBenjerman
BenjaminTibbetts
Bosa
samulis
varrin7

BBS Signature
Shablo5
Shablo5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 06:24 AM Reply

At 9/16/12 06:15 AM, Step wrote:
At 9/16/12 05:47 AM, Shablo5 wrote: I'm not sure how I feel about multiple composers, as more often than not "Too many cooks spoils the stew" or however that saying goes, but it may be an option.
Personally if I were you, with such a large workload, I'd get a small team of composers. Something like three or four. Big enough to be able to split the workload but small enough to keep the team close. I don't see any disadvantages to this; having diverse styles and splitting the workload are both good things and if you get more than one composer these will both be possible.

Also, 10 - 25 tracks in eight months can still be pretty demanding. Some people take pretty long to finish tracks, especially if they take it as part time. I know I'll have trouble with that workload myself! Then again, some people are a lot quicker and eight months would be far more than enough time for them, so I dunno.

Well, it's your call. If I had to suggest any composers:

Tomppaah
SkyeWintrest
PeterSatera
KKSlider60
RetromanOMG
TheBenjerman
BenjaminTibbetts
Bosa
samulis
varrin7

I appreciate all of your insight and opinions on the matter, after all, it is I who is new around here. I will have to think about what you suggest, with the small team of composers. Like I said, I am not expecting big names and professional grade work, but if it makes it easier on the composers themselves, and doesn't hurt the project, why not, right?

Thanks again for your opinions and suggestions.

This topic is still relevant, if anyone is indeed interested in participating or contributing to the project.

LazyBucks
LazyBucks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 09:05 AM Reply

Sounds like fun to me, but 25 tracks is too much for me since I've got college also.

I could happy make 3-4, or even use some of my current ones, I like the idea of a team.
Check out some of my tracks here anyway and lemme know in a PM what the story is.

JKOL
JKOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 10:38 AM Reply

I might be interested in making a few tracks aswell.
Few examples of my music: http://soundcloud.com/JKOL

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 10:44 AM Reply

I'd be able to do some, but I can't really do much else than orchestral/cinematic/orchambient, so you'd probably want to find someone good at rock or whatever other genre(s) you want. As Step said, I'd definitely recommend getting multiple people to work on a score like this, especially as a non-profit due to the lack of incentive to keep working (although all newer composers like myself love working on almost anything, we DO have limits, and things like money can offer that incentive to do crazy things like write the score to a massive RPG in a week, but there's no need to worry about paying us if you can't).

Although I like working quickly through projects, I'm back to school so time is slim and I'd probably need at least 4 of those eight months to finish ~10-15 orchestral loops (or just a good focused production over the Holiday Break).

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 10:56 AM Reply

I would love to assist with this. I can make just about any genre of music you can think of for an area/battle/cutscene/whatever, and I make sure that it is quality. Only thing is, I can take awhile to make a song - part of it is finding an idea that would work, another part is actually making it. Then again, the reason that it takes awhile is because I'm determined to make it GOOD.

You can use any of the songs I've already made as long as I'm credited, and I am willing to make custom music as well (though as I said, that might take a little bit). PM me if you want any custom music. :)

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 11:36 AM Reply

PMed you a while ago.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Shablo5
Shablo5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 01:59 PM Reply

Hey there guys. Let me start off by saying thanks for all of your explanations. I'd rather get a small team than get nobody at all, and as long as it's all beneficial to the project, I suppose it doesn't matter at all if I get a few of you.

I will PM each of you individually if what you have matches our project, even if it is just one genre. I Don't mean to offend anyone, and I appreciate all of your maturity when responding to me. It's not always the case when looking for help.

Shablo5
Shablo5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 09:37 PM Reply

I've sent out mails to a few of you so far, and am awaiting replies. Some may welcome the opportunity with open arms, some may not. So if you are looking at this thread and wanting to join in, please feel free to post as the rest have done. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Thanks all of you for contacting me. Even though this is a free RPG title that'll never make a single penny, I still want it to be the best it can be, and hope you will help me in accomplishing that goal.

PirateCrab
PirateCrab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 02:05 PM Reply

Welll if you're looking for any rock/metal style tracks, from battle tracks, original styled video game music or suspense building and so forth, I'm happy to give it a shot!

Here's an idea of the level I'm at, current remix I've done from Sonic 2.

• Mythic Mist (Mystic Cave)
    Mythic Mist (Mystic Cave) by PirateCrab

Mystic Cave Zone from Sonic 2 in METAL!

Score
    4.55 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity

Gawd dammit sheesh
Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

GershBeats
GershBeats
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 05:46 PM Reply

I'd be interested in working with you, although I don't want to take on any pressure. I'd be overjoyed to spend the time I normally spend anyways producing for you, although I don't want to be pushed by deadlines, quotas, etc. Otherwise, I'd love to see my music in a game.

Do my sounds interest you? I believe I'm capable of producing in many different genres and styles (dramatic, ambient, upbeat, melancholy, etc.)

This is what I've got on newgrounds (with more coming soon):

• Tales of the Storyteller
    Tales of the Storyteller by GershBeats

Dramatic Progressive House

Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    House
    Popularity
  • Sunrise Empire
    Sunrise Empire by GershBeats

Dramatic Instrumental Soundtrack

Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Techno
    Popularity

And this is my soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Let me know!

RaidenWarrior
RaidenWarrior
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 12:32 AM Reply

I just read about the project of yours. I would love to take part of it, too, as a composer, although I need to mind myself of schoolwork as well. I consider myself as an all-rounder, although I have good experience with orchestral scoring and trance genre.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 12:37 AM Reply

How far along the project have you gone?

I'd advise against asking for music until your game is at least Beta stage. Who knows what might happen? The project might fall through.

Shablo5
Shablo5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 01:31 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 12:37 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: How far along the project have you gone?

I'd advise against asking for music until your game is at least Beta stage. Who knows what might happen? The project might fall through.

I understand your concerns, but that's not likely to happen after i've put so much money into it. I don't think I could forgive myself if I did that.

Thank you for your words of advice though.

SilverPoyozo
SilverPoyozo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 08:10 AM Reply

• Forest of Myth
    Forest of Myth by SilverPoyozo

Deep in Ahuizotl's jungle...

Score
    4.08 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity
  • Praise the Sun (part I)
    Praise the Sun (part I) by SilverPoyozo

A tiny choir/strings piece

Score
    4.10 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity
  • Into the Storm
    Into the Storm by SilverPoyozo

...the winter is coming?

Score
    4.32 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity
  • Sailing to the Unknown
    Sailing to the Unknown by SilverPoyozo

An adventure/travelling ambient song

Score
    4.58 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 01:14 AM Reply

I strongly disagree with getting multiple composers. Yeah it would split the work load but that would be one mess of a soundtrack. There wouldn't be any real unity in the quality, sound or style. Every composer has their own voice, every producer has their own sound and different people have different amounts of experience, knowledge and each has different tools.

If you're making an RPG you want the music to help immerse the player in your world so I strongly recommend getting just one person to do it all or at the very least have one person handle all the production. You want tracks to balance nicely and that won't happen if you don't at least have a central "hub" to mix all the tracks in a similar way and control the sound spectrum.

I hope this helps... I know it takes you further from your goal time-wise but quality wise it should help.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
JJM121
JJM121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 11:49 AM Reply

I would love to try out for this. Don't think I'll have the time to make the entire amount of tracks that you're looking for but I'll gladly do 3-4 at least. Here's some of the tracks that I've made till now. Though, I'd love to try out different styles than what I'm used to as well.

Shablo5
Shablo5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:53 AM Reply

At 9/20/12 01:14 AM, MetalRenard wrote: I strongly disagree with getting multiple composers. Yeah it would split the work load but that would be one mess of a soundtrack. There wouldn't be any real unity in the quality, sound or style. Every composer has their own voice, every producer has their own sound and different people have different amounts of experience, knowledge and each has different tools.

If you're making an RPG you want the music to help immerse the player in your world so I strongly recommend getting just one person to do it all or at the very least have one person handle all the production. You want tracks to balance nicely and that won't happen if you don't at least have a central "hub" to mix all the tracks in a similar way and control the sound spectrum.

I hope this helps... I know it takes you further from your goal time-wise but quality wise it should help.

Time isn't an issue on a passion project. And I honestly believe you with what you say. It's why my two artists do two entirely different things. To me, it's like having 2 different concept artists, one taking a realistic approach and one taking an anime/cartoonish approach. It's clearly noticeable by common eyes. HOWEVER! That being said, Most people here do know music better than I, and many have expressed it being a good idea. So I am trying it. I've yet to have 3-8 tracks come together so I can properly see just how well they synergize, but i'll be trying it for now. Nothing wrong with taking advice, and if it doesn't work, then going with a new strategy right?

Sorry to anyone whom I haven't replied to, i'm only in here shortly before hitting the hay right now, it's been a hectic few days. I'll reply again later today after work and reply to anyone who tried to get my attention over the past few days. I won't be bringing a lot of people onboard, I want to keep it small for many of the reasons that were listed above.
Thanks for commenting and showing interest!

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:12 AM Reply

At 9/20/12 01:14 AM, MetalRenard wrote: I strongly disagree with getting multiple composers. Yeah it would split the work load but that would be one mess of a soundtrack. There wouldn't be any real unity in the quality, sound or style. Every composer has their own voice, every producer has their own sound and different people have different amounts of experience, knowledge and each has different tools.

I disagree strongly with your disagreement. Diversity is a good thing. As long as one musician doesn't make trance and the other makes orchestral and whatnot then the result will still be coherent and it will in fact provide a much more enjoyable experience without putting too much workload on just one musician (because let's face it, up to 25 tracks is an unimaginably large workload for one musician, whether for free OR for money).

Rules should be set to keep the soundtrack in line, such as having it make full use of the orchestra, for example, but honestly different musicians is a wonderful idea in my opinion. You could even get musicians who are particularly good at forest-like music and others who are good at battle music and so on, so you assign each of them a corresponding track that relates to their skill set and get an even better final result. You could even do things like propose the idea of two composers collaborating or have someone invent a recurring melody (leitmotif) for the RPG which will be used in various songs like the menu loop, main theme, final boss battle, or whatever. That'll certainly help tie it all together.

Sure it takes a bit more organisation, but in the end I think it's fairer on the musicians, more reliable and produces a more enjoyable final result. Don't forget also that the more people who work on a project, the larger the project will become. Each composer involved will share the project with his friends and fans, resulting in more exposure. And if people see things like five composers credited for the music instead of one, imagine how much better that looks. It hints at the suggestion of a large project with a lot of people dedicated to it. I honestly think having more musicians is just a much much better idea.

BBS Signature
Milkmanchrono
Milkmanchrono
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Sep. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:03 AM Reply

I am interested in your project and you can take a listen to my work at
Soundcloud.com/milkmanchrono. Please let me know I'd you are interested.

Clifford S. Coleman
Soundcloud.com/milkmanchrono

JayKayR1
JayKayR1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Composer Needed. Nonprofit Vg Proj. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:26 PM Reply

Hello. My name is Jose Miguel Santiago. I am currently looking for a position, anywhere in the video game industry as a music composer. I have been composing music for about 4 years now, and the genres that I compose is techno(any kind of techno), and orchestrated music. I am proficient in using ProTools, Ableton, and FL Studio.

Please reply back, and thank you for reading this message.

Jose Santiago

Youtube Channel for compositions:
http://www.youtube.com/user/JayKayR1?feature=mhee

Demo Reel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWLh2gUncWc