New Topic Respond to this Topic
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 09:49 PM Reply

At 9/24/12 09:56 PM, KillerSkull wrote: But I'm just stating the facts. It runs well if you know how to use it.

You can say exactly the same about any operating system ever, regardless of how well made it is.

Contraband678
Contraband678
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 9/24/12 09:56 PM, KillerSkull wrote: But I'm just stating the facts. It runs well if you know how to use it.

This is also usually the justification people use for technology with at least one fatal flaw. Hopefully, with the advent of all these mobile operating systems we will have more choices and the OS makers will be forced to compete to deliver a better product. That's not to say that there aren't advantages to a single, unified, widely used operating system like windows. Having almost all the major software and hardware available for use is definitely a plus, but monopolies do tend to kill innovation.

RevNation
RevNation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Programmer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Sep. 25th, 2012 @ 10:10 PM Reply

At 9/16/12 06:37 PM, Wurfel-Waffles wrote: Linux: Debian > BackTrack > Fedora > Mint > Gentoo > Ubuntu > Red Hat > Arch > OpenSUSE > Slackware > BackBox > Slax

Other UNIX-like: FreeBSD > Solaris > OpenBSD > OSX > NetBSD > BeOS

gentoo all day, compile everything but freebsd is nice too (ports)

AliMaredia
AliMaredia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 09:23 PM Reply

I have a dual boot on my laptop. Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10.

The only reason I still have Windows 7 is because gaming on Linux is garbage. Even with applications like Wine.

However, I'd choose Linux over any other OS.

Yes, I'm from Texas. No, I ain't a cowboy.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 04:29 AM Reply

I have an old Mac (OS7) of which I'm really fond. It has some features that were way before its time compared to Windows, along with a lot of fun games, especially multiplayer games for the same computer, which is another thing that's mostly missing on modern systems.

I'd still go with Windows though, mainly because it's more common and also what I've grown used to. I'm writing this on 64-bit Windows 7 Pro. So far, it hasn't let me down.

Zanthas
Zanthas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 04:31 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 04:29 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: I have an old Mac (OS7) of which I'm really fond. It has some features that were way before its time compared to Windows, along with a lot of fun games, especially multiplayer games for the same computer, which is another thing that's mostly missing on modern systems.

System 7 huh? I have one too, I love it. It's old as hell though. I used to love playing Power Pete on it.
The poor machine is sitting under my desk right now. I want to install Gentoo on it, and maybe give some life to the old machine, cause old hardware unused gets me sad for some reason.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 04:42 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 04:31 AM, Zanthas wrote: System 7 huh? I have one too, I love it. It's old as hell though. I used to love playing Power Pete on it.
The poor machine is sitting under my desk right now. I want to install Gentoo on it, and maybe give some life to the old machine, cause old hardware unused gets me sad for some reason.

Yeah it's old, like... 20 years? :D Haven't heard of Power Pete though, looks like I'm missing out. A few favorite game names that you might recognize: Spectre Supreme, Task maker, Space Gypsy, Marathon, Mortal Pongbat, Bolo, Barrack, The Zone, Exile, Frogger... that's all I can recall. There were so many great games back then!

I actually just bough a new (old) machine with OS8. It has 480MB RAM as compared to the default 24MB that they were sold with, so it's a real power package considering how old it is. :) It's also sitting under my desk. My OS7 machine is sitting above the desk (the kind you can place the monitor on). Meanwhile, I'm sitting by a different desk with this one. :)

Zanthas
Zanthas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 04:48 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 04:42 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Yeah it's old, like... 20 years? :D Haven't heard of Power Pete though, looks like I'm missing out. A few favorite game names that you might recognize: Spectre Supreme, Task maker, Space Gypsy, Marathon, Mortal Pongbat, Bolo, Barrack, The Zone, Exile, Frogger... that's all I can recall. There were so many great games back then!

I actually just bough a new (old) machine with OS8. It has 480MB RAM as compared to the default 24MB that they were sold with, so it's a real power package considering how old it is. :) It's also sitting under my desk. My OS7 machine is sitting above the desk (the kind you can place the monitor on). Meanwhile, I'm sitting by a different desk with this one. :)

I recognize Marathon, Exile and Frogger from what you listed. I was pretty young back then so I don't remember it very much, and yeah the games back then were great.
And damn that's alot of RAM for a computer that old. You should do something with it. Like a small files server, or something, just to give it some life again.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 04:58 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 04:48 AM, Zanthas wrote: I recognize Marathon, Exile and Frogger from what you listed. I was pretty young back then so I don't remember it very much, and yeah the games back then were great.

Glad to hear it. :) The games that I have for OS7 were the first ones I played, so they're all linked to a deep sense of nostalgia..

And damn that's alot of RAM for a computer that old. You should do something with it. Like a small files server, or something, just to give it some life again.

Haha, yeah. The computer had been used for editing film at some TV station before it retired, thus the amount. My plans for it revolve mostly around being able to play all old games at their best quality settings though, but who knows, maybe it will achieve some higher purpose later on! :)

Zanthas
Zanthas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 05:10 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 04:58 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Haha, yeah. The computer had been used for editing film at some TV station before it retired, thus the amount. My plans for it revolve mostly around being able to play all old games at their best quality settings though, but who knows, maybe it will achieve some higher purpose later on! :)

That's actually a good plan, I wouldn't have thought to do that, heh.

BBS Signature
zag
zag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 05:13 AM Reply

I'm definitely sticking to Windows.
I can't stand the GUI for Mac and I can't be bothered to try Linux.

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 01:39 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 12:47 PM, Ma1achi wrote: Linux does not have 'freedom', it cool though, but not really. Mac has advanced yet simple features unlike Window's and is immune to viruses.

Oh hell no, not another one talks about this.

Try out Arch Linux or Debian and you get the feel of freedom. It's not about freedom, but it's about creativity. Windows users have no creativity.

The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors. — Paulo Freire

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 01:46 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 12:47 PM, Ma1achi wrote: Windows is prone to viruses and crashing but great for gaming. Linux does not have 'freedom', it cool though, but not really. Mac has advanced yet simple features unlike Window's and is immune to viruses.

It's not immune at all, it just means that there's not the same demand for Mac as for Windows. Those who make viruses logically go with the bigger audience. A few years back someone made a virus for Mac just to show that it could be done. In a way it's a false sense of security with Macs since there is no layer of security if things really do start happening.

At 2/6/13 05:10 AM, Zanthas wrote: That's actually a good plan, I wouldn't have thought to do that, heh.

:)

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 01:50 PM Reply

Neither OS X and Linux are immune to malware. As long as these thing are around:

Java - during 2011-2012, hundreds of thousand of Mac users hit by Flashback trojan.

Java, Flash, Silverlight, JS - ZeroAccess rookit, both Mac and Win are vulnerable to this piece of goddamn malware. Main access tool for Blackhole exploit kit. Completely remove this rootkit? Good luck.

Even Apple denies the claim that OS X is immune to malware.

Don't live in fail impression of safety and never joke with security.

The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors. — Paulo Freire

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 01:53 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 01:50 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Don't live in fail impression of safety and never joke with security.

That's one of the big problems with Macs especially. People don't even know they need to do something to protect themselves, whereas it's completely obvious for any regular PC user.

DelRio1991
DelRio1991
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 02:56 PM Reply

If you have a favourite Operating System, please explain why you chose that Operating System and why it is superior to the other Operating Systems.

I like windows, but mostly because I'm used to using it.
I have tried mac, but it really infuriates me, not to mention the fact that mac doesn't have very many games and are ridiculously expensive.
I would love to try Linux, but I will probably need to wait until spring break, I need to be sure all my apps will work, if I can't use Dragon, I'm screwed.

I'm Del Rio
I like to draw comics and stuff
I also like watching Darkwing duck and eating burritos.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:18 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 02:56 PM, DelRio1991 wrote: if I can't use Dragon, I'm screwed.

There's always Chrome OS

But Google made that...
DelRio1991
DelRio1991
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:20 PM Reply

But Google made that...

I don't mind google, but it kinda bothers me that they're taking over every bit of the internet that they can."

It's like they're building a giant monopoly on every little thing they can, that involves computers

I had no idea they had their own OS

I'm Del Rio

BBS Signature
DelRio1991
DelRio1991
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:23 PM Reply

Stop twisting my words.

I don't like macs that much, but honestly, if someone is using one, that's their business.

It's really not that inferior to windows and there are less viruses, but I personally can't stand them.

BUT I really don't see a reason to badger people who choose to use them.

What they want to spend their money on is their business, not mine.

I'm Del Rio

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:28 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 03:17 PM, Ma1achi wrote: Sure, but right now viruses are made for Windows, so it's immune for now.

Stop twisting my words.

I'm guessing you missed Elitistinen's post? Through Java, hundreds of thousands of Mac users were infected with the Flashback trojan last year. Also the ZeroAccess rookit. According to Apple, their not immune at all.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:37 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 12:47 PM, Ma1achi wrote: Mac is immune to viruses.

oh god the level of wat

Windows, Mac, or Linux?

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 04:32 PM Reply

Windows is the obvious choice, macs are just shit.

Zanthas
Zanthas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 05:40 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 01:39 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Try out Arch Linux or Debian and you get the feel of freedom. It's not about freedom, but it's about creativity. Windows users have no creativity.

I'm honestly curious here. Why do you tell people to install BackTrack Linux in your sig? It's a tool. It's meant for security testing, not daily use. Plus it's meant as a Live Medium. I understand suggesting Debian or even Arch since there for desktop use, but BT? That's just makes you look like a skiddie imo.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 06:17 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 03:37 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: oh god the level of wat

The level of what?

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 10:31 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 05:40 PM, Zanthas wrote:
I'm honestly curious here. Why do you tell people to install BackTrack Linux in your sig? It's a tool. It's meant for security testing, not daily use. Plus it's meant as a Live Medium. I understand suggesting Debian or even Arch since there for desktop use, but BT? That's just makes you look like a skiddie imo.

I use BT as security auditing tool for my job. I know skids use BT because of the amount of sectools they packed in the distro. But believe or not, BT is industry standard tool for sysadmin, pentester, netadmin and basically who has to deal with security everyday. So yeah, I think it's cool to suggest BT under there.

Arch for power use, Debian for server, BT for security, Fedora for development and Ubuntu for daily use. ;) Each has their own purpose.

Lepy
Lepy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 10:44 PM Reply

I'm all for Windows.

I dual booted Ubuntu onto my computer once. The file browser was insanely slow. Slower than Windows'.
That's obviously not to say that Ubuntu's a bad alternative, it's just that it's not the best for me.
I also didn't like the side bar thing. That was legitimately wonky for me, and I just didn't like it, which is why I prefer the older versions of Ubuntu.

And I don't quite think Macs are worth it. I've never had much time with one. The asthetics are nice, but I wouldn't pay $300-$500+ more for a laptop / desktop that looks nice and runs decent over a laptop / desktop that looks decent and runs amazingly.
You can rule out the "looking nice" variable for the desktops. I could just buy a good looking monitor and case if I really wanted to.

Happygrounder
Happygrounder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 10:53 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 10:44 PM, Lepy wrote: I dual booted Ubuntu onto my computer once. The file browser was insanely slow. Slower than Windows'.

Inb4 idiots say Ubuntu transfer file slower than Windows.

Here is some fact.

Zanthas
Zanthas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 11:04 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 10:31 PM, Elitistinen wrote: I use BT as security auditing tool for my job. I know skids use BT because of the amount of sectools they packed in the distro. But believe or not, BT is industry standard tool for sysadmin, pentester, netadmin and basically who has to deal with security everyday. So yeah, I think it's cool to suggest BT under there.

Arch for power use, Debian for server, BT for security, Fedora for development and Ubuntu for daily use. ;) Each has their own purpose.

Fair enough. I was just curious why. I doubt there are many people on NG who if they needed a security testing tool, would not know about it already, but I get your point.

And as for the other distros, I know their uses, and I use them as well, I was just really wondering about BT.

BBS Signature
Zanthas
Zanthas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Windows, Mac, or Linux? Feb. 7th, 2013 @ 11:06 PM Reply

At 2/7/13 10:53 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 2/7/13 10:44 PM, Lepy wrote: I dual booted Ubuntu onto my computer once. The file browser was insanely slow. Slower than Windows'.
Inb4 idiots say Ubuntu transfer file slower than Windows.

Here is some fact.

He could have tried it when Unity/GNOME3 Shell was still new and buggy causing Nautilus to lag. Don't really think its fair to call someone an idiot like that.

BBS Signature