New Topic Respond to this Topic
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 14th, 2012 @ 11:03 PM Reply

It is an interesting quandary that we come upon. It also seems like something more specific to the United States than in other countries when it comes to choosing our leaders. Some countries government fear their people, while we praise and blame and do more fighting among one another on political issues than people in politics.

However a lot of people when voting for president look for something. Whether it be in some sort of background they come from and their character. Which I believe is what it boils down to. We're not really voting for a person, we are voting for a character. It's just in who is more real and who isn't.

I saw a video talking about what he would want in a president and I think he hit pretty well on this notion, which if what he says you can abide by then you should be voting for the Green Party candidate Roseanne Barr for president.

The question is though, what would you want in a president?

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 14th, 2012 @ 11:19 PM Reply

At 9/14/12 11:03 PM, The-Great-One wrote: The question is though, what would you want in a president?

Sincerity in his views, and the assertiveness to carry out his agenda.
I'd want someone who has a clear idea of what he wants. Someone that isn't afraid to take a stance even on controversial issues.

One of the things that upsets me about politics is that leaders seem so obsessed with winning the political game- in winning elections- that they're willing to sacrifice their principles in order to do it.

Beyond that, I'd prefer a president that's socially liberal, but I'm more flexible about other issues (I.E. economics). Primarily because I'm less informed on them. If the president had the qualities described above then I'd be more flexible on all issues but I'd still have to agree with him on major controversies.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 12:40 AM Reply

Somebody who can relate his views to personal experience, and is comfortable in relating those experiences no matter how bad it makes his past-self look. I love the concept of ideological growth in human beings, and as such, I'm not bothered by "flip-floppers". That said, I do hate Romney, just for other reasons. Nobody woke up one day with a firm hatred of homosexuals and wanted to deny them marriage as punishment for their existence. People ponder, research, and sometimes experience things that interest them, leading them to a verdict they are satisfied with. And what about people who just repeat what they see or hear on TV? Don't bludgeon them with facts or hate messages. Acknowledge that they're opinion is on the same level as yours and MAYBE someday the common person will harbor the same viewpoint you do.

Say a candidate wants investments in clean energy and more affordable education. That sounds so wonderful and beautiful to me that I want to vote for him ASAP. But what I would ask of Obam-err, this candidate, is what exactly makes these things sound so appealing to him? Is it just sweet talk for certain demographics that I fall under? Or does he really feel educating our youth and making a cleaner, safer place to live somehow is more important than killing Muslims? If these issues have gotten disregarded for so long or so thoroughly, how did it get to this, and how do we intend to stop making the same mistakes? When I feel a candidate has two faces, I don't want to know which face I'm currently talking to. I want to know what horrible accident caused his facial reconstruction surgery, if you catch my meaning.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Knis
Knis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 07:46 AM Reply

Commitment to carry out the will of the people of he united States as dictated by congress within the boundaries of the law.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 08:40 AM Reply

I just want an aggressive yet friendly character who will show to these middle eastern nations why they cannot produce WMD and just basically toughen up on foreign policy. Also someone who is dedicated to make the right choices, regardless of the affect it may have on there popularity.

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 12:10 PM Reply

In a President, I want someone who tries to give people more freedom and doesn't say that any kind of person for any difference is better or worse than anyone else. It should be someone who isn't afraid to put forth new ideas that intellectual people should agree on and ones that allow us to become higher ranked around the world in areas such as education.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Th-e
Th-e
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

I want a President who gets the job done and gets it done right!

I also want a President who listens to the people and does what is in the best interests of the people, whether left or right wing or somewhere in between.

Obama has not gotten the job done. I see myself as an example of Obama's failures; I got a Master's Degree in Human Factors Engineering (HFE) last November, but I have been forced to take classes since then because I can't get a job!!! I have a job on campus, but I have to take classes to mainain it. I have applied for HFE jobs, low-end jobs, everything since that time, but I got nothing, and have to return to the classroom.

I am paying more for my classes than I am getting from work, and loans are holding me up. I have been on campus since 2002 (for various reasons, such as changing majors), and I have about $85,000 in loans to pay back eventually.

If I drop the classes, I go home unemployed, and businesses will be even less interested in hiring me. I am still living with my parents, and I feel like I might be stuck taking these classes for the rest of my life.

I am convinced I am the sole example among Engineering Masters, but there are others out there in other fields struggling.

I want a President who can get me employment.

Feel no mercy for me. It will only cause you to suffer as well.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 07:02 PM Reply

At 9/15/12 07:46 AM, Knis wrote: Commitment to carry out the will of the people of he united States as dictated by congress within the boundaries of the law.

This. If only these people existed.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 08:34 PM Reply

At 9/15/12 07:46 AM, Knis wrote:
Commitment to carry out the will of the people of he united States as dictated by congress within the boundaries of the law.

Yes, but the problem with that is that congress does not carry out the will of the people.

BBS Signature
Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 08:57 PM Reply

At 9/15/12 08:34 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/15/12 07:46 AM, Knis wrote:
Yes, but the problem with that is that congress does not carry out the will of the people.

Because the government is not supposed to carry out the Will of the People. It's exactly the kind of thing the Founders were trying to prevent.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 09:57 PM Reply

What I want in a president is the charm of Ronald Reagan, the unparalleled effectiveness of Franklin Roosevelt, the charisma of John Kennedy, and the ability to guide, as George Washington did as president.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 01:32 AM Reply

At 9/15/12 08:57 PM, Warforger wrote: Because the government is not supposed to carry out the Will of the People. It's exactly the kind of thing the Founders were trying to prevent.

Then perhaps I have been mistaken somewhere. Why do we have the House of Representatives and the Senate in the first place then?

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 01:43 AM Reply

At 9/16/12 01:32 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/15/12 08:57 PM, Warforger wrote: Because the government is not supposed to carry out the Will of the People. It's exactly the kind of thing the Founders were trying to prevent.
Then perhaps I have been mistaken somewhere. Why do we have the House of Representatives and the Senate in the first place then?

Conspiracy theory

Dawnslayer
Dawnslayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 01:52 AM Reply

It seems to me that the best presidents in history, regardless of their affiliation, are those who welcome dissenting voices into their inner circle. Likewise, the worst are those who surround themselves with yes-men and ignore or even suppress dissension. To be willing to see an issue from an opposing point of view is to have the power to find a solution that even one's opponents can agree to.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 11:24 AM Reply

some one like Teddy Roosevelt.

Xiicubed
Xiicubed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 01:08 PM Reply

i want a president that promotes marxist communism

Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 01:32 PM Reply

At 9/16/12 01:32 AM, The-Great-One wrote:

The Senate was originally elected by the states, not by the people. The Founders wanted a government that ruled by the consent of the people, but didn't carry out the will of the people rather the Common Interest. To them they feared a mobacracy , where the fleeting passions decided issues. They wanted a government which moderated the Will Of the People, not carry it out. This is why you see leaders getting criticized for doing what is popular. The Senate is the perfect example, to the Founders the House was going to be filled with the direct voice of the people and thus would be more unstable whereas the Senate was going to be filled with more intelligent people and thus the Senate is the one which convicts the President of Impeachment. This is also why the Electoral College determines the President rather than the popular vote.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
MattZone
MattZone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 02:55 PM Reply

I want a President who believes in and will practice limited government, who understands that there are only two proper roles of government: to prevent the outcomes that no one wants and to provide the public goods and services that everyone wants but that individuals, companies, cities, or states cannot provide on their own. I want a President who understands that government is not meant to control every aspect of our lives, from conception to death.

I want a President who understands the difficulties of the destitute, the working class, the middle class, the wealthy, and the super-rich. I want a President who has a vision for how everyone can get better economically, without resorting to class warfare like "screw the poor" or "eat the rich". I want a President who understands Capitalism and free trade, including the drawbacks of both. I want a President who will work with Congress to simplify the tax code so that everyone pays their fair share. I want a President who will work with Congress to reduce spending, so that the fair share that everyone pays doesn't keep growing larger and larger.

I want a President who understands that individual morality should be left to individuals and their religions, or lack thereof, just as long as no one else has to pay for the consequences of an individuals actions.

I want a President who can be trusted to represent the United States and its interests in a way that isn't embarrassing.

I want a President who dreams of a better life for everyone, and who has the abilities that it takes to help turn that dream into a reality.

Baby-Bottle-Bob
Baby-Bottle-Bob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:53 AM Reply

I want a president that's not going to raise the taxes so high, that I have to shit my pants. Hobamas trynna pull this shit about raising taxes on the rich will strengthen the middle class, and that shit is so not true I want to vomic. All he's fucking doing is a exponential tax growth for the more money you make, and it only iencourages people to not want to become rich, causing the government to have more money.

If fuckin retards would actually look at what presidents are trynna do and stop votin because he's black, or he's a democrate, this would be a more sensible election, but instead you got dumbasses voting because they look at one stratagy and say that is better.

Fuckin retards falling for propaganda.

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 10:59 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:53 AM, Baby-Bottle-Bob wrote: it only iencourages people to not want to become rich, causing the government to have more money.

Yeah, I'd turn down being a millionaire because of my high tax rate. Even though I'd still be a millionaire after the taxes were paid.

Makes perfect sense.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 11:35 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 10:53 AM, Baby-Bottle-Bob wrote: Fuckin retards falling for propaganda.

Seems like you're the one falling for the anti-tax propoganda.

If you had enough money to be in the highest bracket, you'd still be loaded in money, even after you paid taxes.

Oh, and a differential of 10% from those making 50K to those making 250K is hardly exponential. If only people did the slightest bit of neuron firing before they sputed off.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 9/18/12 11:35 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
If you had enough money to be in the highest bracket, you'd still be loaded in money, even after you paid taxes.

The issue isn't money. It's a moral issue. Who the hell says government is owed any part of money I earn. Last time I checked, taking someone's property, without their consent is called thievery.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 04:44 PM Reply

At 9/18/12 03:09 PM, LemonCrush wrote: The issue isn't money. It's a moral issue. Who the hell says government is owed any part of money I earn. Last time I checked, taking someone's property, without their consent is called thievery.

Actually it's well within the bounds of the 5th Amendment.

Also, it's thievery to make use of services without paying for it.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 09:25 PM Reply

I would prefer a president who is committed to having a smaller government and cutting the deficit, instead of trying to add to it. An ideal president would also be assertive enough in foreign policy and in domestic issues as well, but also to be flexible when necessary, without the need of being too accommodating or simply try to please everyone. Above all, A president should be effective, charismatic, and at the very least somewhat accountable for any major screw ups that could happen, and have the competency to do so in a efficient manner if need be.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Thecrazyman
Thecrazyman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Gamer
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 09:53 PM Reply

At 9/15/12 05:42 PM, Th-e wrote: I want a President who gets the job done and gets it done right!

I also want a President who listens to the people and does what is in the best interests of the people, whether left or right wing or somewhere in between.

Obama has not gotten the job done. I see myself as an example of Obama's failures; I got a Master's Degree in Human Factors Engineering (HFE) last November, but I have been forced to take classes since then because I can't get a job!!! I have a job on campus, but I have to take classes to mainain it. I have applied for HFE jobs, low-end jobs, everything since that time, but I got nothing, and have to return to the classroom.

I am paying more for my classes than I am getting from work, and loans are holding me up. I have been on campus since 2002 (for various reasons, such as changing majors), and I have about $85,000 in loans to pay back eventually.

If I drop the classes, I go home unemployed, and businesses will be even less interested in hiring me. I am still living with my parents, and I feel like I might be stuck taking these classes for the rest of my life.

I am convinced I am the sole example among Engineering Masters, but there are others out there in other fields struggling.

I want a President who can get me employment.

I be the one to do that job if elected as President (Great Chief) of the United States in the year 2020, I already know what I'm in for considering the fact I be the first Independent to ever make such a run since General of the Armies George Washington but I also be the youngest since JFK and the 1st one under the age of 40 to do so to prove a critical point that Age & Maturity just don't mix, most importantly I also be the first Native American decedent ever to do so and I know full well there are those out there that have sheer intent to kill me because of it, but I don't care, I say "Threaten me all you will for if you make good on your threats, you WILL BE DEALT WITH!!!, but if one makes ill on there threats well then the individual may have learned the lesson the easy way."

Why some will attempt to kill me in the oval office due to my native American blood? Because some will think I will boot all others out of this nation but I have news for them, all who are born within North America are native to North America itself (United States of America, Canada and even Mexico), with or without the blood of the native kin matters not, what matters so, THIS IS OUR HOMELAND!

That said if I was elected as President (Great Chief) of the United States, I simply do the job and work for the American people by the Needs of the American people, no more false multiple promises that end up getting broken and that's why our current President has failed to do what he promise he do.

Blue-SilverDragon
Blue-SilverDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 18th, 2012 @ 11:56 PM Reply

I want a President who will work for the good of the nation- find a way to balance the needs of what all US citizens have voiced as to what they want out of their Preisdent and elected officials in Congress, as well as be good at foreign policy, helping to mediate problems currently faced and those that arise in the future.

"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 19th, 2012 @ 03:23 PM Reply

big cocks?

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 09:43 AM Reply

I'm with these guy's for your next President

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19594334

Couldn't IMo be any worse than the last couple you've had !

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Sep. 20th, 2012 @ 10:22 AM Reply

I'm not an American, but even so I know what America should have for a president and a government in general.

The people need representatives, the people need politicians who keep their word.
The people need politicians that are humans; Humans that have emotional ties to the people and what effects them.
Politicians that have a high school level understanding of science, and economics at the very least.
A government that is entirely separate from any and all religious views and activities.
A government that is entirely separate from corporations, and where campaign money is set at a limit.
A president and government that are extremely transparent and clear to the people, and do not hide behind legalize.
A government who supports and advocates human rights and freedoms, and insures all have the basics to live (water, food).
A president that is decided by alternative voting (list which person you favor most for presidency from 1 -to- #).

...just for starters.

dark-fox
dark-fox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You Want In A President? Oct. 1st, 2012 @ 12:44 AM Reply

At 9/18/12 03:09 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 9/18/12 11:35 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
The issue isn't money. It's a moral issue. Who the hell says government is owed any part of money I earn. Last time I checked, taking someone's property, without their consent is called thievery.

Ha, then how would you have the government maintain the economy or fund policies? Make people pay for only things they agree with?

If anyone wants an invite to a site that gives you free stuff I got's it:
http://superpoints.com/refer/darkfo x777

BBS Signature