New Topic Respond to this Topic
raffea
raffea
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 07:20:51 Reply

Hi, I'm looking to learn how to draw and whatnot. I would like to know what best programs to use and any tips you can give me. And how I can develop my own style. Thanks

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 08:42:28 Reply

This is such an open ended request, it's rather hard to offer anything.
Check out the tutorials that Art101 has to offer though.

ZombieWhale
ZombieWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 08:47:22 Reply

At 9/14/12 08:42 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: This is such an open ended request, it's rather hard to offer anything.
Check out the tutorials that Art101 has to offer though.

Anything by This man. And don't just draw the examples he has in the book and post them on here...

I hate it when people do that.
raffea
raffea
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 09:02:41 Reply

Thanks, for the links and I know that this was hard to answer to... What Programs do you guys use? Flash, photoshop, gimp or anything else? Thanks in advance.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 10:11:12 Reply

At 9/14/12 09:02 AM, raffea wrote: Thanks, for the links and I know that this was hard to answer to... What Programs do you guys use? Flash, photoshop, gimp or anything else? Thanks in advance.

People use all sorts of things.
Here's a list of programs, also on Art101.
A number of people here also cover traditional art mediums, such as pencil, charcoal and paint.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 13:11:11 Reply

At 9/14/12 08:47 AM, ZombieWhale wrote: Anything by This man. And don't just draw the examples he has in the book and post them on here...

I hate it when people do that.

Man, I really Hate Chris Hart's stuff. It is the most watered down of the watered down anime bull shit out there. Everything he does is ridiculously flat and boring. I'm surprised he actually gets published at all
You'd be better off going with just almost anything else...

@op
I see that your really digging at knowing what programs that more advanced artist use. Honestly, don't worry about that. Having the top notch programs and tools won't make you an artist, but instead will be a very expensive mistake. Go and learn drawing from step one by putting pencil to paper. After you start to really understand the basics and concepts of Art, then you'll have a much easier time transferring to the digital platform.

Here is the drawspace Beginner Area, There is lots really good tutorials there to help you get started. It will seem very boring at first, and you'll be drawing shapes and basic things, but these things will be key to having much better art skills later on.

Same goes for drawing more realistic stuff. When you start to master more realistic drawing, drawing cartoons will be much easier because you will "Know" how they are suppose to look and where to exaggerate them to make them amusing.

As for a book to recommend would be "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards
I'd also recommend "Anatomy and Drawing" Vincent Perard
A photo pose book would be good too, although drawing from life is much better.

Good luck on your journey. I hope it is a fruitful one.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
raffea
raffea
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 13:19:41 Reply

Wow thanks so much for the detailed answer. Do you guys have any e-books you recommend? Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 13:42:32 Reply

At 9/14/12 01:19 PM, raffea wrote: Do you guys have any e-books you recommend?

A bunch Andrew Loomis books are free domain, and many come quite recommended. I sadly, have not read them yet, but I have already downloaded a bunch of them and its just a matter of time.
I know there are more Loomis books out there, I just can't find my other links at the moment.

BBS Signature
ZombieWhale
ZombieWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 16:28:44 Reply

At 9/14/12 01:11 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Man, I really Hate Chris Hart's stuff. It is the most watered down of the watered down anime bull shit out there. Everything he does is ridiculously flat and boring. I'm surprised he actually gets published at all
You'd be better off going with just almost anything else...

I Disagree bro,

I have a good selection of his books and Simplified Anatomy for Comic Book Artists opened my eyes to a different way of putting drawings together and Drawing on the Funny Side of the Brain has a fantastic section on how to draw cartoon hands. I wouldn't have got into drawing the shit I draw without having these books to flick through every so often.

I take back saying get Anything from Hart but if I had to pick one it would be this one.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 16:42:40 Reply

At 9/14/12 04:28 PM, ZombieWhale wrote: I take back saying get Anything from Hart but if I had to pick one it would be this one.

Their might be a gem or two floating in there, everybody gets lucky from time to time, but his style is still very bland, and not a great way to learn. Sure it might be a great way to get interested in drawing and the arts. but to really progress, you gotta get those basics down. Short-cutting the basics won't help in the long run. You'll eventually go back and learn those basics anyway, so the OP might as well start there.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Need help on how to get started... 2012-09-14 17:02:45 Reply

You know, I'm being a little bit pretentious here.
An art book is an art book. If someone can learn from it and use it to gain a little knowledge, then thats great. Regardless of my opinions of the artist, or his/her work should not matter. What should matter is that the person wanting to learn the arts has at least one more method to go about their journey.

BBS Signature