New Topic Respond to this Topic
SeniorWolfy
SeniorWolfy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 04:13 PM Reply

Hallo there, everybody! I'm Isaac/Wolfy, and this my little space to ask questions, get advice, and maybe find my damn tablet pen while I'm at it. I know that there is not that much "personal" animation pages on the old forums, but I rather not post a hundred pages for every single question and waste NG's valuable space. Alright, now that we got that out of the way, my first reference:

I know that this is technically not a animation, but I still need to see if two years work and a laptop's default mouse did the trick

Wolfy's Animation Cave

You goina pet me or what? | My Animation Cave | Aren't I your favorite? |

BBS Signature
Mownkey
Mownkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 04:42 PM Reply

I want to see how you animate!

SeniorWolfy
SeniorWolfy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 07:17 PM Reply

Just made a very quick animation test,Here it is. Sorry for all the rusty gears, Its been a while since I used flash.

BBS Signature
SeniorWolfy
SeniorWolfy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 11:04 PM Reply

Made another quickie here. I really need to spend more time on these things.

BBS Signature
SeniorWolfy
SeniorWolfy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 14th, 2012 @ 11:14 PM Reply

Hey, quick question:
I feel like I need a better way to animate, yet I still need it to still look good. So, which of these two art styles might help me animate, yet keep my art looking good?

Wolfy's Animation Cave

BBS Signature
Mownkey
Mownkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 02:29 AM Reply

At 9/14/12 11:14 PM, SeniorWolfy wrote: Hey, quick question:
I feel like I need a better way to animate, yet I still need it to still look good. So, which of these two art styles might help me animate, yet keep my art looking good?

That's your decision - everyone needs an unique style.

KhanhCPham
KhanhCPham
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 06:56 AM Reply

At 9/15/12 02:29 AM, Mownkey wrote:
That's your decision - everyone needs an unique style.

True. If your unsure which design to use, do a test animation to see if you can control it stability. Try drawing it at different angles to see if its working for you.

Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 09:09 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 07:17 PM, SeniorWolfy wrote: Just made a very quick animation test,Here it is. Sorry for all the rusty gears, Its been a while since I used flash.

It looks okay, but I think you should put more emphasis on the foot touching the ground, it seems a bit stiff and choppy here.

SeniorWolfy
SeniorWolfy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 16th, 2012 @ 04:59 PM Reply

Just a quick update, I haven't been posting much because all the reasons here, so I might just push the project away for now and try to post something here every day. Also, please give me your opinion on the running in place cycle (tiny tim face activated).

BBS Signature
Mownkey
Mownkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 01:55 PM Reply

At 9/16/12 04:59 PM, SeniorWolfy wrote: Also, please give me your opinion on the running in place cycle (tiny tim face activated).

Misplaced arms. You should use that arm pose if your character is running, not walking. That's all.

Daagah
Daagah
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 21st, 2012 @ 12:19 AM Reply

At 9/20/12 08:34 PM, TheCrimsonWidow wrote: Just work on the fbf a little bit more.

Wow, that's vague. it's basically saying "just work a little bit more".

You need to give your character some weight. Remember that gravity is pulling him towards the surface. His feet aren't just lifting his body forward, they are also making sure he doesn't faceplant. read this

Also, draw the surface he's walking on, and have him walk from point A to point B.

good luck!

when life gives you lemons

BBS Signature
wreckr
wreckr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 21st, 2012 @ 07:14 PM Reply

Clean style on the right certainly looks better. It looks like it would probably be easier to draw to depending on how much you plan on animating him.

BBS Signature
JoHobo2
JoHobo2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Wolfy's Animation Cave Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 02:53 AM Reply

At 9/16/12 04:59 PM, SeniorWolfy wrote: Just a quick update, I haven't been posting much because all the reasons here, so I might just push the project away for now and try to post something here every day. Also, please give me your opinion on the running in place cycle (tiny tim face activated).

Your drawing and fbf are pretty good in this example but you only did about half the cycle. The character lifts his right leg then places it back where it was when really he should place it on the ground in front of his left foot then move it back to the start position while he raises his left foot.
Below i've done a rough drawing in paint of what your key frames should be like. Your best bet is to draw these four positions in sequence then draw transitions from one pose to the next (known as inbetweens) between them and if that runs to fast for your liking draw another set of inbetweens between each pose and inbetween.
Do this quick tutorial to learn more about animating a walk cycle.

Wolfy's Animation Cave