Afterneath
Afterneath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Afterneath's Art 2012-09-11 12:22:32 Reply

Hello Newgrounds art forum!

I figured I should make a topic here to display some of my art to get some exposure and perhaps, if a few kind artists were so willing, some critiques. :)

For my first submission here, I offer this digital painting done in Photoshop that I started last night and completed this morning. Kind of girly, I know, but what can I say? I like pretty things sometimes.

A higher resolution is available here.

Afterneath's Art

DooDooMeaT
DooDooMeaT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Afterneath's Art 2012-09-11 14:41:51 Reply

At 9/11/12 12:22 PM, Afterneath wrote: Hello Newgrounds art forum!

hi!

I think its a good start... you can go much darker in some areas and make it pop. like under the hat. It looks very flat as it is.

Like me on the FaceBook :D

BeckyRawr
BeckyRawr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2012-09-11 16:27:52 Reply

It looks good so far :3 but I wouldn't say it looks finished. Like what was said before me, it needs some darker colours. It doesn't seem to draw much attention, it's a little flat and boring. But it can be fixed quite easily. Just define the shadows more. Look at some references of similar pictures to see where the light bounces and shadows are cast.
That's pretty much all the advice I can give since i am still learning how to properly define a picture.

But I'm looking forward to seeing more :D

Jimmey56
Jimmey56
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2012-09-12 01:22:10 Reply

One tip is that the area of usually tends to have the most contrasting colors/tones and detail than the rest of the artwork. That tends to draw the attention of viewers to that spot first. It also helps the overall aesthetic of your art when some kind of contrast is present

Afterneath
Afterneath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2012-09-18 11:31:27 Reply

Thank you all for the feedback! I have taken your advice and made some improvements to the shading. I also worked a bit more on some anatomy issues I noticed.

Afterneath's Art

Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2012-09-18 12:33:43 Reply

At 9/18/12 11:31 AM, Afterneath wrote: Thank you all for the feedback! I have taken your advice and made some improvements to the shading. I also worked a bit more on some anatomy issues I noticed.

I like the scene you've painted here. I think it's an excellent start. The colours look a bit dull and washed out, though. I guess maybe that's kind of what happens on an overcast day like that, but I think maybe you should deepen the shadows a bit under the hat and make the dress stand out a little more from the beach.

BBS Signature
Afterneath
Afterneath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-02 21:29:37 Reply

I'd hoped I would be uploading art more frequently than this, but I guess I'm too lazy. Anyway, I took some time and made this quick sketch.

Afterneath's Art

Template88
Template88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-02 21:40:18 Reply

contrast, you need 600% more constrast. Everything is washed out and has no depth because it looks like the sun is going supernova

Thoughts in chaos... Illustration thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930 Animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1332069

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-03 09:26:44 Reply

At 1/2/13 09:40 PM, Template88 wrote: contrast, you need 600% more constrast. Everything is washed out and has no depth because it looks like the sun is going supernova

I agree with this. This used to be an issue for me. I recommend dragging some photos into photoshop and taking a look at what colors show up. You'll find that the shadows are all surprisingly dark even if it's not a dark photo. As an exercise, try finding a picture of a person (or whatever subject you want) and copying it, picking your colors from the photo. It may help you get a better understanding of what values show up in real life.

I also recommend making the edges of some of your shapes sharper. You don't have to sharpen everything; there are things like hair, sand, and water that benefit from having soft edges. But those things only benefit from being soft if other edges in the picture are harder. Otherwise, the effect of the texture is diminished, and the whole thing just looks like it hasn't been finished.

[quote] whoa art what

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-03 11:36:36 Reply

I LOVE your use of colours and how bright they are. Especially the second one has an amazing atmosphere.

Forget the contrast suggestion from above, the drawing would completely lose its strength. Try working on details in the faces instead.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
AnotherOtto
AnotherOtto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-03 11:43:16 Reply

At 1/3/13 11:36 AM, test-object wrote: I LOVE your use of colours and how bright they are. Especially the second one has an amazing atmosphere.

I also love your colours, but be careful to not confuse colour with tone. Make a layer of all black and put it as a 'colour overlay later' to look at your pictures in black and white (if you're using photoshop) by ticking the eye on and off. This way you can look at the light and dark without your eye being confused by the saturation and hue.

I'm not banned, this is just where I'm vulgar.

BBS Signature
InsertFunnyUserName
InsertFunnyUserName
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-03 11:43:52 Reply

At 1/3/13 11:36 AM, test-object wrote: I LOVE your use of colours and how bright they are. Especially the second one has an amazing atmosphere.

Forget the contrast suggestion from above, the drawing would completely lose its strength. Try working on details in the faces instead.

I don't know about that. I think there are definitely ways of adding some contrast to the drawings without making the images seem dark. You don't even really have to change the values. A change in the colors used for the shadows can make up for the lack of contrast just as much as darkening the colors can. Fuzzy and pastel is a great atmosphere but it loses its effect when absolutely everything is fuzzy and pastel, especially in realism.

[quote] whoa art what

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-03 12:27:19 Reply

Small notice:
I copied the link of the drawing with the face, and did an imagesearch in google for pictures alike. No real reason.

The result is pretty fucking cool-looking.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Afterneath
Afterneath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-06 20:50:58 Reply

Thanks for the replies! I went back in and added some contrast, as well as brought some of the background color into the figure and I think I improved it quite a bit.

Afterneath's Art

Afterneath
Afterneath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-07 18:39:12 Reply

And now, for a change of pace, some fan art! I hope at least a couple of you get it.

Afterneath's Art

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-07 20:04:48 Reply

At 1/7/13 06:39 PM, Afterneath wrote: And now, for a change of pace, some fan art! I hope at least a couple of you get it.

How long did this one take you to make?
I'm just asking because there's a fair difference in quality between this and the previous pieces.

Afterneath
Afterneath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-08 00:30:15 Reply

At 1/7/13 08:04 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 1/7/13 06:39 PM, Afterneath wrote: And now, for a change of pace, some fan art! I hope at least a couple of you get it.
How long did this one take you to make?
I'm just asking because there's a fair difference in quality between this and the previous pieces.

It's hard to say exactly, but I guess you could say that it is the the result of about a full day's work, along with months of, on and off, thinking about this idea; a bit more in recent weeks. Actually I started off today wanting to do a model sheet for an animation of this idea, but I ended up making this illustration. Sorry about the white stuff along the edges, I wanted transparency, but my .gif skills are lacking, apparently. A higher quality image can be found on my user page art section thing.

Oh, and my Idea was, "wouldn't it be funny if VeggieTales tried to adapt the story of Tales of Symphonia for their show? VeggieTales of Symphonia. Get it?" Yeah it's probably pretty obscure but I think it would be funny. I may produce a cartoon one day if I can manage to boil down the story of an 80 hour RPG into 20 minutes max and still have it be entertaining. Also it should feel like it wants to be VeggieTales. That means it would need to have an obvious moral lesson (probably something about prejudice in this case if I want to actually take something from the source material) and MUSICAL NUMBERS! I think it would be fun if I had the patience for it.

Afterneath
Afterneath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-08 13:42:23 Reply

Here's another in the same series.

Afterneath's Art

Otto
Otto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-08 14:20:53 Reply

At 1/6/13 08:50 PM, Afterneath wrote: Thanks for the replies! I went back in and added some contrast, as well as brought some of the background color into the figure and I think I improved it quite a bit.

It's nice, I like the subdued and airy colours.

Here I've made it black and white like I said you should try doing earlier, just so you can see the values instead of just the colours.

You can see because of the shadow coming off the neck that the light source is a strong right-side light, however, the highlighted areas are inconsistant in showing that, so try to make it clear the bits which are hit straight on by the light! This will make certain areas less confusing for the eye to understand.

But basically you're pretty far along anyway. Try looking at it all zoomed out, so it's really small, and see if you can tell just as easily what's going on.

Afterneath's Art

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature
Afterneath
Afterneath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Afterneath's Art 2013-01-08 17:56:26 Reply

At 1/8/13 02:20 PM, Otto wrote: You can see because of the shadow coming off the neck that the light source is a strong right-side light, however, the highlighted areas are inconsistant in showing that, so try to make it clear the bits which are hit straight on by the light! This will make certain areas less confusing for the eye to understand.

Thanks for the advice. I added some higher highs and fixed some anatomical issues.

Afterneath's Art