Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 04:47 PM

At 9/11/12 04:46 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 9/11/12 04:33 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: In the meantime, if you are not scouted, bug your friends to recommend you and you will stand out more.
Speaking of the recommend button... where is it? Am I totally blind? I swear I've looked all over the song page and I can't find it.

Or... wait... Is the recommend button only available for unscouted users? I guess that'd make sense... cause otherwise people who are already on the portal could just scout the people they'd be recommending instead.

Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 05:05 PM

At 9/11/12 04:46 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 9/11/12 04:33 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: In the meantime, if you are not scouted, bug your friends to recommend you and you will stand out more.
Speaking of the recommend button... where is it? Am I totally blind? I swear I've looked all over the song page and I can't find it.

it only shows up for non scouts. If you like a user, you can just scout them yourself

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 05:10 PM

At 9/11/12 05:05 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: it only shows up for non scouts. If you like a user, you can just scout them yourself

Yeah... Figured as much, I had kind of a "herp derp" moment.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 05:30 PM

Shit I just got fired from mod-duty LOOOL *smacks PG with a sloppy cheek-kiss from his favourite-cheeks*

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 05:44 PM

At 9/11/12 05:30 PM, Rucklo wrote: Shit I just got fired from mod-duty LOOOL *smacks PG with a sloppy cheek-kiss from his favourite-cheeks*

Well, now you can MOD scouters...

cough

Audio Scouting

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 05:48 PM

Flipping audio copy-cats! Nicking our portals!

hope it makes it easier for new musicians to appear in the portal

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 05:51 PM

At 9/11/12 05:48 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Flipping audio copy-cats! Nicking our portals!
hope it makes it easier for new musicians to appear in the portal

Nuh uh... scientific history has proven that the audio portal had it first, cause my daddy tells me so.

And it'll make the audio mods lose less sanity points cause we don't have a gigantic list to look over anymore.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM

At 9/11/12 05:44 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 9/11/12 05:30 PM, Rucklo wrote: Shit I just got fired from mod-duty LOOOL *smacks PG with a sloppy cheek-kiss from his favourite-cheeks*
Well, now you can MOD scouters...

cough

shut up SHUT UP SHUUTT UPUUPPPPP... :3

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 05:57 PM

At 9/11/12 11:41 AM, Buoy wrote:
At 9/11/12 11:36 AM, Salbakra wrote: This is the best news I could read today.
Been waiting for almost a month to be confirmed now D:
Also, I like scouting :3
I would scout you, but I'm getting this

I finally fixed this and sent Salbakra a scout request from you.

BBS Signature
N0sSyndrome
N0sSyndrome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Animator
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 06:48 PM

Thankies!

Time isn't linear, just look at it as a tree.

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 06:58 PM

Excellence!

Also, I think a good bit of advice for people submitting for the first time, submit two songs instead of just one. It'll help us scout you better and etc.

Your second song is probably a little bit better than your first, and it'll be easier for us to find that metaphorical diamond in the rough.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 07:04 PM

Well, there's questions I have about this:

So I was approved back a few years ago (I don't remember specifically by whom it was... Not sure if the mods changed since then), and lets say this said mod lost his mod status and had his membership revoked (a.k.a. banned), so would this mean that my status would be unscouted as well? Or does it only apply to when this scout status came into effect?

Because I'm sure a lot of audio artist here might be concerned of the same thing...

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 07:19 PM

At 9/11/12 07:04 PM, zelazon wrote: Well, there's questions I have about this:

So I was approved back a few years ago (I don't remember specifically by whom it was... Not sure if the mods changed since then), and lets say this said mod lost his mod status and had his membership revoked (a.k.a. banned), so would this mean that my status would be unscouted as well? Or does it only apply to when this scout status came into effect?

Because I'm sure a lot of audio artist here might be concerned of the same thing...

I can guarantee you don't have to worry about that, cause the person who approved you is a well known and respected member of the community.

Hypothetically though, currently, you would not be unscouted if they were banned or their modship taken away (Yes, they are still a mod), you would be unscouted if we "pruned" him. As that would unscout him and everyone he's ever approved/scouted.

Again though, you really don't have to worry about that. And even if you did, being unscouted does not mean you are banned, it simply means you'd have to be scouted again by another user... Which in a case like that, if you're already fairly well known in the community, wouldn't take much more than asking a friend to scout you.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 07:23 PM

I can guarantee you don't have to worry about that, cause the person who approved you is a well known and respected member of the community.

Hypothetically though, currently, you would not be unscouted if they were banned or their modship taken away (Yes, they are still a mod), you would be unscouted if we "pruned" him. As that would unscout him and everyone he's ever approved/scouted.

Again though, you really don't have to worry about that. And even if you did, being unscouted does not mean you are banned, it simply means you'd have to be scouted again by another user... Which in a case like that, if you're already fairly well known in the community, wouldn't take much more than asking a friend to scout you.

That's good to know...

Last question I have is if I find out someone I've scouted (I've scouted a few people I thought qualified) is breaking the rule, how would I "prune" them from my scouting list?

It's new to me, so I'm still trying to figure it out.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 07:25 PM

At 9/11/12 07:23 PM, zelazon wrote: Last question I have is if I find out someone I've scouted (I've scouted a few people I thought qualified) is breaking the rule, how would I "prune" them from my scouting list?

It's new to me, so I'm still trying to figure it out.

You wouldn't, you would have to PM an audio mod to do that. Regular users can scout people, but they can't unscout people... Obviously to prevent trolling.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 07:30 PM

You wouldn't, you would have to PM an audio mod to do that. Regular users can scout people, but they can't unscout people... Obviously to prevent trolling.

Okay, thanks for clarifying that.

Bafana
Bafana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 07:33 PM

Gave this a go.... I'd make a terrible mod.

I'm all for using NG as a place to improve by receiving criticism but fuck, when I can't think of anything other than why is this person skull fucking me with copyright material and/or aural rape I was quick to give up.

I have 6 month old twins, and their screaming can irritate me. But not like this. I'm not envious of the mods.

Maybe I'll just leave this to more tolerant souls.

I did scout 1 though!

Audio Scouting

BBS Signature
Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 08:58 PM

Why is the top recommendation is still 0?

And some of the submissions have scores even they are not scouted.
Example

• ~|| Urban Ruins
    ~|| Urban Ruins by T-Free

Urban Ruins stage song

Score
    4.66 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity

Audio Scouting

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 09:01 PM

At 9/11/12 08:58 PM, Wurfel-Waffles wrote: And some of the submissions have scores even they are not scouted.
Example
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/479181

Same as before, unapproved artists songs were not on the audio portal, but they were still public on the persons profile. Unscouted users are the exact same.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Artist
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

So, there's still no "Scouts" stat for audio on the user stats page.

(._.) ( l: ) (.-.) ( :l ) (._.)

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

At 9/12/12 12:10 PM, SuperBastard wrote: So, there's still no "Scouts" stat for audio on the user stats page.

And I don't think there should be honestly. Because then people with stat whore syndrome will just go and scout every person on the unscouted list just to have a bigger stat.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

At 9/12/12 12:15 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: And I don't think there should be honestly. Because then people with stat whore syndrome will just go and scout every person on the unscouted list just to have a bigger stat.

1. Art portal has it

2. PG kinda said one of the advantages of the system is this:

At 9/11/12 10:57 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: and when a new breakout artist comes along, one of you guys will have the bragging rights of being the user that scouted them.

aka SBB! I'm not on Newgrounds anymore, but you can find me here:
Youtube | Soundcloud | Facebook

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

At 9/12/12 12:19 PM, Buoy wrote:
At 9/12/12 12:15 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: And I don't think there should be honestly. Because then people with stat whore syndrome will just go and scout every person on the unscouted list just to have a bigger stat.
1. Art portal has it

At 9/11/12 10:57 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: and when a new breakout artist comes along, one of you guys will have the bragging rights of being the user that scouted them.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, I'm just expressing concern. Worst case scenario, we prune someone and like 200 people have to be rescouted because the person was just scouting every person on the list.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 01:40 PM

At 9/12/12 12:48 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I'm not saying it couldn't work, I'm just expressing concern. Worst case scenario, we prune someone and like 200 people have to be rescouted because the person was just scouting every person on the list.

I agree with this... I could think of ton of artist who aren't very skill who will scout tons of people just to say they scouted someone end up being unscouted again.

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 01:59 PM

Scouting just got easier... http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/browse/genre/electronic/arti sts/unscouted

You can filter the audio portal to see un-scouted artists now

BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Artist
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 02:15 PM

At 9/12/12 12:48 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 9/12/12 12:19 PM, Buoy wrote:
1. Art portal has it

I'm not saying it couldn't work, I'm just expressing concern. Worst case scenario, we prune someone and like 200 people have to be rescouted because the person was just scouting every person on the list.

While it's possible that could become a problem, the art portal has the statistic and it doesn't seem to cause any real issues. People over there are pretty serious about who they scout, and I can't imagine it being too much different here.

The audio portal is full of mature, upstanding individuals who just wouldn't do that kind of thing! ...right?

BBS Signature
Braiton
Braiton
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 02:20 PM

This is looking good. Let's hope it lives up to everyone's expectations.

SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Artist
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 02:50 PM

One thing that I'm not looking forward to which, I suppose, can't really be avoided with this system, is people making threads with the intent of being scouted. Or people replying to legitimate threads for the same reason.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 03:08 PM

At 9/12/12 02:50 PM, SuperBastard wrote: One thing that I'm not looking forward to which, I suppose, can't really be avoided with this system, is people making threads with the intent of being scouted. Or people replying to legitimate threads for the same reason.

This is discouraged on the Art forum, and it will be here as well.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Artist
Response to Audio Scouting Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM

At 9/12/12 03:08 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 9/12/12 02:50 PM, SuperBastard wrote: One thing that I'm not looking forward to which, I suppose, can't really be avoided with this system, is people making threads with the intent of being scouted. Or people replying to legitimate threads for the same reason.
This is discouraged on the Art forum, and it will be here as well.

Here's to hoping the aversion catches on. I'm sure it will, most of the audio regulars seem to be pretty good at shunning people.

BBS Signature