New Topic Respond to this Topic
bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 12:54 AM Reply

So... I'm independently working on a game right now (Game Maker, nothing super-special [I also have very few screenshots around on the internets], although it is quite large and high quality for a GM game and I plan to try to sell it eventually).
I need to find a site (or forum) where I can show off some screenshots (and probably videos, when I can be bothered) of my game and perhaps get someone interested in making original music for it. The point at which this will become necessary is still a couple months away, but I'd like to be prepared.
Can anyone recommend me a good place to look for potential original indie game musicians?

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.
Not for Newgrounds though.

Bosa
Bosa
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 01:05 AM Reply

Welcome to the audio forum, mate!

The easiest way to find indie musicians on this site is to go the Audio Portal, click on the genre that would befit your game accurately, and then listen to the artists who work hard to produce music for this site. You can contact them through pm, and send them your request along with all the information pertaining to your game.

If you're looking for a quicker way, then you can post here and give us as much information on your game as you feel relevant. If you can tell us the genre, mood, length, style, and instrumentation you're looking for with each song needed, then that will definitely increase your chances of getting help faster and easier. Feel free to tell us about your game, and show us screenshots or more examples of your work.

Since you're using GameMaker, be sure to get authors' permissions before using music found in the audio portal (if you decide to do so).

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 11th, 2012 @ 11:00 PM Reply

So how easy is it to find someone who wouldn't just say "I don't do requests or commissions" and take a look at the work first, and who is actually very good and versatile rather than average? I don't feel comfortable going in to the Audio Portal and asking random people "Hey, will you make music for my game?"

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 12:14 AM Reply

Oh, and thanks for the reply. Apparently there is no edit post feature. Oh, well.
I will probably soon post a bunch of information and screenshots on this portal to try to gain interest.

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

Bosa
Bosa
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 12:28 AM Reply

At 9/12/12 12:14 AM, bjshnog wrote: Oh, and thanks for the reply. Apparently there is no edit post feature. Oh, well.
I will probably soon post a bunch of information and screenshots on this portal to try to gain interest.

I suppose if that's the route you wish to take, then have at it. You have the two options that I mentioned earlier. However, I must add that Newgrounds focuses more on flash development and most collaborations that start in the forums pertain to flash games or movies. But still, you can find a lot of skilled artists and musicians who are more than willing to help you with other projects that do not pertain to flash. After showing off some examples of your game, I'm sure there will be a few 'versatile' musicians who will show up at the door.

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 12:58 AM Reply

At 9/11/12 11:00 PM, bjshnog wrote: I don't feel comfortable going in to the Audio Portal and asking random people "Hey, will you make music for my game?"

If you actually pay me I would totally make music for your game. I know like 5 other people who would too, it kind of depends on what style you are looking for.

bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 04:09 AM Reply

At 9/12/12 12:58 AM, Blackhole12 wrote:
At 9/11/12 11:00 PM, bjshnog wrote: I don't feel comfortable going in to the Audio Portal and asking random people "Hey, will you make music for my game?"
If you actually pay me I would totally make music for your game. I know like 5 other people who would too, it kind of depends on what style you are looking for.

I would only pay if my game sold at least a few copies; I don't know how that would work out for your "policy".
I also don't have much money at this time.

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 04:11 AM Reply

At 9/12/12 12:58 AM, Blackhole12 wrote:

Gah! I hate double-posting. Anyway, my internet is practically dead right now, so I can't check what stuff you have already done. In a few days, though, I will take a look.

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 04:14 AM Reply

... Triple post. Sorry.
I should mention right now that my game is very neon-styled with a lot of particle effects and it will get more intense as you progress through the game. The genre I want will either be something Electronic, Classical or a combination of those two.
Hopefully I won't have to quadruple-post.

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 04:50 AM Reply

At 9/12/12 04:14 AM, bjshnog wrote: ... Triple post. Sorry.
I should mention right now that my game is very neon-styled with a lot of particle effects and it will get more intense as you progress through the game. The genre I want will either be something Electronic, Classical or a combination of those two.

Saving you from the quadruple post, my music might work for that, but I'd also be willing to simply license out a song I've already made for a % of the game sales, to some maximum value. I also know two other people whose music would qualify, but one is busy and the other is (rightfully) wary of royalty deals like that.

If you really want original music I'd have to see the game first. I can't make music for a game that is unlikely to make money - sorry, but food is food. If I can't make music, or if my music is inappropriate, there are many other artists here who may be willing to do it, you just have to ask. No one's going to berate you for sending them a polite PM.

bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 05:10 AM Reply

At 9/12/12 04:50 AM, Blackhole12 wrote: If you really want original music I'd have to see the game first.

At the moment it is very early in development, with only a few features of what it will end up as. The graphics are probably pretty close to final, but if something else comes up, that may change too. I will try to upload a .zip and PM you the link.

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

EternalXIII
EternalXIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 08:06 AM Reply

I might be interested, but without enough information most peple will basically use this as an advertisement thread showing off different songs or fishing for views.

You should really spend sometime thinking about how important music and sound design is, especially in games, and then present this community with a realistic commission fee or some percentage of the sales. A game with shit sound is just as unplayable as a game with shit graphics...

Smoke me, I'm dope.

BBS Signature
bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 12th, 2012 @ 09:31 PM Reply

Well, the best I can do right now is upload a zip full of screenshots. The actual executable zip didn't want to upload due to low bandwidth. -_-
Dropbox link (Might work, not sure).

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 09:43 AM Reply

At 9/12/12 09:31 PM, bjshnog wrote: Well, the best I can do right now is upload a zip full of screenshots. The actual executable zip didn't want to upload due to low bandwidth. -_-

You're going to have to explain what on earth is going on, why its fun, where its going to go, how much it will cost, what it's distribution system is, what the target audience is, how many songs would be needed, what the payment rate would be, how you would pay the musician (paypal?), and everything else I can't think of. Yes, you actually have to think about these things.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 04:12 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 09:43 AM, Blackhole12 wrote:
At 9/12/12 09:31 PM, bjshnog wrote: Well, the best I can do right now is upload a zip full of screenshots. The actual executable zip didn't want to upload due to low bandwidth. -_-
You're going to have to explain what on earth is going on, why its fun, where its going to go, how much it will cost, what it's distribution system is, what the target audience is, how many songs would be needed, what the payment rate would be, how you would pay the musician (paypal?), and everything else I can't think of. Yes, you actually have to think about these things.

You'll also want to consider things like if you want the songs to be loops or actual songs, as well as the feel of the score (is it happy? Is it sad? Is it dark? Is it mysterious?) and so on. It's hard for a composer to say "sure, I'll score your game" unless he/she knows exactly what you want and is sure that they can provide it. Payment can honestly be worked out with the person, but the image/style of the game is something you need to share. No composer with common sense would jump aboard a project without knowing what exactly they are hired/asked to create.

In addition, if you want the composer to do sounds, you'll need to explain what kinds of sounds (are they cartoonish or realistic? Fighting moves or normal life sounds? Ambient environment tracks for settings?).

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 07:27 PM Reply

I will decide absolutely on most of these things closer to the release date. I was just hoping to get a little bit of interest so that I could come back and get support easier. However, I do predict the following:

1. Why I, and about 15 of my friends who have seen it, think it's fun: Unlockables and secrets will run the game, pretty much. There will be at least 50 different weapons in the release version, with at least 4 different types of attack (lasers, gas, melee, bullets). These weapons will have many different types of damage and penetration, rate of attack, overheat speed, bullet speed, range, damage per shot, etc. There will be many, many different types if collectible items, which will buff/debuff stats, generate shields, allow double fire rate, decrease enemy damage, etc. Honestly, I loved The Binding of Isaac, but I wanted more, in a different style. More weapons, more items, less bugs (lol), more item types, more enemies, more levels, more mechanics, more secrets, more unlockables, more stats to keep track of, more game modes, etc. I am making it so that animations of bullets, explosions, etc are fluid, pleasing and very electronic.
2. I will be releasing updates semi-regularly with new items, weapons, secrets, enemies, etc to keep players interested.
3. I plan to release it for about $10, but if that proves slow, I will gradually decrease it to about $5.
4. I will try to make it good enough and stable enough (as it is, it has practically no bugs, although I will have beta testers) to get the game on Steam, but if it is not accepted, I will try some smaller systems like Desura.
5. The target audience would pretty much be everyone 12+, although it will be playable for younger people.
6. The number of songs is based on how many chapters I have, which will mean there will probably need to be 10-15 songs.
7. The payment rate will need to be negotiated, but will probably be quite generous.
8. PayPal is probably the way to go, but if there is a more efficient system, I will probably go for that. If the distribution system itself has a way to set that up, I will choose that option.
9. The songs will likely be loops, but if they become a bit rough at the ends, I may change my mind.
10. The emotion of most of the songs will be neutral, and it should range from (I don't know the vast majority of musical terminology) relatively peaceful, with some sort of beat, to exciting and intense, with lots of beats and dubstep elements (these will be for boss battles). There will be (likely) absolutely no story.
11. The sounds will be mostly electronic, but explosions may be at least semi-realistic. I may be able to create these sounds on my own, but if I can't, I will obviously get someone else to do it.

I hope this helps.

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 07:27 PM, bjshnog wrote: 4. I will try to make it good enough and stable enough (as it is, it has practically no bugs, although I will have beta testers) to get the game on Steam, but if it is not accepted, I will try some smaller systems like Desura.

If you think you don't have any bugs you need more beta testers.

5. The target audience would pretty much be everyone 12+, although it will be playable for younger people.

I meant more in terms of what kind of game is it rather than simply an age group. You have to think about what people would want to play this, and its not "everyone".

6. The number of songs is based on how many chapters I have, which will mean there will probably need to be 10-15 songs.

That's a lot of music for a tiny indie game. You know how many songs Braid had? 8.

10. The emotion of most of the songs will be neutral, and it should range from (I don't know the vast majority of musical terminology) relatively peaceful, with some sort of beat, to exciting and intense, with lots of beats and dubstep elements (these will be for boss battles). There will be (likely) absolutely no story.

An entertaining excuse plot can actually significantly help a game and I would recommend putting one in. If you want anything related to or even slightly influenced by dubstep I can't help you.

bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 08:07 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 07:54 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: If you think you don't have any bugs you need more beta testers.

True. I do need to make sure, that is why I said I will have beta testers. My game would be developed quicker if

I meant more in terms of what kind of game is it rather than simply an age group. You have to think about what people would want to play this, and its not "everyone".

It is a randomized top-down shooter (medium-fast paced)

That's a lot of music for a tiny indie game. You know how many songs Braid had? 8.

Well, I am very new to this, so any tips like this are good. I might have about 8 chapters.

An entertaining excuse plot can actually significantly help a game and I would recommend putting one in. If you want anything related to or even slightly influenced by dubstep I can't help you.

Do you know anyone who can come up with a plot for this?
]The game will be called "Polychoron", meaning 4-dimensional shape. The plot (aim) will probably end up being a bunch of 4-dimensional crystals you have to collect to build a time machine or something, and the more times you play through the game, the more of these are unlocked. I guess there will be an achievement for using the time machine. Also, it could unlock a harder difficulty level or just make all enemies more likely to be replaced by "Champions", powered-up versions of the normal enemies with more bonus rewards.
Looks like maybe I just answered my own question. :|

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 08:08 PM Reply

If you're okay with lots of epic dissonant orchestral battle pieces, I'd be interested in composing music for you. Feel free to give my work a listen... I can send you a PM/e-mail/add you on skype if you'd like me to show you some example game score pieces that fit the mood you're looking for as a basis for a custom score.

BBS Signature
bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 08:11 PM Reply

Didn't finish my post. o_o

True. I do need to make sure, that is why I said I will have beta testers. My game would be developed quicker if I didn't spend so much time making sure I wasn't going to break the game.

It is a randomized top-down shooter (medium-fast paced), which might appeal to BoI fans and Rogue fans.

Well, I am very new to this, so any tips like this are good. I might have about 8 chapters. Maybe I'll only need about 7-8 songs to begin with.

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 08:11 PM, bjshnog wrote: Well, I am very new to this, so any tips like this are good. I might have about 8 chapters. Maybe I'll only need about 7-8 songs to begin with.

and don't worry too much about number of songs now, mate... I once took up a job to do a 7 song score and ended up doing 13 loops and a 3 minute credits/epilogue piece. Projects tend to fluctuate when the composer is brought on, as the flavor he/she brings tends to elaborate on the work of the programmers/artists/developers and, well, in some cases a "finished" game can gain a whole new element with the addition of a composer.

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 08:11 PM, bjshnog wrote: Well, I am very new to this, so any tips like this are good. I might have about 8 chapters. Maybe I'll only need about 7-8 songs to begin with.

Braid had a budget of $200000. The small games my friend composes for usually need only 4-5 songs. samulis seems interesting in composing stuff for you but I highly recommend aiming for about 5 songs, one for the title, and 4 for levels and randomizing which level song plays on the level. PM samulis with details and ask him about how much music he can be reasonably expected to compose, which will change depending on its complexity.

bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 08:18 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 08:08 PM, samulis wrote: If you're okay with lots of epic dissonant orchestral battle pieces, I'd be interested in composing music for you. Feel free to give my work a listen... I can send you a PM/e-mail/add you on skype if you'd like me to show you some example game score pieces that fit the mood you're looking for as a basis for a custom score.

My Skype name is the same as my NG username. Add me! Also, I have one person already who seems very much into this project, but maybe I can have more than one composer if the other one ends up not getting epic battle music right. O.o
Maybe orchestral music will fit my game better than electronic! I guess I'll put in some test tracks just to see which one fits better in which situation.

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 08:23 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 08:16 PM, Blackhole12 wrote:
Braid had a budget of $200000. The small games my friend composes for usually need only 4-5 songs. samulis seems interesting in composing stuff for you but I highly recommend aiming for about 5 songs, one for the title, and 4 for levels and randomizing which level song plays on the level. PM samulis with details and ask him about how much music he can be reasonably expected to compose, which will change depending on its complexity.

I do plan to have shorter loops for bonus rooms, like The Binding of Isaac had, and for boss music. I'll get my epic 70mm headphones in about 2.5 hours when I can and see what his other music sounds like.

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

bjshnog
bjshnog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 13th, 2012 @ 09:03 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 08:16 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: $200000.

Also, my game has a budget of $0 at the moment. The point is that if the game doesn't sell, there will be no payment. I have no money that I can spend on anything that doesn't have a 0% risk factor.

Sometimes I make games.
Yep.

Bosa
Bosa
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 14th, 2012 @ 12:36 AM Reply

I'm glad you've found somebody who can help you. Good luck with your game!

BBS Signature
Bytheway11
Bytheway11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 14th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 9/12/12 04:14 AM, bjshnog wrote: ... Triple post. Sorry.

Hey bjshnog,

Your game sounds interesting, i'd be more than happy to design some sound for it, for free (would be good for my portfolio). Have a listen to my stuff here: http://bytheway11.newgrounds.com/audio/

Hope to hear from you soon,
Bytheway11

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Music commissions for indie games? Sep. 14th, 2012 @ 06:07 PM Reply

yes we all know this site is called newgrounds.

lel