Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to The Chicago teachers are on strike Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 09:22 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 06:21 PM, RacistBassist wrote:

Because it still ends up being a 16% increase over a relatively short career time?

It's not such a big deal when you factor in inflation.

Also, a time span of four years definitely mitigates the impact of the wage increase.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The Chicago teachers are on strike Sep. 15th, 2012 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 9/13/12 08:02 PM, WeHaveFreshCookies wrote: I support the teachers. Education is the absolute LAST place cuts should being made. Furthermore, to counter your point about low test scores, how is that the teacher's fault? The STUDENT is responsible for his own learning. If he doesn't do his homework, or doesn't study, or doesn't pay attention in class, how is that the teacher's fault?

There is such a thing as a bad teacher, and such a thing as an extremely good teacher, and I would have thought that peer evaluation cross referenced with student performance would be a much more accurate choice. Also such a thing as a shitty student, so I agree; having student test scores count for such a gigantic slice of a teachers evaluation is stupid.

Anyway, I was reading through the thread and wondering if anyone else actually read the article, considering they all decided to focus on the money. At least I know one person did.