00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion

7,360 Views | 81 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-16 13:59:38

We could do something in essence of this "exploring the Philosophy, politics and psychology of of our part of newgrounds, then again are we really significant and influential enough to do such a thing, though tis interesting, getting a large amount of artists together to discuss what the fuck it is that makes us swoon and continue as a machine it is however big of us and egotistical to assume that we are a powerful entity in the digital realm of art.

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-16 14:12:21

At 9/16/12 01:59 PM, M-Maher wrote: We could do something in essence of this "exploring the Philosophy, politics and psychology of of our part of newgrounds,

No.

That'd be incredibly pretentious, not to mention the fact that nobody would care.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-16 14:45:41

At 9/16/12 02:12 PM, Felis wrote:
No.

That'd be incredibly pretentious, not to mention the fact that nobody would care.

thats what I said

At 9/16/12 01:59 PM, M-Maher wrote: then again are we really significant and influential enough to do such a thing

and

it is however big of us and egotistical to assume that we are a powerful entity in the digital realm of art.

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-16 17:28:34

I find m-maher's style of writing both pretentious and confusing which leads me to question his own understanding of the thoughts he's trying to communicate. Therefore I think he'd be the perfect person to write descriptions of the art in the book.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-16 18:39:00

This is the sort of format for text I think would be good for the books, with regards to text.

Link

Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-18 15:50:18

can i be in this book i really need something on my resume in case no hippy communes want to take my stinking worthless ass once i go homeless

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-20 22:47:07

At 9/11/12 01:21 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 9/11/12 01:08 AM, VicariousE wrote: Hell, if I was gonna commit myself to something like this... how about 'The Best Of 1995-2000, 01-06, 07-12 [Three Volumes] with the new submissions dispersed throughout (maybe even three concepts a volume... three worms?). Hmm, every six years... has a bent appeal to it :3
In only one of those time periods was there even an art portal/art forum.

True, but how many artists were and still on board with NG from that time period? Enough to fill a book. The first volume can include NG webpages, history... the later two volumes could be patterned the same way, only with newer things to see...

As for the Art Book thing, I don't think there would be much incentive to buy an art book that was just "the stuff you can already find on the Art Portal, only now on paper!" There's already a section in the art portal to show off the best art from over the years, and I don't think that a book would enhance that at all.

I agree. but the artists whose work would be showcased have improved - plus having a new AND old classics from various Artists, would be a record I would like to own.

The art being made specifically for the book enhances its appeal, I think, from a consumer perspective.

Precisely. This can work!

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-10-06 12:52:30

I can't believe I didn't see this before, 120% awesome idea. Every time I set foot in a bookstore the first thing I do is run to the section where spectrum and "The Art Of..." books are.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-10-06 12:57:02

At 9/16/12 02:12 PM, Felis wrote:
At 9/16/12 01:59 PM, M-Maher wrote: We could do something in essence of this "exploring the Philosophy, politics and psychology of of our part of newgrounds,
No.

Well if it was from each artists prospective that's called an "Artist Statement" and it's something usually required for hanging in most galleries. I think galleries by nature are pretentious, but people still go to them.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-10-06 19:58:16

This seems like such an incredible idea! I would totally buy this book. I always buy "Art-of" books from my favourite movies, and this would go with them perfectly!

Also, I hope I somehow get in it.....

"I need a katana to slice a banana"

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-10-19 04:21:37

Just you watch...everybody's all onboard so you print 500 copies of the book, and suddenly where is everyone who thought it was such a killer idea?

I think it's a good idea, but I probably wouldn't buy one if it's over $10.00....because I'm cheap.

*citation needed

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-10-19 04:51:39

At 10/19/12 04:21 AM, PoisonHeart wrote: Just you watch...everybody's all onboard so you print 500 copies of the book, and suddenly where is everyone who thought it was such a killer idea?

I think it's a good idea, but I probably wouldn't buy one if it's over $10.00....because I'm cheap.

What a truly motivational response, thank you.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-10-19 09:44:00

Well I'm sold. I'd love to have an offline art portal on my shelves.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-10-19 11:55:25

At 10/19/12 04:51 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 10/19/12 04:21 AM, PoisonHeart wrote: Just you watch...everybody's all onboard so you print 500 copies of the book, and suddenly where is everyone who thought it was such a killer idea?

What a truly motivational response, thank you.

oh come on, you know I'm half right. If people from the internet all banded together for good causes, AIDS would be history and they wouldn't have remade Jude Dredd so terribly, man. But yet....hmmm....

*citation needed

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-10-19 12:53:32

At 10/19/12 12:05 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 10/19/12 04:21 AM, PoisonHeart wrote:

:: I probably wouldn't buy one if it's over $10.00...

Newgrounds writing anthology costs $20.00
seems like a fair price to me

Amaranthus has a point here.
The Writing Anthology is priced at $20, and it's doing fine.
Not to mention it had a kickstarter fund it, so there's obviously community support.

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-10-20 08:08:41

At 10/19/12 12:53 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Amaranthus has a point here.
The Writing Anthology is priced at $20, and it's doing fine.

Hell I'd pay $20 for it. If it had some of my art in I'd pay over $50 for it. Just so I can have a book on the shelf where some of the content on one page was made by me. I'm sure most people feel that way so every featured artist will at least have a copy.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-11-04 12:09:10

I like the idea of this NG Art Book, I would love to see a book similiar to those of Ballistic Publishing containing artist though process. It helps anyone willing to learn. Hell if my art is worthy enough I would love to contribute to this book.

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-11-04 12:22:54

At 10/19/12 11:55 AM, PoisonHeart wrote: and they wouldn't have remade Jude Dredd so terribly, man.

You lost all credibility here.

I'd buy one for reals.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-11-04 14:50:04

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-11-04 18:18:48

At 11/4/12 02:50 PM, test-object wrote: also... mockup

I like the mockup aight but I don't like having the description cover up a chunk of the artwork, maybe you could utilise some of the wasted bottom margin by putting it there. The one Aigis posted has a nice layout, in my opinion.

If anyone reads Juxtapoz, the way they lay out artist spreads is dedicating a page to the interview and then the other 2-3 pages to the art. Obviously, doing interviews with all of us would be pretty dumb, but in terms of layout in a spread like that, you could have 1 big thing on 1 page, and then the bio and 1-2 small things on the other page. Of course it would vary depending on what they're submitting for the book, but I guess overall the main thing I want to get across is that I like keeping the words separate from the pictures. Brevity is not my strong suit.

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-11-04 18:24:08

At 11/4/12 06:18 PM, Spags wrote:
At 11/4/12 02:50 PM, test-object wrote: also... mockup
I like the mockup aight but I don't like having the description cover up a chunk of the artwork, maybe you could utilise some of the wasted bottom margin by putting it there. The one Aigis posted has a nice layout, in my opinion.

You should click the link, it's updated :)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-11-04 19:23:32

At 10/19/12 11:55 AM, PoisonHeart wrote: and they wouldn't have remade Jude Dredd so terribly

I rather enjoyed Dredd.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature