00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Destiny2Lover2 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion

7,337 Views | 81 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-10 18:04:54

Flowers10 and Jonny were talking about this in Stickam earlier, and I thought it would be better if this was brought up as a topic for discussion in the BBS.

We were thinking that making a book with a selection of art to showcase Newgrounds artists might be a good idea.
Like Spectrum books, Illustration 101 books, etc. ... and run in a similar manner as the Writing Anthology.

Naturally the project would be open to all artists, possibly with some PMs to certain popular illustrators and animators.
The submissions could be brand-spanking new pics for the book (like the Worm project), or simply highlighted pics from the portal, all grouped together by similar styles.

... and that's all I'm going to say for the time being. I'm hoping the following discussion could flesh-out the idea more, and help decide whether such a project is feasible, and whether the community would like to take part/shell out some cash.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-10 18:27:30

I'm more than all for this, but it reminds me a lot of the Sketchbook Tour, which I'm sure that that relation has aalready been brought up in stickam.

yeah I could have probably saved a post by actually being in stickam, but, eh.

I really think this could be some great discussion over this being a community project.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-10 18:27:45

Sounds great, I'd buy it. Maybe it'd be nice to give a small selection of artists with different styles a couple of extra images and a bit of an interview?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-10 18:41:59

At 9/10/12 06:04 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: (like the Worm project)

How have I never seen that before??? It's just about the coolest thing ever.

I would totally be up for contributing to and buying a newgrounds art book. Where would it be sold, though? The newgrounds store doesn't take paypal and I don't use credit...

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-10 18:43:59

It'd be hard to pick which ones get in though. Ornery suggested we should perhaps make one half of the book existing art and the other made especially for the book. Not only do we have AlvinHew and other High Ranking Classics, but also some lesser exposed people.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-10 18:52:01

At 9/10/12 06:43 PM, test-object wrote: It'd be hard to pick which ones get in though. Ornery suggested we should perhaps make one half of the book existing art and the other made especially for the book. Not only do we have AlvinHew and other High Ranking Classics, but also some lesser exposed people.

I prefer the idea of a book full of all new art. Maybe even fitting some sort of theme. There could be a contest to see who gets through.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-10 19:26:48

At 9/10/12 06:52 PM, Sockembop wrote:
I prefer the idea of a book full of all new art. Maybe even fitting some sort of theme. There could be a contest to see who gets through.

I totally agree. Give the artists a reason to create something new for this, and in turn, this book would be able to showcase that artists current progress rather than their highlighted artwork.

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-10 19:33:51

If this gets made I'm more then willing to make some art for this. I know I'm not the best but I think I've Improved enough over the past year to raise me above the totally crap category. I think that maybe (depending on the number of pages etc.) we should have various chapters: Architecture, Nature, Character etc.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-10 19:49:05

Fantastic idea! get a much artists as you can shake a turkey on a a stick at!

the more the merrier!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-10 20:00:45

I think it should by all means include "old" art, the point would be to showcase some of the best stuff from NG not some of the best from the content specifically created for the book, by those artists who happened to check out a contest thread. And if a contest has a decent turnout these days there are... what, 60 entries? There'd be hardly enough "to pick" for a book.

I think having some current highlights and some new stuff combined is a really good idea. Actually it would be great to have some outstanding drawings from every year since the art portal has been implemented.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 01:08:18

We were thinking that making a book with a selection of art to showcase Newgrounds artists might be a good idea.
Like Spectrum books, Illustration 101 books, etc. ... and run in a similar manner as the Writing Anthology.

Okay, so you're thinking something under 20$ to produce at... what volume? Remember, these are full color pages, for the most part, it ain't gonna be cheap.

Naturally the project would be open to all artists, possibly with some PMs to certain popular illustrators and animators.
The submissions could be brand-spanking new pics for the book (like the Worm project), or simply highlighted pics from the portal, all grouped together by similar styles.

Hell, if I was gonna commit myself to something like this... how about 'The Best Of 1995-2000, 01-06, 07-12 [Three Volumes] with the new submissions dispersed throughout (maybe even three concepts a volume... three worms?). Hmm, every six years... has a bent appeal to it :3

... and that's all I'm going to say for the time being. I'm hoping the following discussion could flesh-out the idea more, and help decide whether such a project is feasible, and whether the community would like to take part/shell out some cash.

Okay... yeah, so do a Kickstarter asking a modest amount for the first volume! But don't put it up till you get the range of covers, layout... the first volume's selections, all settled :3

Best wishes - I do so love the Art Portal... 'cause the dA alternative to too horrible to speak of :P

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 01:21:17

At 9/11/12 01:08 AM, VicariousE wrote: Hell, if I was gonna commit myself to something like this... how about 'The Best Of 1995-2000, 01-06, 07-12 [Three Volumes] with the new submissions dispersed throughout (maybe even three concepts a volume... three worms?). Hmm, every six years... has a bent appeal to it :3

In only one of those time periods was there even an art portal/art forum.

As for the Art Book thing, I don't think there would be much incentive to buy an art book that was just "the stuff you can already find on the Art Portal, only now on paper!" There's already a section in the art portal to show off the best art from over the years, and I don't think that a book would enhance that at all.

The art being made specifically for the book enhances its appeal, I think, from a consumer perspective.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 01:26:46

At 9/11/12 01:21 AM, Aigis wrote: The art being made specifically for the book enhances its appeal, I think, from a consumer perspective.

I really agree with this, but at the same time, their is something to be said about having a physical piece of art that adds something appealing to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 02:16:57

I actually do think people might buy it. There much people who know newgrounds from there childhood( i know i do) and when they see such a book in store they would atleast have a look through it and maybe even buy it. Also kickstarter would be a nice test for that. Filling the book might not be that hard since theres so many years to pick from, we could have a contest chapter, a collab chapter, and maybe even a draw a dog/turtle/cat chapter. And contact all the major artist on newgrounds for interviews and submissions. My main concern would be quality control. Since its an artbook people will buy it for the art, and probobly dont want to see ant mediocre bullshit. But of course there would be dicks in it.

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 04:27:55

I wouldn't go for a "best of" selection; especially not if it's just the "best of" of the art portal.
I think new stuff would be great, but it would be more difficult to get together, then again there's no rush. A combination of old and new would work, but there really should be plenty of new ones. If my earlier idea of giving a couple of artists a bigger showcase is implemented it'd be odd to have them draw 5 new pieces, but one or two new ones as well as a couple of their own old fav's would be great.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 05:55:24

Yeah, a couple old and a couple new sounds best. I'd buy it.

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 07:22:29

This is a great idea. You should definitely go for it.

I would really want to write something elaborate but I think it won't matter since it would only resemble the other posts. So basically, What they said.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 18:11:03

Could be cool if each person was given a page (or 2-page spread even) and they could put whatever they wanted on it (some new, some classics). You could have one big image or a few smaller ones... and a little blurb about yourself including contact info, etc... all within a unifying template. Like a directory of NG artists.

...something like this.

Weren't we going to try to make this into a flash at one point? or was it just a thread and I imagined the rest?

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 18:21:47

At 9/11/12 06:11 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Weren't we going to try to make this into a flash at one point? or was it just a thread and I imagined the rest?

I think that's news to me.

Nae, while you're about, do you have any idea how much a single book would cost to print and bind?
Let's say ... 100 page book, on glossy A5 paper?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 18:51:14

I'll defiantly take part if I have time :3
I just hope i'm good enough :3

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 18:57:27

At 9/11/12 06:51 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: I'll defiantly take part if I have time :3
I just hope i'm good enough :3

There's no sense in being defiant about it if you're good enough...

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 19:02:02

At 9/11/12 06:21 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 9/11/12 06:11 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Weren't we going to try to make this into a flash at one point? or was it just a thread and I imagined the rest?

Nae, while you're about, do you have any idea how much a single book would cost to print and bind?
Let's say ... 100 page book, on glossy A5 paper?

Not off the top of my head (I don't do the cost/estimating stuff). Size, total number of pages, paper quality and the total quantity of books needed will affect the price though, so it kind of depends on all of that. I asked for a ballpark figure based on what you said above... I'll let you know what I find out ;)

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 19:23:14

At 9/11/12 06:21 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

Ooh, I guess it was just in my head then... it was back when this discussion was going on in the lounge... I had tossed around the idea of making some sort of flash submission (like what I linked to) that could get updated every so often, but that's a lot of work for the person compiling it (probably me) and I wasn't feeling up the task lol :P

double post fail!

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 19:31:08

At 9/11/12 07:23 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: double post fail!

Actually, while we're throwing about ideas, I was thinking that if there was a contest to generate some images created especially for the book, it might be worthwhile to encourage people to record their progress through screenshots.

That would enable a side-project of a Flash based tutorial game, where people can follow how other artists go about producing a decent finalised piece of work.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 22:52:53

At 9/11/12 01:21 AM, Aigis wrote: As for the Art Book thing, I don't think there would be much incentive to buy an art book that was just "the stuff you can already find on the Art Portal, only now on paper!" There's already a section in the art portal to show off the best art from over the years, and I don't think that a book would enhance that at all.

It wouldn't only be the stuff from the best of section. The purpose of the QUALITY existing stuff is to show nice physical print quality images of already stellar pieces and gems that people might not have seen. Also since there is a large chunk of really really good artists who never frequent the art forum chances are they wont see the submissions thread if it was all based off of new work. This way we can also get multiple pieces from some artists.

The art being made specifically for the book enhances its appeal, I think, from a consumer perspective.

We can have new stuff as well, but it needs to be of extremely high caliber, and sometimes a users own creative work is better than a piece they try to make for a specific project with guidelines and a theme. The idea would be to showcase the unique and high quality pieces from a big chunk of the talented artists on NG, not just a bunch of new pieces with the same themes. I do consider new pieces to be essential and crucial to the success of the book, but there is also something to be said about seeing a printed version of a pic they already like.
I've seen tons of digital pieces, but seeing the same piece on paper in the spectrum books has a much greater impact for some reason.

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 23:13:36

At 9/11/12 10:52 PM, ornery wrote: We can have new stuff as well, but it needs to be of extremely high caliber, and sometimes a users own creative work is better than a piece they try to make for a specific project with guidelines and a theme.

I never said anything about a theme, or guidelines.

Now I'll wholeheartedly admit that I am not logical in terms of the reasons I make purchases. But here's my view of it.

In the very little thought I give to buying a thing like this, it's what I perceive to be the effort that went into making it that makes me interested, or the lack thereof that makes me not interested. Effort gives a thing value to me. When it's a book populated with art made for that book then I know there's a lot of effort put into making that book. If it's a book populated with old art not made for that book, there's effort put in, obviously, to make the art. BUT the effort wasn't put towards making that book. The art itself has value, but the book as a collection of it doesn't, to me.

Again this isn't really a logical belief, because either way the art is in a book, and the art made for the book would probably be put online otherwise. But this is just a description of my 'gut' reaction to a product such as this one. I don't know if it's how anyone else thinks, though.

And I should note that just seeing art printed out in high quality isn't enough of a justification for my purchase of an art book, though maybe for other people it might be.

This can all be mitigated if there are other interesting things put into the book, like say interviews with artists, maybe picture making process 'tutorials' as they have in magazines like ImagineFX, I don't know. But I simply think that the more new art is in a book like this, the more attractive it becomes as a product.

I do understand, though, the practical difficulties of getting a collection of good new art for a Newgrounds art book.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-11 23:46:27

At 9/11/12 11:13 PM, Aigis wrote: When it's a book populated with art made for that book then I know there's a lot of effort put into making that book. If it's a book populated with old art not made for that book, there's effort put in, obviously, to make the art. BUT the effort wasn't put towards making that book. The art itself has value, but the book as a collection of it doesn't, to me.

I agree with this sentiment 100%. I would agree more still, if it were possible.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-13 18:23:33

Thought I'd have a go at thinking about how the book would be laid out.
I would imagine something similar to this: black background, grey borders, multiple images laid out on every page?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-13 18:24:11

Too quick hitting that Post button

Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Art Book - Discussion 2012-09-13 18:53:19

At 9/13/12 06:24 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Too quick hitting that Post button

Ha, I just Favorited that cathedral pic just a bit ago...
Looks like I'm not the only one who liked it :3

BBS Signature