New Topic Respond to this Topic
shadow-ghost
shadow-ghost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Music, copyright and money Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 05:07 PM Reply

Hey guys. Something I've been wondering for a while are the rules surrounding music-editing software and making money. Let's say I write a song in FL Studio or similar software and end up making money from what I've produced. Is this fully legal or is it only for recreational/non-profit use?

Might be a stupid question but I never claimed I wasn't stupid.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Music, copyright and money Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 05:19 PM Reply

As long as you've legally purchased the software (Speaking for FL Studio) and any VSTs you used to create the music, there's nothing wrong with selling what you make...

This is not true of all DAWs however, some (Magix for example) have terms of which that do not give you any rights to whatever you make in the software.

Best way to be sure is to read through the Terms of any and all software you use. It will tell you in there what you are and aren't allowed to do with whatever you produce in the software.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
shadow-ghost
shadow-ghost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Music, copyright and money Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 9/9/12 05:19 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: As long as you've legally purchased the software (Speaking for FL Studio) and any VSTs you used to create the music, there's nothing wrong with selling what you make...

Ah, that's pretty much what I suspected. Thanks for the quick reply.