New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Handwritten Music Sheets Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 07:59 AM Reply

I am thinking of submitting a handwritten music sheet to the art portal and at some stage to do some more in the very distant future (maybe next year, when I'm better organized and more awesome-er in general :P). Question is, I want to make sure it's fine to do so, so here; have a look at the only presentable one I'm submitting XD

Any questions, tips, etc would be helpful
P.S: I used a ruler to make sure everything is spaced out, so it took me a while to make this (in other words, yes, I am a noob >_>)

Handwritten Music Sheets

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Handwritten Music Sheets Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 08:25 AM Reply

At 9/9/12 07:59 AM, Jeromia wrote: I am thinking of submitting a handwritten music sheet to the art portal and at some stage to do some more in the very distant future (maybe next year, when I'm better organized and more awesome-er in general :P). Question is, I want to make sure it's fine to do so, so here; have a look at the only presentable one I'm submitting XD

Any questions, tips, etc would be helpful
P.S: I used a ruler to make sure everything is spaced out, so it took me a while to make this (in other words, yes, I am a noob >_>)

I dont really see any rules against it, but I also dont believe its really art though, maybe a recipe for it. I dont think people really care for looking at music sheets, maybe if they can place it (I cant anymore). Seems more related to audio forum. What exactly is it you want to reach with this? If you want to promote your home-made music (idk) then I dont think the ART forum nor portal is the right place. but hell u can try

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Handwritten Music Sheets Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 09:03 AM Reply

At 9/9/12 07:59 AM, Jeromia wrote: I am thinking of submitting a handwritten music sheet to the art portal

In my opinion, I wouldn't say that was allowable, sorry.
Short stories aren't allowed in the art portal, so I can't see why sheet music would be acceptable.

BBS Signature
Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Handwritten Music Sheets Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 09:06 AM Reply

Hmm... *sigh* if you look at it from an artist's perspective, I suppose it wouldn't make sense to post it up on the art portal because it looks more like a guided sketch (see those straight lines? I didn't draw that) then an actual full drawings that you see in the art portal, and sketches (especially guided ones :\ ) aren't allowed to be posted on the art portal I imagine?

Anyways, the only reason I thought about this is because I like to draw and at some point want to do it wayyy more often. So I thought, "maybe I can post up music sheets to the art portal and draw through that medium?"

Oh well *shrugs*, at least I asked before I submitted XD

Thanks for the help XD

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Handwritten Music Sheets Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 09:22 AM Reply

At 9/9/12 09:06 AM, Jeromia wrote: Anyways, the only reason I thought about this is because I like to draw and at some point want to do it wayyy more often. So I thought, "maybe I can post up music sheets to the art portal and draw through that medium?"

But making music sheets isn't really any more 'drawing' than handwriting out words is 'drawing' is it?

While I'm sure there are certain artistic flairs you can add to elevate the act of making music sheets to art, rather than simply a functional way of conveying how to play a piece of music (in the way that calligraphy turns the act of handwriting itself into an art form), what you've done doesn't seem to go beyond simply making a music sheet.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Handwritten Music Sheets Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 09:40 AM Reply

At 9/9/12 09:22 AM, Aigis wrote: While I'm sure there are certain artistic flairs you can add to elevate the act of making music sheets to art, rather than simply a functional way of conveying how to play a piece of music

Ah never thought of it that way :O

So maybe if I draw say a person writing the music or make the actual sheet a lot more detailed and appealing (i.e. add colors, some shading/shadows, change the shape of the notes up a bit, etc) then it would be more acceptable?

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

MrFap
MrFap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Handwritten Music Sheets Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 03:18 PM Reply

Here's an example of how a music sheet can be artful: bringing sheet music to life
But I don't recommend doing this kind of thing if you're only just starting out on drawing.
Maybe start with something simple. You might find it harder to show of your work, but it's a better learning process in my opinion.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Handwritten Music Sheets Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 05:03 PM Reply

I'll try to get some scans of my piano teacher's stuff.
As a tip for your own stuff; try to loose the ruler; freehanded notes have way more character and are the first step of elevating this to visual art imo. Of course it will take some practice to get a steady hand and a good eye for spacing; pencil stuff down first if you want to be able to correct mistakes.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Handwritten Music Sheets Sep. 10th, 2012 @ 02:37 AM Reply

Alright guys, thanks for all the suggestions, it's very helpful :D (everyone was helpful in a way, so thanks :D)

I agree with you two [above me XD], I'm not going to do that first (maybe I can have a go at drawing simple stuff like landscapes or basic anatomy first?).

I think it should be more like my first serious drawing I suppose XD

But first, I want to get myself to an awesome level in music, so it will take me a long time until I seriously get myself into drawing. But I'm glad I have a sort of guild-line I can follow when I want to make my first serious drawing so again, thanks :)

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!