New Topic Respond to this Topic
HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 12:57 AM Reply

Well, I happened upon a thread that was using word play by turning the word "swag" into a acronym for something distasteful or something to that extent, when I got curious about the true definition of Swagger and Swag (similar words though not exactly the same). Obviously, as that was a joke thread, I wouldn't want to waste the post in there, rather, I make my thread about it for the whomever has had their curiosity piqued by this word.

With a simple dictionary check the word "swag" can mean a specific type of wreath but is more commonly used as the verb meaning: to move heavily or unsteadily. (like, "to sway") This, in and of itself, would seem incredibly unlikely to become what it means today from where it was, and if it stayed as simply meaning to "move unsteadily" it may have never became popular what so ever. However, it interested me to know that a key player in inventing what Swag means today, was actually William Shakespeare.

That's right, the magnificent man of writing magic invented the way we use the word Swag today. He first used it in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in the quote: "What hempen homespuns do we have swaggering here" - Puck

He used it as a verb meaning "to walk or strut with an insolent air" or simply: To walk arrogantly, as in, with an undeserved sense of pride. Obviously these "Homespuns" that Pluck was referencing to were walking like they owned the place and he told it to them.

Since then "to walk arrogantly" was an obscure word that fit perfectly to a contemporary rapper's advantage. Obviously, some big time rapper gave this obscure probable SAT word breath and made it appeal to the young. Swag, today, is just a shortened version of "Swagger" so it is not to be confused with the wreath type of Swag, which is the older definition that doesn't really apply. Therefore, to have "swag" means to have an insolent air about you in your walk or manner. Or at least, that's what it more commonly stands for for today's youth.

So technically, anyone can have "swag" (not the wreath though) so long as they act like they own the place. Why someone would admit to acting like an arrogant, jerk, you got me. But hey, it's our "gnarly", our "Wack", our "out of sight!" Sure we hate it now, hate it like our parents hate disco, but we'll laugh at it later when it falls out of style, so best have fun with it.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 01:00 AM Reply

My mind is so full of fuck

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 01:10 AM Reply

At 9/8/12 01:01 AM, Natick wrote: presumption, assumptions, cumupins, muffins, I like cats.

It's factual son, there is a quote from "A midsummer night's dream" with the word "swagger" in there. It wasn't made up, scout's honor. Just read the OP and you'll see.

also yeah, I typed the title too fast. I got it right in the post though.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 01:11 AM Reply

At 9/8/12 01:01 AM, Natick wrote: The whole "sagging pants" thing happened as a trend in prisons when it meant you got buttfucked so hard that you didn't even have the strength to pull your pants up.

That's a myth. I know people who've been inside and they've told me that most of what you hear regarding things like that is utter bullshit.

Please don't compare Shakespeare* to this dumb word again.

Read the thread before you comment.

*There's an e at the end.

Also a myth. Shakespeare spelled his name hundreds of different ways.

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 01:19 AM Reply

At 9/8/12 01:01 AM, Natick wrote: pseudo-intellectual garbage

That's a fun term to throw around the BBS, isn't it?

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
tarahloveshentai
tarahloveshentai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 03:25 AM Reply

It sounds very similar to racial slur that's been common place to identify not on certain people of color within there community but by those outside their community.

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 8th, 2012 @ 03:40 AM Reply

Theres a lot of thought on the origin of this word. Shakespeare certainly didn't invent it in the way that most contemporary teens use it, however, which is as loot; as in "Check out my swag, 3 lollipops and a leaky condom." Would be nice if modern colloquialisms were derived from Shakespeare, though. Poignant, at least.

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 12:19 AM Reply

At 9/8/12 03:25 AM, Tarah wrote: It sounds very similar to racial slur that's been common place to identify not on certain people of color within there community but by those outside their community.

Not quite sure what you mean? A racial slur? It's clearly used as a verb, not a noun, I don't understand.

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 12:23 AM Reply

For fucks sake shakespeare, you stupid arse!

BBS Signature
Metraff
Metraff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Voice Actor
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 01:21 AM Reply

At 9/8/12 12:58 AM, hiddeninthecrowd wrote: i doth so fresheth that thou art able to suck my nuts

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Support NG. Tweeter
"Metraff I'm going to fuck you." - Sodamachine

DaAtheno
DaAtheno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 01:43 AM Reply

you know..... i feel like I learned something today.

Do you think your attractive? Go to my youtube channel to find out (or not).

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 01:56 AM Reply

He also invented the words bloodthirsty and assassinate, let's make a thread about it.

Eddmario
Eddmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 02:50 AM Reply

Wasn't swag invented in the 60s by homosexual males, and was short for "Secretly, We Are Gay"?

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7832-9212 | Gamertag: Eddmario
Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
MagicMichael66
MagicMichael66
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Programmer
Response to Shakespear invented Swag Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 12:33 PM Reply

At 9/8/12 01:01 AM, Natick wrote: Before I bother to read that wall of pseudo-intellectual garbage, I'd like to say a fun fact.

The whole "sagging pants" thing happened as a trend in prisons when it meant you got buttfucked so hard that you didn't even have the strength to pull your pants up.

Please don't compare Shakespeare* to this dumb word again.

*There's an e at the end.

Actually, prisoners who wanted to be penetrated, lowered their pants to let their inmates know.

BBS Signature