New Topic Respond to this Topic
RazzleDazzleBeatz
RazzleDazzleBeatz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Instruments? 2012-09-07 13:28:43 Reply

Ok, so I'll cut this quick by saying, I'm a sample artist. Anything involving melodic sounds, I have to sample. I can make my own drums and stuff like that, but actual instruments, I sample. I haven't posted any of my sample workings, other than samples that came with FL Studio, on Newgrounds though, as I know it is against the rules. I also figure that if I want to get any better at this stuff and want to sell it, I'm gonna need my own instruments.

Alright, that's me. Now, I don't know how to add a VST into my FL Studio program, at all. I barely know how to use one all that well. But I'd like to start. Of course, I don't have any plug-ins/VSTs worth anything.. I don't even have any SoundFonts that are all that spectacular..

Does anybody here know of a place or anywhere I can get free plug-ins, soundfonts, instrumental samples, or VSTs that would allow me to legally sell my work? If its a VST or plug-in, how do I "plug-it-in" to my FL Studio? Thanks in advance...

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Instruments? 2012-09-07 13:57:19 Reply

KVR Audio is the place you want. Lots of free VSTs in there. Almost none of them will sound as good as ones you have to pay for though so I'd highly suggest investing in some VSTs sometime in the future.

Basically, what you have to do to install a VST is to first make a folder called VstPlugins (I'd suggest putting this in your Program Files folder). Then, in FL Studio, go to Options > File Settings and under VST plugins extra search folder browse for the VstPlugins folder you made (this may have been done already for you). Now FL Studio knows where to look for new VSTs.

From then on it depends on what VST you're installing. A lot of the better ones come with a setup file (.exe) which should guide you through everything (when the setup wizard asks you where your VST Plugins folder is, obviously make sure you browse for the VstPlugins folder you set in FL Studio's File Settings). For the ones that don't come with a setup file, all you need to do is simply copy and paste the file(s) into your VstPlugins folder.

Once you've gone through the setup or pasted your files into the VstPlugins folder, go to FL again, go to Channels > Add one > More..., and at the bottom right of the window that just popped up, click Refresh > Fast scan (recommended). This will scan in the VstPlugins folder you set in the File Settings for any new VSTs and should only take a few seconds. Your new VSTs will come up in temporary red text in the list of VSTs when it's done scanning. Click on the box near them to favourite them. An 'F' should come up next to them.

After that, simply close that window, go to Channels > Add one and choose your VST. It'll throw it in the step sequencer as a channel and you can start using it. If you still have problems with it, or have any FL Studio questions in the future, just go here.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Instruments? 2012-09-07 16:20:26 Reply

I love KVR! I also prefer Hitsquad Music Software. They have a very, very large collection of well organized VSTs, software instruments, plugins, AUs, effects, samplers, e.t.c. There are thousands of things on there and I have slowly peered through many of them over the past few years. I have found great plugins on there, such as Abysnth 5, Effectrixx, and Red Skull Distorter.

BabySteps
BabySteps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Instruments? 2012-09-07 16:43:05 Reply

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1200140

good luck

RazzleDazzleBeatz
RazzleDazzleBeatz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Instruments? 2012-09-10 13:32:40 Reply

I appreciate the help everybody. Those are some great samples, and thanks for the KVR website Step.

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Instruments? 2012-09-10 14:02:21 Reply

TAL is your friend. :)

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

usaku
usaku
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Instruments? 2012-09-22 01:33:27 Reply

Download VST plugin called Nexus) It is for the initial experience is good, there is a ready-made set of tools. In general, try to use more controllers and a mixer, and Google to help :)

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Instruments? 2012-09-22 10:34:34 Reply

I actually have a set of tutorials including how to use and install VSTs. It's not for FL but for Reaper, though I expect you can still use the information, for example where you can actually find tons of VSTs etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unvyf8wXxf8

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Instruments? 2012-09-22 10:52:34 Reply

Instruments are terrible anyway, you should never use them.

sugarsimon
sugarsimon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Instruments? 2012-09-24 02:46:19 Reply

reFX Nexus is a real plugin synthesizer

seel
seel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Instruments? 2012-09-24 14:02:23 Reply

At 9/22/12 10:52 AM, Buoy wrote: Instruments are terrible anyway, you should never use them.

This guy right here, he knows what's up.