Support NATA 2014
CJBIG
CJBIG
  • Member since: Jun. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Pop Art? Sep. 5th, 2012 @ 12:16 PM Reply

Hey Newgrounds I don't do forum posts as often as I would like to but I decided to bring up something I don't see much around here. Ever since forever NG has been a damn breeding ground for some really great and diverse pieces of art, regardless of genre and type. Although Pop Art is not limited to just silly photo-manipulation I find it increasingly difficult to find some that is almost traditional in nature. So what do you think? Is it a dying form altogether? Or is it just that modern art styles are stretched so far that each specific type has its own period of glory before another takes its place?

Personal examples:
Link
link

Old school examples (Warhol)
link
link


"We are not stones to endure the rain and snow. We are people."

DooDooMeaT
DooDooMeaT
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Pop Art? Sep. 5th, 2012 @ 01:48 PM Reply

... ur coping and pasting.


Like me on the FaceBook :D

CJBIG
CJBIG
  • Member since: Jun. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Pop Art? Sep. 5th, 2012 @ 02:01 PM Reply

At 9/5/12 01:48 PM, DooDooMeaT wrote: ... ur coping and pasting.

Used imagery is a huge part of any piece using photo-manipulation specifically. Wether or not it's your own photography or a face cut out of a magazine. Signs, symbols, people, words have all been used before in some way or another. You see this in many painters styles as well namely famous European painters. Unless it's water color, clay/ice sculpture etc then no shape is 100% organic and that's what a whole lot of art is, shapes.


"We are not stones to endure the rain and snow. We are people."

test-object
test-object
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Pop Art? Sep. 5th, 2012 @ 02:04 PM Reply

At 9/5/12 12:16 PM, CJBIG wrote: So what do you think? Is it a dying form altogether?

I don't think you fully grasp Pop-art all together.

Pop-Art has a lot of history behind it and isn't just about bright colours or recolouring images. It was about consumerism and using that consumerism as part of the artistic statement. Let's say for example; Warhol's Chair. Warhol sold this image of a most dreadful event/invention in massproduction, in colours that fit buyer's wallpaper. It's a reflection on how people have forgotten about context and content, which made way for shallow form and appearance. Marylin Monroe was nothing but an icon, she wasn't human anymore.

The main problem however, is how lazy your art is. It's all digital, it's all premade shapes and easy sliders and whilst that's debateble pop-art (after all, Warhol had people massproducing his works) you're putting it online, trying to stick more meaning in it than you should. On the question if Pop-art is dead or not; yes it is. Like every other single art movement in history. You should try focus on the now and study on how the current situation came to be. Simply redoing old gestures isn't fitting nor relevant to today's ideas.

It seems like you heard of Warhol and thought to yourself "I can do this too!" That's not an attack, mind you. It's easy to fall in that trap. Warhol's work IS relatively easy to make. Heck, some people hate Warhol for bringing lazy kitsch into art, which is also a very valid point of view.

Bottom line: whatever you think or believe; before you start using the shape tool in Photoshop, pick up a real pencil and some books. It's so much more rewarding and a far better base than any preset ever.


A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Izzy-A
Izzy-A
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Pop Art? Sep. 5th, 2012 @ 02:07 PM Reply

I think the people you took the imagery from would be unhappy that you're claiming the whole piece as your own.

As far as pop art goes, it's a dying breed, much like a lot of old art and media. Painting has been dead for a long time, although it comes back every now and then. Digital art is what's dominant today, and that might die down too in the future.

CJBIG
CJBIG
  • Member since: Jun. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Pop Art? Sep. 5th, 2012 @ 02:35 PM Reply

At 9/5/12 02:07 PM, Izzy-A wrote: I think the people you took the imagery from would be unhappy that you're claiming the whole piece as your own.

As far as pop art goes, it's a dying breed, much like a lot of old art and media. Painting has been dead for a long time, although it comes back every now and then. Digital art is what's dominant today, and that might die down too in the future.

I'm glad you mentioned that I took the imagery and that I'm claiming it as my own. I was actually very torn about even saying "by" me for any of this. I found my self saying "manipulation by" instead of "art by" because you're right that's not true. As far as them being unhappy, if they got upset by anything it would probably be the subject matter. I took a graphic design class once and we watched this long and boring documentary about Warhol and thought that his art was simple, unoriginal and meaningless off the bat because I didn't understand it. It's the people who associate the objects with something. It's in our DNA to say "this must mean something because I recognize it." What I'm doing here is altering the ideas associated with some of these objects and icons. I absolutely don't want to claim the art as mine because it's not. I do however have the right to claim an idea.


"We are not stones to endure the rain and snow. We are people."

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Artist
Response to Pop Art? Sep. 5th, 2012 @ 10:35 PM Reply

At 9/5/12 12:16 PM, CJBIG wrote:
Personal examples:
Link
link

wow... these, these are not very good. I have to agree with test, I don't think you really understand Pop Art at all. This work hardly represents anything but a poor use of photoshop.

So Yeah grab a pencil, some paper and some art books, or at least some art history books. One class of Graphic Design, and one documentary does not an artist make.


Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
CJBIG
CJBIG
  • Member since: Jun. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Animator
Response to Pop Art? Sep. 6th, 2012 @ 12:15 AM Reply

At 9/5/12 10:35 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 9/5/12 12:16 PM, CJBIG wrote:
Personal examples:
Link
link
wow... these, these are not very good. I have to agree with test, I don't think you really understand Pop Art at all. This work hardly represents anything but a poor use of photoshop.

So Yeah grab a pencil, some paper and some art books, or at least some art history books. One class of Graphic Design, and one documentary does not an artist make.

You know the responses I get to these vary wildy. Some love some hate, some understand and some just don't. What I like about NG members is the honesty to critique and recommend. By the way I don't use photoshop because my computer simply can't handle it. What I do want people to try and capture though is the meaning behind these pieces. As I said earlier, I can't claim any of this as completely original art so watch out when saying the art itself is bad (not that you said that at all friend, just for future commentors). Also, if you don't want to call it pop-art that's fine with me since it was just a recommendation that I do from someone much more experienced. Thanks for the comments everyone, it's good stuff.


"We are not stones to endure the rain and snow. We are people."