New Topic Respond to this Topic
KJOokami
KJOokami
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 10/26/12 06:52 PM, mrbipolar wrote: Be ready for those results.

My body is ready.

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 12:33 AM Reply

All of the scores have been turned in! The final results will be posted Within the next 24 hours. (gotta average everything and write up a post) Stay tuned!

Like Let's Plays? Click Down Below... *Winky Face*

BBS Signature
Ragemar
Ragemar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 02:34 AM Reply

At 10/27/12 12:33 AM, JaShinYa wrote: All of the scores have been turned in! The final results will be posted Within the next 24 hours. (gotta average everything and write up a post) Stay tuned!

myaaHaHAaaaHaaaHHHAHAHAAAHHHH!
That's the sound my nerves are making. The anticipation is like a crescendo of cymbals in my head.

ecopper12
ecopper12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 08:41 AM Reply

You know, I had a thought...

My heart could make a pretty convincing drum line right now.

That can't be too good. xD

Chongo
Chongo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 10:16 AM Reply

I'm not as anxious as I should be. I simplly didnt do near my best :P

Always willing to voice act. Make music in my freetime. That's what I get for not having Flash

Click the pic to see the cool stuff I do on the Youtubes

BBS Signature
Ultraconsole
Ultraconsole
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 12:08 PM Reply

Aww I was hoping the scores would be posted before I left for work :P
Guess I will have to see them when I get off tonight D:

ATheatricalSongBird
ATheatricalSongBird
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 10:13 PM Reply

Good luck to everyone!
I've listened to a couple of the recordings, and they've been awesome!!
Now, I shall commence the 'shaking in my boots' routine as we draw closer to the end! Haha :)

ecopper12
ecopper12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 11:59 PM Reply

If the results are not posted soon, I will have a sad.

Too late.

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 12:44 AM Reply

Alright everyone! Sorry for everything being posted so late, but I've got everything set up now!

First thing's first... as is tradition since I took the lead on these competitions, I like to post some general notes that I found to be common recurrences as well as some random thoughts about the contest.

- Many entries had a tendency to under act. I know personally that sometimes you feel pretty self conscious when you're screaming, making weird noises and essentially talking to yourself. But as voice actors, you need to try to let go of your inhibitions. Overact! Go crazy if you half to! Get the shyness out of your system. It's always easier to tone it down then to dial it up. Often times if you feel like you're over acting, you're probably actually hitting the mark.
- SFX and music volume was an issue. Make sure it's not too loud and/or distracting. Sometimes you don't even need it. It's a good tool to add feel to a skit or just to cover some room ambiance, but we need to be able to concentrate on your voice acting. Don't use it as a tool to cover up your voice for any reason. That is what this contest is about after all.
- Diction! This is especially an issue with those of you who don't speak English as a first language. The judges understand that you may or may not be 100% fluent and that you're probably going to have an accent, but that can't be used as an excuse to slur and mumble your lines. As for fluent English speakers, this really shouldn't be an issue. If you have a regional accent, do your best to practice something non-regional. Also, tongue twisters are a great way to practice diction as well as the "pencil" exercise.
- Some skits seemed like everything was done in one or two takes. Take pride in your work and put more effort into our skits. Especially for those of you who are dreaming of becoming a pro someday. I can guarantee you will not make it anywhere without being willing to put in the hours. If you need to do 100 takes to get it right, then do it.
- I noticed during some of the discussion that there are several stage actors who participated. While any kind of acting is invaluable practice and experience, those of you who are used to the stage need to be careful not to act TO an audience. In voice overs, you're acting FOR an audience much like movie and TV actors.
- There is a ton of talent and potential here. However, a lot of these skits didn't show off a broad emotional range of acting and energy. Even if the skit in itself is great, in context of the competition it may not give us a lot to go off of.
- Improv can be difficult to make sound good so be careful. I would suggest to almost everyone to use it sparingly. Too often, it sounds unorganized and confusing. Nervous stuttering kind of goes hand in hand with this. Even if it is scripted, be careful not to overdo it. It's rare that it sounds natural for a character to stumble over their words for a full 5 to 10 seconds.
- Many of you lost some originality points simply because many of the entries were about the same things. Therapists and cleaning shit in some form seemed to be the biggest "Horrible Job".
- Many of you had narration in your skit which is fine. The issue I had was that it often gets drawn out. Most of the time, listeners don't listen just to hear someone TELL the story, they want to actually hear the story itself.
- Almost all of the entries had some issues with dead air and puffs/pops. Invest in pop filters and try to get skilled with noise cancellation. (Warning: Audacity's noise cancellation is hard to make sound good. It tends to distort the audio).
- Those of you who are trying to act with an accent that's not natural to you, sometimes sounded forced. Also, be careful not to make ALL of your voices about using different accents. At least not in a contest (unless it's a contest about accents).
- Whisper yelling is a BIG no-no. This goes back to the point about over acting. It's much more realistic if you actually yell. Don't be shy!
- While SFX and voice filters can be cool an add to your skit, overuse can be confusing and out of place. It's also distracting and it seems like you're trying to divert attention from your dialog for some reason. Unless you're really good with mixing, you should keep it simple in most cases.
- When a character interrupts another character, make sure it sounds natural. If I can hear the cut you made, it sounds scripted. also, try to overlap the dialog (just a little) to make it sound unexpected. If they stop talking right before getting cut off, it's like they knew it was going to happen.
- A few skits didn't really highlight the theme really well. If this is you, then make sure you keep that in mind for the next contest. Since I didn't make it clear how this would affect your scores, each judge took it out of different parts of your score, but either way, points were taken. I am making a note to add this to future contests so it's more clear.
- A few more random thoughts: I was very happy to see that almost everybody in this contest was a new name (at least to me). The fact that almost all of the skits scored in the "good" to "great" range is even more exciting!-- Almost all of the scores were really close and in fact there were three ties that I had to break... two of which were for 1st and 3rd.-- Lastly, as a testament to how hard it was to judge this year, all of the judges scores differed a lot of various entries. This is a good thing and I'm happy that I was able to have three other judges to balance out the opinions.

Final words: Great job to everyone! I'm really happy with the results and everyone deserves praise for their work. I really hope to see you guys next contest and hope you all continue to improve (no one's perfect!) and maybe we'll be able to actually work together on projects in the future! On a different note, after these scores are posted, please do not flame or troll. Respect the judges' opinions as we were all fair and unbiased. No matter what your score, don't stop recording. Practice, network and get support from other VA's! The voice over community is a tight one! Speaking only for myself, please feel free to PM me with any questions, comments or suggestions about the scores and contest. The other judges will let you know if they will be responding to inquiries. Lastly, I am only posting the final scores in the next post. If you would like to see the breakdown and comments from each judge, check your submission for a review left by me. (I'll be doing these after posting the scores).

Now, without further ado...

BBS Signature
Ragemar
Ragemar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:11 AM Reply

Eeek! The anticipation is palpable!

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:19 AM Reply

FINAL SCORES:

First Place:

• A Horrible Job
    A Horrible Job by bodtchboy

An interview with a potential horrible job canidate

Score
    4.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Comedy
    Popularity

(Final Score- 136/150)

Second Place:

• VAC9 - Double T Retail
    VAC9 - Double T Retail by KJOokami

Is a horrible job still horrible if you're too dumb to realize how horrible it is?

Score
    4.18 / 5.00
    Type
    Voice
    Genre
    Comedy
    Popularity

(Final Score- 136/150)

Third Place:

• Marriage Counselor
    Marriage Counselor by ZipZipper

For Voice Acting Contest 9

Score
    4.39 / 5.00
    Type
    Voice
    Genre
    Voice Demo
    Popularity

(Final Score- 135/150)

Fourth Place:

• The King's Bottom Cleaner
    The King's Bottom Cleaner by Mythologic

The King is in search of a new bottom cleaner, but who will claim the role?

Score
    3.94 / 5.00
    Type
    Voice
    Genre
    Voice Demo
    Popularity

(Final Score- 135/150)

5th: Obsidiaguy (134/150)
6th: Ragemar (131/150)
7th: JoePorter134 (130/150)
8th: moonvamp (129/150)
9th: KirbzVA (129/150)
10th: ATheatricalSongBird (129/150)
11th: tngjames (127/150)
12th: UltraConsole (125/150)
13th: Sonbiru (125/150)
14th: Adam-Beilgard (124/150)
15th: Supatone (120/150)
16th: ecopper12 (119/150)
17th: sammymcjack (114/150)
18th: Ryry67dude (112/150)
19th: Xanorin (82/150)
20th: Terzom (74/150)
21st: DivoFST (71/150)

Congrats to the winners and good job to everyone else! Let us know what you got with your store credit and I'll be PMing the 1st place winner with the info on how to get in touch with Kyle Hebert for your training session!

BBS Signature
moonvamp
moonvamp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:23 AM Reply

Well, I'm not really surprised that I didn't place higher. Mine was VERY last minute, so a lot of the stuff was rushed at best. Congrats to the winners though. Nicely done.

BBS Signature
KJOokami
KJOokami
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:29 AM Reply

Oh. Oh my god. I got 2nd? O____O

Holy freaking sharktopus. I don't. I don't even know what to say right now. I'm just... holy crap!

Ragemar
Ragemar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:31 AM Reply

Woot! I moved up from where I was in VAC 8! Improvement!

JoePorter134
JoePorter134
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:36 AM Reply

Hey not bad for my first contest freakin sweet. SAY HEY TOO MR. HEBERT FOR ME BRO!

I'm the one who knocks.

ATheatricalSongBird
ATheatricalSongBird
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:37 AM Reply

Congrats on the second place, Kyle!
Who could resist all that alliteration!? XD
Congrats, all!!

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:48 AM Reply

Hey! Another note: the reviews will be late due to the fact that where I'm living in Hawaii is being evacuated since there's a Tsunami coming. Won't have the web where I'm going. I will get it done though!

BBS Signature
Ragemar
Ragemar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 02:03 AM Reply

At 10/28/12 01:48 AM, JaShinYa wrote: Hey! Another note: the reviews will be late due to the fact that where I'm living in Hawaii is being evacuated since there's a Tsunami coming. Won't have the web where I'm going. I will get it done though!

Hokum and crow, man! Forget the reviews! Get safe!

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 02:20 AM Reply

Somehow, I missed listening to the entry that got first place...d'oh. That threw me off, but what a surprise! I'm very pleased to have placed third. I really can't wait to read all the judge's inputs, so I hope JaShinYa comes out alive.

Voice acting is something I view to be extremely difficult, let alone perfect. This whole field in general is challenging to me, so it's reassuring to see that maybe there's some chance...

Big congrats to the two big winners and all the contestants. Looks like it was surely a difficult contest to judge.

BBS Signature
Treg
Treg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 02:55 AM Reply

Wow.. yeah.. I was pretty off apparently =/ I believe I'll leave the judging to someone more suitable next time. Congrats to the winners.

Obsidiaguy
Obsidiaguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 03:28 AM Reply

Aww, just missed the list. Congrats to the winners!

KirbzVA
KirbzVA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 10:02 AM Reply

Congratulations to everyone!

ecopper12
ecopper12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 10:21 AM Reply

Congrats to everyone who won!

This was fun, and it was an absolute JOY to be a part of? Is there anyway I can have my notes/scores PMed to me? I'd like to use them to learn.

Supatone
Supatone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 01:07 PM Reply

Congratulations winners. This was fun!

bodtchboy
bodtchboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 02:29 PM Reply

Awesome contest, awesome entries! I'm still flabbergasted I placed so high! Too many great submissions! Good job everyone! And thanks to those who put this contest together! Kudos to you!

Xanorin
Xanorin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 09:26 PM Reply

Third place from behind... ah well. As for the rankings, the "Innocent Murderer" was among the first I've heard, and it did tell its story. "Your Daughter" was the last I heard, and it struck me pretty much. They both ended up ranked below my work, so I can imagine how hard it was to judge all the works.

I'd like to read the thoughts about what I messed up, but screw it, get the hell away from that thing and come back in one piece. Best hopes for everyone out there.

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 10:25 PM Reply

So the Tsunami turned out to be pretty anti-climactic so I'm gonna get to work on posting your reviews and yes I can send it to your PM as well once I'm done. Now I just have to worry about my family in PA with the hurricane. :/

BBS Signature
KJOokami
KJOokami
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 12:47 AM Reply

At 10/28/12 10:25 PM, JaShinYa wrote: So the Tsunami turned out to be pretty anti-climactic so I'm gonna get to work on posting your reviews and yes I can send it to your PM as well once I'm done. Now I just have to worry about my family in PA with the hurricane. :/

I've got family and friends scattered across the NJ/PA area, so I'll be sure to keep your family in my thoughts as well.

Glad to hear the tsunami didn't cause too much trouble, though. :)

SimCorder
SimCorder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 02:10 AM Reply

At 10/28/12 01:48 AM, JaShinYa wrote: Hey! Another note: the reviews will be late due to the fact that where I'm living in Hawaii is being evacuated since there's a Tsunami coming. Won't have the web where I'm going. I will get it done though!

Yikes.. Hope everything turns out well JaShin,

As for my individual comments/scores, I'll be sure to send them in a review and/or PM when I get a chance.. college work is really dragging me down this year

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 Oct. 29th, 2012 @ 02:28 AM Reply

At 10/29/12 12:47 AM, KJOokami wrote:
At 10/28/12 10:25 PM, JaShinYa wrote: So the Tsunami turned out to be pretty anti-climactic so I'm gonna get to work on posting your reviews and yes I can send it to your PM as well once I'm done. Now I just have to worry about my family in PA with the hurricane. :/
I've got family and friends scattered across the NJ/PA area, so I'll be sure to keep your family in my thoughts as well.

Glad to hear the tsunami didn't cause too much trouble, though. :)

Thanks man! I appreciate it. :)

I have gotten a few reviews up. Pretty much going in order of sumission so if you entered the contest early, you might have one!

BBS Signature