New Topic Respond to this Topic
jqzjqz
jqzjqz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:04:03 Reply

I don't mean to rant... but you know... I have been keeping it to myself for a really long time... but I need to get it off my chest now.

Newgrounds has changed a lot. The new look is very nice and all, but I really miss the old Portal.

Looking at several recent portal submissions, the view counts on most movies are very low. Games get a couple more hits because apparently every one loves to play games. Is that really what Newgrounds has come to? Just another website for games? What happened to the Portal? Where did every one go? Youtube? DeviantART?

It's not even the view counts that's bothering me or the massive submissions of games... I just miss seeing more creative animations that weren't necessarily the best. Nowadays, all the submissions are good because everyone's getting better at flash and everyone can afford a tablet. I also miss reading reviews about certain submissions that did not get the credit it deserved, before there was even a favorite function available on Newgrounds when the there was a gray and yellow interface. Now you have to really dig through the search bar to find one of those kinds of flashes possibly submitted around 2002. Speaking of the early years of 2000, do any of you guys remember how much patriotism Newgrounds showed during 9/11?

Not to get off topic now... don't get me wrong, I like the new Newgrounds too and there are still some user-submitted flashes out there "keeping it real" so to speak. But not as much as there were back in the days.

Ahh.. the good ol days... when Flash was known as Macromedia Flash (not Adobe). There was so much creativity, so much vulgarity, and so much blamming. It was amazing when good animations were uncommon. You had to dig through so many bad cartoons and games to come across a good animation or game. But it's not like that any more. Everyone's good at using Flash now. And there's so many games, that are copies of old games except with a different theme. Sometimes... I crave to see a first-time animator's work. I thought the Turd of the Week was entertaining at times but it seems they don't give that award out any more.

Then again... it is September... a busy month for everyone... so I guess this is where I'll be ending my rant. Maybe I'm wrong about this whole thing. Sorry and thank you for reading. For the record, I still love Newgrounds no matter what!

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:04:43 Reply

rip ng

The New Newgrounds...

trakt|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:05:18 Reply

What's up with all the threads about newgrounds today?

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Qelaion
Qelaion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:06:13 Reply

At 9/5/12 12:04 AM, jqzjqz wrote: I don't mean to rant...

awesome

cool

ya

i completely agree dude

BC | SC | FB
Click the sig for my Youtube.

BBS Signature
jqzjqz
jqzjqz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:20:16 Reply

At 9/5/12 12:06 AM, Qelaion wrote: i completely agree dude

Thanks, I knew I wasn't the only one.

Blazejsg
Blazejsg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:26:24 Reply

Everything has to change.
Newgrounds simply just turned more "modern".

It's not going to be the same forever, what would be the point of that?
There's nothing better or worse that the new redesign has then the new one.

Just like a person grows, so will newgrounds.
It's only logical that there will always be change, for the good or the bad.
It doesn't make a difference, because it's just the internet website.
It's not going to beneficial in your life in any way.

Wops, did I write all of that?

BBS Signature
Blazejsg
Blazejsg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:27:40 Reply

At 9/5/12 12:26 AM, Blazejsg wrote:
There's nothing better or worse that the new redesign has then the old one.

Old one"
fuck.

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:28:16 Reply

At 9/5/12 12:27 AM, Blazejsg wrote:
At 9/5/12 12:26 AM, Blazejsg wrote:
There's nothing better or worse that the new redesign has then the old one.
Old one"
fuck.

lmao you suck at typing

trakt|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:31:16 Reply

Nostalgia goggles.

jqzjqz
jqzjqz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:39:12 Reply

At 9/5/12 12:26 AM, Blazejsg wrote: Everything has to change.
Newgrounds simply just turned more "modern".

It's not going to be the same forever, what would be the point of that?
There's nothing better or worse that the new redesign has then the new one.

Just like a person grows, so will newgrounds.
It's only logical that there will always be change, for the good or the bad.
It doesn't make a difference, because it's just the internet website.
It's not going to beneficial in your life in any way.

Wops, did I write all of that?

I see where you're going with the metaphor. I have been going to Newgrounds since 1997. Unless you have been coming to this site around that time, you won't understand how Newgrounds did make a difference. Before there was youtube, before there was even wikipedia, before there was even an iPhone. Before these distractions, there was Newgrounds. And it was a great getaway from the stress during the late 90s and early 2000s.

But you are right... people and things have to change... for the better or worse.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:46:09 Reply

I read that, and I can tell you nothing changed.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
jqzjqz
jqzjqz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:56:20 Reply

Which one of you remember when Newgrounds look like this? Those who say yes should understand where I'm coming from and those who don't... I'm sorry, but you joined the site too late. A lot of history on Newgrounds...

The New Newgrounds...

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:59:45 Reply

Someone get 2 screen caps of every page on this version of newgrounds, because everyone knows that in 10 years from now we're all gonna be sad that it doesn't look like this any more

TAB

BBS Signature
timeslyr
timeslyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 00:59:46 Reply

I've been around newgrounds since 2003 and I've seen this place change a lot. I've had a bunch of problems with accounts and some are so old I can't even recall my old passwords. The idea of newgrounds is changing all the time, much of what newgrounds stood for is not what it stands for today. I recall this place when there used to be a bunch of spam everywhere and I must say it's gotten more organized over the long years. This place is more alive than it ever was in my opinion, its just gotten less traffic because the original craze has matured. That doesn't mean newgrounds is dead, by far none. It just means that it's changing to meet with today's media.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:01:48 Reply

At 9/5/12 12:56 AM, jqzjqz wrote: Which one of you remember when Newgrounds look like this?

It had frames before that as well.

Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:07:30 Reply

At 9/5/12 12:56 AM, jqzjqz wrote: Which one of you remember when Newgrounds look like this? Those who say yes should understand where I'm coming from and those who don't... I'm sorry, but you joined the site too late. A lot of history on Newgrounds...

If it means anything, I long for the days I could never experience. I'm a modern user always peaking over to the Web Archive just to pretend to experience it. It's probably not as glamorous as it seems, but there's a charm of it that I love.

But it's 2012. Not 2001. There's plenty of automated video web sites, Newgrounds isn't special anymore. Does that it should die? No. Does that mean we should cross over to Youtube and be small fish in a large confusing pond? Certainly not.

What this boils down to is that we're a community. We're the ones who make Newgrounds. Sure Tom manages it, the staff edits it, but we're what truly makes Newgrounds Newgrounds. Newgrounds would not have evolved if it was still Tom's personal website. Instead he was a pioneer of what made the Internet as large, and flash integrated as it is.

So if we are what makes Newgrounds Newgrounds what does that mean for us? It means we, the users, have to govern it. We, the users, have to try to keep up the flow. We, the users, have to encourage other users to get into flash (and, of course, other mediums).

We can cry. We can complain. We can moan and groan, desire all we want to capture the good old days. It's not gonna come back. The best we can do is try to make new "good old days."

And, if you're a user who has no flash, feels the missing of the old days of NG, then perhaps you should try to make yourself useful and try to help fix a very obvious problem.

The answer is to submit. It's your choice, however. Keep letting Newgrounds sink or try to help it swim?

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
halocod69
halocod69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:08:22 Reply

da new neground is gud bcuz it easr 2 post mi sick montages!!!

i m da king uv xbox!!!! ad my GT xXx69xMLGx

BBS Signature
jqzjqz
jqzjqz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:10:07 Reply

At 9/5/12 12:59 AM, timeslyr wrote: I've been around newgrounds since 2003 and I've seen this place change a lot. I've had a bunch of problems with accounts and some are so old I can't even recall my old passwords. The idea of newgrounds is changing all the time, much of what newgrounds stood for is not what it stands for today. I recall this place when there used to be a bunch of spam everywhere and I must say it's gotten more organized over the long years. This place is more alive than it ever was in my opinion, its just gotten less traffic because the original craze has matured. That doesn't mean newgrounds is dead, by far none. It just means that it's changing to meet with today's media.

The spam was worth getting through because of how fun Newgrounds was at the time. As far as this place being alive. There's only 100+ forum users online right now. It also says, Most registered users ever online: 774 (Tuesday 17th July, 2007, at 5:23 PM). We will probably never break that record again.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:14:13 Reply

At 9/5/12 01:10 AM, jqzjqz wrote: The spam was worth getting through because of how fun Newgrounds was at the time.

I keep hearing this from the older people of newgrounds, and, well, I notice a reoccurring pattern in anyone nostalgious about something

"It was better back then because it was just more fun"

It was spam, end of story. And the only way I could imagine anyone enjoying spam is if everyone's 12 and completely "lolman dis is so funnay man lolz"

oh wait, everyone was 12 back then

TAB

BBS Signature
jqzjqz
jqzjqz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:17:19 Reply

At 9/5/12 01:07 AM, Narcissy wrote:
At 9/5/12 12:56 AM, jqzjqz wrote: Which one of you remember when Newgrounds look like this? Those who say yes should understand where I'm coming from and those who don't... I'm sorry, but you joined the site too late. A lot of history on Newgrounds...
If it means anything, I long for the days I could never experience. I'm a modern user always peaking over to the Web Archive just to pretend to experience it. It's probably not as glamorous as it seems, but there's a charm of it that I love.

But it's 2012. Not 2001. There's plenty of automated video web sites, Newgrounds isn't special anymore. Does that it should die? No. Does that mean we should cross over to Youtube and be small fish in a large confusing pond? Certainly not.

What this boils down to is that we're a community. We're the ones who make Newgrounds. Sure Tom manages it, the staff edits it, but we're what truly makes Newgrounds Newgrounds. Newgrounds would not have evolved if it was still Tom's personal website. Instead he was a pioneer of what made the Internet as large, and flash integrated as it is.

So if we are what makes Newgrounds Newgrounds what does that mean for us? It means we, the users, have to govern it. We, the users, have to try to keep up the flow. We, the users, have to encourage other users to get into flash (and, of course, other mediums).

We can cry. We can complain. We can moan and groan, desire all we want to capture the good old days. It's not gonna come back. The best we can do is try to make new "good old days."

And, if you're a user who has no flash, feels the missing of the old days of NG, then perhaps you should try to make yourself useful and try to help fix a very obvious problem.

The answer is to submit. It's your choice, however. Keep letting Newgrounds sink or try to help it swim?

It seems you got over it faster than I am. It kinda hurts to know that the old Newgrounds is gone. The frontpage right now is entirely different than the screenshot of Newgrounds in 2002. Just look at the content. How can you compare Anti-Osama and Rooftop Skateboarding to the more modern frontpage with more user-friendly content. I tell ya, if the old school people were still here... they would be making games about justin bieber... a violent game... That's something you can't take away from the old Newgrounds.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:18:25 Reply

At 9/5/12 01:17 AM, jqzjqz wrote: I tell ya, if the old school people were still here... they would be making games about justin bieber... a violent game... That's something you can't take away from the old Newgrounds.

There were several games about killing justin bieber, I even played one of them

TAB

BBS Signature
beardkiller
beardkiller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:20:00 Reply

Xenomit,people have lost faith in the bbs but they refuse to leave because they want it to stay alive

Hi

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:21:56 Reply

Here asswipe and your bitching is irrelevant. If you wanna nostalgia trip go pull more crap from the internet time machine. But if you take off your rose colored glasses you'll discover that all the shit, which by the way is exactly what you're looking for, shit, is still on Newgrounds.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:22:04 Reply

At 9/5/12 01:20 AM, beardkiller wrote: Xenomit,people have lost faith in the bbs but they refuse to leave because they want it to stay alive

I have a neutral faith towards newgrounds in general, it isn't negative or positive. I'm just here.

I mean, if newgrounds would stop whoring out to those shitty ass dressup game companies that always pass no matter how many people blam it, then the quality would go up an increment

TAB

BBS Signature
timeslyr
timeslyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:22:23 Reply

I recall back then one of the first flashes next to Alien Hominid was something with President Bush back then. I still thought it was hilarious. Although we can't bring back the number of members we had back then, we can't live in the past. If I could I would take a time machine myself to go back to the 90's. How many stupid things I've done in my life, hell I've got a list and wouldn't mind fixing a ton of crap with some of my ex love relationships. It's tough to face the truth, but the way I see it it's how we move on that makes us better. Those years were meant to teach something and the website continues changing itself for the better. Otherwise this place would have been forgotten years ago (sticksuicide.com and many others I sure as hell miss that place.) This place has survived time and that's why it still remains to be newgrounds.

BBS Signature
jqzjqz
jqzjqz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:26:17 Reply

At 9/5/12 01:21 AM, sweet21 wrote: Here asswipe and your bitching is irrelevant. If you wanna nostalgia trip go pull more crap from the internet time machine. But if you take off your rose colored glasses you'll discover that all the shit, which by the way is exactly what you're looking for, shit, is still on Newgrounds.

I tried looking for Anti-Osama and it can't be found. It should've been uploaded in 2002. Can you find it for me please, asswipe?

jqzjqz
jqzjqz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:31:49 Reply

At 9/5/12 01:22 AM, timeslyr wrote: It's tough to face the truth, but the way I see it it's how we move on that makes us better. Those years were meant to teach something and the website continues changing itself for the better. Otherwise this place would have been forgotten years ago (sticksuicide.com and many others I sure as hell miss that place.) This place has survived time and that's why it still remains to be newgrounds.

I remember Alien Hominid and President Bush. I was proud of Newgrounds when Alien Hominid hit the consoles.
Shoot... Alien Hominid is not even on Newgrounds any more... -_-

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:37:45 Reply

At 9/5/12 01:31 AM, jqzjqz wrote: Alien Hominid is not even on Newgrounds any more...

Yes it is.

beardkiller
beardkiller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:40:51 Reply

At 9/5/12 01:37 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 9/5/12 01:31 AM, jqzjqz wrote: Alien Hominid is not even on Newgrounds any more...
Yes it is.

I agree with you completely yurgen

Hi

BBS Signature
Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 01:41:17 Reply

At 9/5/12 01:17 AM, jqzjqz wrote: It seems you got over it faster than I am. It kinda hurts to know that the old Newgrounds is gone. The frontpage right now is entirely different than the screenshot of Newgrounds in 2002. Just look at the content. How can you compare Anti-Osama and Rooftop Skateboarding to the more modern frontpage with more user-friendly content. I tell ya, if the old school people were still here... they would be making games about justin bieber... a violent game... That's something you can't take away from the old Newgrounds.

It's certainly no question that was the attitude of the old Newgrounds. However, keep in mind that Newgrounds was living off of 9/11. Users had a hate for Osama and expressed it artistically.

Another tragedy may occur and we users may rev up hate for it and once more express it. Still, if you want that attitude to come back, I do too, then you must be a light. Act as an example.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature