New Topic Respond to this Topic
CalamityCB
CalamityCB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Going beyond a video game Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:46 AM Reply

There have been numerous attempts to get video games into live action movies (e.g resi, streetfighter and mortal kombat) sometimes it can turn into a disaster or a success (rarely).
At the moment major video game franchises such as halo and metal gear are making a jump to the big screen,
Which video game franchise would you like to see on the big screen?

boop

desert116
desert116
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 06:56 AM Reply

I don't understand why people want movies based on video games. It's essentially the same thing, except you're a passive viewer, instead of an active participant.

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature
CalamityCB
CalamityCB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:12 AM Reply

At 9/3/12 06:56 AM, desert116 wrote: I don't understand why people want movies based on video games. It's essentially the same thing, except you're a passive viewer, instead of an active participant.

I guess some people (mostly active film watchers) prefer to be a passive viewer.

boop

Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:36 AM Reply

You could easily do a live movie adaptation of Metal Gear Solid, since it mostly just cut-scenes. No offense I love the MGS series.

"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:43 AM Reply

Metal Gear Solid and Assassin's Creed.

"I felt like an avenging angel, what I looked like was a fat bald guy with a bad temper." - Max Payne
Dean is a winner Also, stop whining for the chat and go check this out ▾▾

BBS Signature
urbn
urbn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Programmer
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:45 AM Reply

Apparently, Mass Effect is getting a film version at some point.

Though I think it will cause a lot of issues with what is and isn't canon.

BBS Signature
CalamityCB
CalamityCB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 07:47 AM Reply

At 9/3/12 07:43 AM, tonypar16 wrote: Metal Gear Solid and Assassin's Creed.

They are actually making them movies, I know they've just started working on a mgs movie and ubisoft is working on an assassins creed movie starring Michael Fassbender (i think).

boop

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:37 PM Reply

Halo could be a very good movie if it were done well and not just entirely focused on pure action. The problem is that too many video games are so action based that making an accurate movie ends up like Resident Evil.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 4th, 2012 @ 08:18 AM Reply

i would like to see fallout 3 or even legend of zelda or maybe even oblivion

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like.

BBS Signature
SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 4th, 2012 @ 08:47 AM Reply

At 9/3/12 07:47 AM, CalamityCB wrote:
At 9/3/12 07:43 AM, tonypar16 wrote: Metal Gear Solid and Assassin's Creed.
They are actually making them movies, I know they've just started working on a mgs movie and ubisoft is working on an assassins creed movie starring Michael Fassbender (i think).

I know.Ubisoft created a whole new wing,Ubisoft Motion Pictures,responsible for movie adaptation of their games.Splinter Cell,Assassin's Creed and Ghost Recon are already on the to-do list.I would also like to see the Splinter Cell movie.

"I felt like an avenging angel, what I looked like was a fat bald guy with a bad temper." - Max Payne
Dean is a winner Also, stop whining for the chat and go check this out ▾▾

BBS Signature
tahm10
tahm10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 4th, 2012 @ 06:46 PM Reply

Animated film for Dynamite Headdy.

Join the Magikarp Army.
Psn: Creepydentures , Mostly play fighting games(Mvc3, street fighter 3, JJBA)
3ds: 4382 - 2022 - 6462 - Simons

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 4th, 2012 @ 07:41 PM Reply

Generally a key problem with video game to movie adaptations is that they tend to gloss over a lot of the original source material and make it into a generic action film, sometimes it's actually explainable because of certain limitations by the studios that you don't have in video games, {Not including CGI} but I would say that 9 times out of 10, a movie adaptation of a video game is going to fail badly.

For example, take away the Resident Evil name from their movies, and you actually have a half-decent survival horror/action movie franchise, but because it has the RE name attached to it, the faithfulness of the story has instantly disappeared or at least heavily whitewashed. Personally, I'm a big believer in keeping the adaptations from the original material as faithful as possible, that way there wouldn't be as much confusion and possible disappointment if someone saw the movie first and then played the game afterwards.

About the only VG to movie adaptation that I know about which was relatively successful was the first Mortal Kombat movie. Apart from the fatalities being taken out obviously, much of it was pretty accurate to the source, {granted it was MK, which at the time didn't had much of a storyline in the game.} which is one of the reasons why it made over $100 million dollars in the box office back in '95, and still is a cult favorite today. Perhaps the rest of Hollywood could take lessons from that movie and apply it if they do make a VG-related movie, and not hire Uwe Boll as director.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
BleachFanatic12
BleachFanatic12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 4th, 2012 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 9/3/12 06:46 AM, CalamityCB wrote: There have been numerous attempts to get video games into live action movies (e.g resi, streetfighter and mortal kombat) sometimes it can turn into a disaster or a success (rarely).
At the moment major video game franchises such as halo and metal gear are making a jump to the big screen,

Simple, just take any JRPG, take out game play and you got yourself about 3 hours of usable footage from cut scenes alone.

The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning

Xbox Gamertag: AnyColorYouLike__Wii: 2865 2343 3618 8142_Steam: AnyColorYouLike_3DS Friend code: 0001 - 4379 - 0602

BBS Signature
LadyLuka
LadyLuka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Going beyond a video game Sep. 7th, 2012 @ 01:17 PM Reply

At 9/3/12 06:46 AM, CalamityCB wrote: There have been numerous attempts to get video games into live action movies (e.g resi, streetfighter and mortal kombat) sometimes it can turn into a disaster or a success (rarely).

I think Red Ninja: End Of Honor would make a nice Live-Action film.. if they do it right. I prefer games to stay as games though rather than turn into live-action... in fear they ruin it and I go into Hulk mode and beat the shit out of whomever made it.

12.31.12;<3

BBS Signature