New Topic Respond to this Topic
CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Cypress' Tutorials Thread 2012-09-02 03:16:09 Reply

Okay, so, I've decided that I want to start a series of text/picture (or video, if requested) based tutorials, but I want to get a few opinions first before I start writing long-winded paragraphs about shit nobody wants to read about:

1.) am I a good enough artist to make tutorials? I ask this because there are a million excellent artists on the internet who make tutorials for a living. If I gave you advice, would you think it was substantive/reliable? Would you trust my advice?

2.) what level of art should I make tutorials regarding? beginner? intermediate? advanced? what do you think would help the most? Broad subjects or something very specific like, say, the relationship between value and color?

3.) and, most importantly, where should I start? what topics would you like covered? what advice is most relevant and valuable to you?

Danul
Danul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Cypress' Tutorials Thread 2012-09-02 04:16:10 Reply

1.) am I a good enough artist to make tutorials?

I'd certainly say so. You're one of my favorites around the forums these days, and it's clear to me you know what you're doing.

2.) what level of art should I make tutorials regarding?

It seems logical to start with beginner stuff with broader topics then to progress toward more advanced stuff with more specific topics, but I'm assuming most people on here will at least have a grasp of the basics.

3.) and, most importantly, where should I start?

Personally, I think I'm an alright sketch artist, but have trouble with coloring in general. Anatomy is probably a good place to start, too.

Ludic
Ludic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Cypress' Tutorials Thread 2012-09-02 05:07:14 Reply

At 9/2/12 03:16 AM, CypressDahlia wrote:
1.) am I a good enough artist to make tutorials? I ask this because there are a million excellent artists on the internet who make tutorials for a living. If I gave you advice, would you think it was substantive/reliable? Would you trust my advice?

I think you're one of the best artists on these forums but I probably wouldn't trust your
tutorials when they concerned color & value or anatomy. If you were to make video processes simply for inspiration
or entertainment, i'd definitely give them a watch but I wouldn't want to be taught the fundamentals by you.
And please don't take any offense from what I said, you seem like a person who can take honest critique well.

I'm pretty sure that crosses over into the other questions as well.

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Cypress' Tutorials Thread 2012-09-02 05:22:34 Reply

Just your brush settings and how you blend, other than that it's just understanding basic workflow.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535 So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Cypress' Tutorials Thread 2012-09-02 05:37:19 Reply

At 9/2/12 03:16 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: 1.) am I a good enough artist to make tutorials? I ask this because there are a million excellent artists on the internet who make tutorials for a living. If I gave you advice, would you think it was substantive/reliable? Would you trust my advice?

Yeah. You're definitely a good artist. Yeah sure I'll trust you. Just this time okay? Haha. But in all seriousness, you're pretty decent.

2.) what level of art should I make tutorials regarding? beginner? intermediate? advanced? what do you think would help the most? Broad subjects or something very specific like, say, the relationship between value and color?

I would definitely want to learn dynamic poses from you. And also a bit of value. How to give a value sketch color anyway?

3.) and, most importantly, where should I start? what topics would you like covered? what advice is most relevant and valuable to you?

Definitely anatomy and value.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Cypress' Tutorials Thread 2012-09-02 05:43:42 Reply

I'd like to see how you sketch/plan things. Your poses are usually very dynamic.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Cypress' Tutorials Thread 2012-09-02 06:01:43 Reply

@ Ludic: No offense taken. There are plenty of artists who are professionals that make tutorials far better than I can. Hell people spend years learning from them just to master the fundamentals. I'm not as reliable as an actual art teacher.

@ Absinthe: I actually do all of my work in this really basic online applet called "sketcher", so any brush settings I share wouldn't really be relevant to people working in more popular programs like Sai and GIMP, etc, etc.

@ ImpendingRiot: if I made a video of planning things it would literally just be 5 minutes of me scribbling all over the place. I actually start with scribbling out the masses. Like really loose doodles of where things are and just go from there. But as far as poses go, yeah I can make a quickie about that.

@ 50 and Danul: seems like anatomy and value are the big ones. I'll see what other people have to say, though, before I make my first tutorial. Thanks for the input.

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Cypress' Tutorials Thread 2012-09-02 11:25:28 Reply

At 9/2/12 03:16 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: Okay, so, I've decided that I want to start a series of text/picture (or video, if requested) based tutorials, but I want to get a few opinions first before I start writing long-winded paragraphs about shit nobody wants to read about:

1.) am I a good enough artist to make tutorials?

I believe that you're not good compared to the higher skilled professional artists, but I believe I'll look at your tutorial if there was a particular trick up your sleeves.

I think I've seen plenty of beginner tutorials that can be easily linked somewhere in the internet. Maybe intermediate would work, and if there was anything beginner related, you could just type a side note or linked it to art 101 that already covers it.

I'm very curious on how you set up your composition and how you thought up poses and expression that fits well with your fan arts and original art. Plus asking yourself the question on "what did I do to my art that made so many people follow me?" could help with your tutorial.

BBS Signature