00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

mega-supreme's art thread

29,519 Views | 222 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-01 20:51:32

my old thread

here's the start of my new thread.
hopefully you'll see a bunch of new awesome stuff by me, and leave a ton of useful comments.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-02 00:22:34

At 9/1/12 08:51 PM, mega-supreme wrote: here's the start of my new thread.
hopefully you'll see a bunch of new awesome stuff by me, and leave a ton of useful comments.

Why are you making a new art thread? What was wrong with your old one?

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-02 09:11:54

Why are you making a new art thread? What was wrong with your old one?

i just think it's a bit dated, and on this one i can be more strict with myself to submit higher standard content.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-02 19:34:09

going to do something with this, not sure yet what that might be

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-02 19:50:59

I think it's best to stick to one thread. Then you can look back on your own thread and others can too to see how far you have come and evolved as an artist.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-02 20:06:11

At 9/2/12 07:50 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: I think it's best to stick to one thread. Then you can look back on your own thread and others can too to see how far you have come and evolved as an artist.

i prefer to think of it as cutting off dead weight, but that's just me.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-03 19:27:38

background practice

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-04 12:16:34

backgrounds are my weekness

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-04 12:18:22

At 9/2/12 08:06 PM, mega-supreme wrote:
At 9/2/12 07:50 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: I think it's best to stick to one thread. Then you can look back on your own thread and others can too to see how far you have come and evolved as an artist.
i prefer to think of it as cutting off dead weight, but that's just me.

That's fair enough :3
Btw love your art. And your backgrounds are waaay better than anything I could do.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-04 19:34:18

That's fair enough :3
Btw love your art. And your backgrounds are waaay better than anything I could do.

thank you and i'm going to do nothing other than backgrounds till i get it right.

here's more work into surfaces. i call it "stone in the sand" and those of you who care to look will notice the lens of truth symbol from zelda on the pebble.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-09 05:50:07

what about if u doing some collaboration?

BBS Signature

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-09 14:23:13

At 9/9/12 05:50 AM, nikolaipedrovakaNP wrote: what about if u doing some collaboration?

I've never completed a collaboration with any other people on newgrounds even though i offer to work completely free, it seems everyone I've attempted to work with can not seem to find a skilled programmer half way though the project.
though this has happened three times i'm still hoping to work on a game or animation, blah blah blah.... anything really.

(however if you mean a collaboration of characters and background, that's what i'm starting work on now)

the background is going to have more focus than fi, so i'm drawing it sort of separately from the character.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-11 16:30:02

progress report

sadly though progress with this thread and my shitty art work will come to a halt for a bit, due to school taking absolute priority.
damn that education giving me a future.
however i'm 100% going to finish this.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-23 08:17:28

before you guys say it, i'm aware of her faults and i'm already working on them.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-23 08:18:49

At 9/23/12 08:17 AM, mega-supreme wrote: before you guys say it, i'm aware of her faults and i'm already working on them.

fdhjdfjdf

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-23 15:55:03

At 9/1/12 08:51 PM, mega-supreme wrote: my old thread

here's the start of my new thread.

I really like your style of drawing, but I do wish you had kept everything in one thread because there some good work in your old art thread that people probably won't take a look at now.

While the digital painting technique that you use works well for some of the pieces you've done, in others the finished work feels like its lost the detail that made the original line art look good.

For example, the drawing of Gaia in your old art thread. In the original drawing, there are lots of little details like the folds of the robe and the texture of the hair, but once color was added these details disappeared and everything looked smudged or too smooth.

I think the solution to this problem is to let the lines in the original drawing stand out a bit more and not completely cover them up with color and blending. The way I've always looked at coloring is that it's more like you're painting an animation cell; you want to add color in a way that enhances the lines you've already drawn and you want to keep the character of those original lines.

Manga artists seem to have a good handle on this. If you look at Shunya Yamashita's art, for example, there's a painted style to a lot of what he does, but you've also got strong black lines which help preserve the "manga" look and details in the original drawing.

I think that for the type of style that you use, keeping those lines is perfectly acceptable. It's a manga and anime inspired style from what I can tell, so you're not going for realism because the style of art isn't realistic in a way that lends itself to painting. What you're trying to do is to render things in a way that looks convincing.

Hopefully that makes some sense. Keep drawing and keep posting.

BBS Signature

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-23 16:28:59

I really like your style of drawing, but I do wish you had kept everything in one thread because there some good work in your old art thread that people probably won't take a look at now.

i personally dislike my old thread, so it doesn't bother me so much if people don't see it.

While the digital painting technique that you use works well for some of the pieces you've done, in others the finished work feels like its lost the detail that made the original line art look good.
For example, the drawing of Gaia in your old art thread. In the original drawing, there are lots of little details like the folds of the robe and the texture of the hair, but once color was added these details disappeared and everything looked smudged or too smooth.

Gaia was a failed project, i lost interest in her so i couldn't be bothered to work out most of the problems you stated. but in my other painting wasteland travelers i think i manage to get past those problems. just a matter of experience i guess.

I think the solution to this problem is to let the lines in the original drawing stand out a bit more and not completely cover them up with color and blending. The way I've always looked at coloring is that it's more like you're painting an animation cell; you want to add color in a way that enhances the lines you've already drawn and you want to keep the character of those original lines.

i'd agree with that. i'll play with your idea and see what i come up with.

Manga artists seem to have a good handle on this. If you look at Shunya Yamashita's art, for example, there's a painted style to a lot of what he does, but you've also got strong black lines which help preserve the "manga" look and details in the original drawing.

i'll look him up, but jamie hewlett does what you've described wonderfully (you'd get a kick out of looking him up) he's my number two Favorite after Vonschlippe.

I think that for the type of style that you use, keeping those lines is perfectly acceptable. It's a manga and anime inspired style from what I can tell, so you're not going for realism because the style of art isn't realistic in a way that lends itself to painting. What you're trying to do is to render things in a way that looks convincing.

i hoping to move more into realism as i improve, manga is awesome but it gets a lot of hate from others and i don't want to feel limited. i'd like to be consider skillful and not just another person on NG some day.

Hopefully that makes some sense. Keep drawing and keep posting.

thanks for the detailed review, its given me a few neat ideas. i'll review something of yours when I've the time to show my appreciation.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-24 14:53:21

jdfjkfjf

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-25 20:00:49

At 9/23/12 04:28 PM, mega-supreme wrote:
i hoping to move more into realism as i improve, manga is awesome but it gets a lot of hate from others and i don't want to feel limited. i'd like to be consider skillful and not just another person on NG some day.

I hope I didn't come off as if I was knocking manga as a stylistic choice or the decision to use a less realistic style in general. I would say that my own style is very influenced by manga and anime (I use far more speedlines than most American artists would) as well as different American comic illustrators (Wally Wood being a big one) and I've never really felt limited in what I can draw. Of course, I've had people criticize my style as being an uncomfortable middleground between cartoonish and realistic on more than one occasion, so obviously other people feel differently.

I think in part it comes down to a philosophical argument about what you think you're supposed to be accomplishing with art. I get the sense that a lot of people think you're supposed to be accurately replicating reality with your art, and that if you can't produce realistic looking art then your art has no value.

For me personally, I've always felt that if you want a direct copy of what you're looking at then you can use a camera to take a picture. Art is more about symbolism and emotion; trying to capture a thought or a feeling; filtering reality through the lens of how the artist views it.

Obviously, you're going to develop whatever style makes you happy at the end of the day. But, in my own opinion at least, the limits of a certain style are the limits that you choose to impose upon it.

BBS Signature

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-30 12:25:04

I hope I didn't come off as if I was knocking manga as a stylistic choice or the decision to use a less realistic style in general. I would say that my own style is very influenced by manga and anime (I use far more speedlines than most American artists would) as well as different American comic illustrators (Wally Wood being a big one) and I've never really felt limited in what I can draw. Of course, I've had people criticize my style as being an uncomfortable middleground between cartoonish and realistic on more than one occasion, so obviously other people feel differently.

I think in part it comes down to a philosophical argument about what you think you're supposed to be accomplishing with art. I get the sense that a lot of people think you're supposed to be accurately replicating reality with your art, and that if you can't produce realistic looking art then your art has no value.

For me personally, I've always felt that if you want a direct copy of what you're looking at then you can use a camera to take a picture. Art is more about symbolism and emotion; trying to capture a thought or a feeling; filtering reality through the lens of how the artist views it.

Obviously, you're going to develop whatever style makes you happy at the end of the day. But, in my own opinion at least, the limits of a certain style are the limits that you choose to impose upon it.

realism offers a lot to any Technic within art, anyone can improve their own style by learning it in my opinion. Though i get what your saying about artistic value and cameras, i'm still hoping to obtain photographic realism one day .It's just an ultimate skill showing beauty in human ability and attention to details.
That said the concept behide the painting,photo,drawing or what ever else blah blah blah.... is the ultimate and it's something I've hardly touched on......... yet.
manga is really nice but i'd say it's like the junk food of art most times. not saying there isn't amazing manga art, in fact it's always been a massive influence on me and a bunch of other people and it will remain that way forever.

fact is, i have little knowledge on art because it can be tricky to understand. hope what i said make some form of sense.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-09-30 15:42:47

done

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-10-29 16:56:44

the design of tree-like people is everywhere so i though i'll have a go. i know this is in no way unique an idea, however it's all from scratch and i'm fairly happy with my effort.

also I've not been posting much on the newgrounds because of school, when i have time i'll post some of my art book's research.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-10-29 17:49:44

At 10/29/12 04:56 PM, mega-supreme wrote: also I've not been posting much on the newgrounds because of school, when i have time i'll post some of my art book's research.

Can't wait to see, looks like you been improving a good bit.

BBS Signature

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-11-01 17:04:03

party time, i'll start posting up my art book stuff soon. It's too big for a scanner so i'll have camera photos of them, i'll take them with as much natural light as possible so it shouldn't be too low quality.

Does anyone else know a few camera tricks to help me out, i'm a bad photographer.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-11-01 21:04:28

At 11/1/12 05:04 PM, mega-supreme wrote: party time, i'll start posting up my art book stuff soon. It's too big for a scanner so i'll have camera photos of them, i'll take them with as much natural light as possible so it shouldn't be too low quality.

Does anyone else know a few camera tricks to help me out, i'm a bad photographer.

thats some buldge!

If i make a photo of a picture I use a ´solar light´ thingy, a lamp that people use in the winter to get enough light (like 1m2 large, its also diffused light), but I think its better to just do it outside during the day

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-11-12 12:59:24

i designed him to hold my pencils and stuff.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-11-12 20:53:54

At 11/12/12 12:59 PM, mega-supreme wrote: i designed him to hold my pencils and stuff.

haha awesome man! im digging that tree person design as well, is that finished or you plan to do something else with it.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-11-13 10:50:59

At 11/12/12 08:53 PM, Ramatsu wrote:
At 11/12/12 12:59 PM, mega-supreme wrote: i designed him to hold my pencils and stuff.
haha awesome man! im digging that tree person design as well, is that finished or you plan to do something else with it.

he's only practice for something bigger, so i'm done with him for now,

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-11-16 18:15:59

i haven't so much as touched a drawing pad in weeks.

here's something i made to get me back in the tune of things.

Response to mega-supreme's art thread 2012-11-16 18:28:06

alternatively here's something I've been looking into recently.