Be a Supporter!

My Art Thread Re-do

  • 27,341 Views
  • 380 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 09:17:14 Reply

the figure looks a quite stiff and the body parts look a lot like puppet joints, I'd really suggest more life drawing as well as placing your figures on a 3/4 angle

I know that. This is only a design for the character. Also, can we please drop the whole "draw from life" crap? I know, and I get it. I know you're trying to help, but I only wanted critique on the DESIGN. Critique the ART. Not the way I draw. Point out flaws in the ART itself.


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 09:32:23 Reply

REDESIGN!!! Sorry for the low quality, though. I had to save it under minimal settings. This design, to me, looks a lot better. I have gotten rid of the stiffness, and did away with the high-heels, instead making a heel that's only an inch high. I also moved the tattoo onto her abdomen, and I will be drawing the back view next (hopefully without screwing up this time).

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 09:41:05 Reply

Keep in mind, I only want critique for whatever art I post here. Nothing more. Just the art, nothing else.


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Ludic
Ludic
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 10:35:49 Reply

Can't guarantee this to be 100% correct but yeah, it's definitely more correct now.

Keep workin' hard

My Art Thread Re-do

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 11:37:20 Reply

At 9/7/12 10:35 AM, Ludic wrote: Can't guarantee this to be 100% correct but yeah, it's definitely more correct now.

Keep workin' hard

Thank you! Anyways, I will get started on the back views and such, later, because this cold I have is just really taking it out of me...So yeah...


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 12:07:07 Reply

I can also design HUDs.

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 12:12:07 Reply

I can also design logos!

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Lucky
Lucky
  • Member since: Nov. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Animator
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 16:36:46 Reply

I know that. This is only a design for the character. Also, can we please drop the whole "draw from life" crap? I know, and I get it. I know you're trying to help, but I only wanted critique on the DESIGN. Critique the ART. Not the way I draw. Point out flaws in the ART itself.

...WHAT???

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 18:54:06 Reply

At 9/7/12 04:36 PM, Lucky wrote:
I know that. This is only a design for the character. Also, can we please drop the whole "draw from life" crap? I know, and I get it. I know you're trying to help, but I only wanted critique on the DESIGN. Critique the ART. Not the way I draw. Point out flaws in the ART itself.
...WHAT???

Well, I am just saying, no need to bring up that tired old phrase.


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-11 00:53:30 Reply

Wow...No one has decided to comment at all...Well, time to revitalize my efforts!


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-11 00:56:52 Reply

This is really old...

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-11 00:59:46 Reply

A TCG format card.

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-13 16:00:22 Reply

An HUD design. I would appreciate critique on my overall designs if possible. That would be very helpful!

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-13 16:06:15 Reply

At 9/13/12 04:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: An HUD design. I would appreciate critique on my overall designs if possible. That would be very helpful!

Looks pretty cool. Though theres alot of meters and features I think. Thats not necessarily bad but its quite a bit to learn. So just be careful with that. Little embelishments like the little cut on what looks like the player portraits become extra confusing especially if they serve no function other than visual.


None

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-13 16:32:36 Reply

At 9/13/12 04:06 PM, Luis wrote:
At 9/13/12 04:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: An HUD design. I would appreciate critique on my overall designs if possible. That would be very helpful!
Looks pretty cool. Though theres alot of meters and features I think. Thats not necessarily bad but its quite a bit to learn. So just be careful with that. Little embelishments like the little cut on what looks like the player portraits become extra confusing especially if they serve no function other than visual.

I'll keep it mind, but considering that other fighting games like Skullgirls do this, yet have no problems visually, is reason enough to keep those embellishments. But I respect your opinion and appreciate your feedback. It's always nice to see others' points of view. :)


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Mownkey
Mownkey
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-15 08:36:55 Reply

At 9/11/12 12:56 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: This is really old...

Looks okay, but the tail is needlessly added, and it stings the eyes. I would recommend to remove or reposition the tail.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-15 10:04:32 Reply

At 9/15/12 08:36 AM, Mownkey wrote:
At 9/11/12 12:56 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: This is really old...
Looks okay, but the tail is needlessly added, and it stings the eyes. I would recommend to remove or reposition the tail.

Yeah, I'll do some redesigns of this character later on.


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
TheLulzyArtist
TheLulzyArtist
  • Member since: May. 17, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 00:27:49 Reply

At 9/7/12 09:41 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: Keep in mind, I only want critique for whatever art I post here. Nothing more. Just the art, nothing else.

The best critique I can give you is to try realism and draw from life so that you can learn the way things like clothing,shading, lighting, proportions, perspectives and everything else work within a composition. I've been reading some of your replies to people and you don't even know what design is. Design incorporates everything, that is why people are telling you to go out of your comfort zone and do different things. Because of you lack of understanding of what design really is, people get angry when you ask for help in design and blow off the help that is accurate to its true meaning instead of what you think design is.

Your definition of design is probably "how a character looks", if that is what you are thinking, then why are fighting criticism? What do you think goes into how a character looks? EVERYTHING! And you know how you can get better at everything? By drawing from life, and do you know why? BECAUSE REAL LIFE HAS EVERY ELEMENT USED IN ART WITHIN IT! You just don't know how lucky you are to have so many people helping you. And yes I'm ignoring what Becky said about you because I detected your lack of understanding of what design really is. I just hope Becky is wrong and I didn't waste my time trying to help you but if I can save just one fellow artist from becoming a TomPreston or TheForgivenArtist, that will make my day.

Hopefully this website will help you understand what design is.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/files/elements2.htm

If you don't accept criticism this will be your fate. http://theforgivenartist.deviantart.com/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT4h86Ns1Cs

I'll show you what criticism can do for those who accept it, this is what happened after I received a critique from jagondudo.

*Also note that I was going out of my comfort zone as well because I'm used to working with colors opposed to only grays, and by accepting criticism I was able to see that I need more practice is my areas of weakness.*

Criticism is an artist's most valuable resource, don't waste it.

My Art Thread Re-do


"In Lulz We Trust"

BBS Signature
BeckyRawr
BeckyRawr
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 00:54:51 Reply

^^^^^^ Best advice you will ever get

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 15:34:35 Reply

I'll show you what criticism can do for those who accept it, this is what happened after I received a critique from jagondudo.

*Also note that I was going out of my comfort zone as well because I'm used to working with colors opposed to only grays, and by accepting criticism I was able to see that I need more practice is my areas of weakness.*

Criticism is an artist's most valuable resource, don't waste it.

I really hate reading, but I will definitely check out the website. If there's anything that involves LESS reading you could find me, I would be more than happy to "gobble it up", so to speak. But yes, I see your point, and I have been going out of my way to make more competent design choices as of late. And yes, I will try and step out of my comfort zone a lot more often, such is the case with my dynamic pose practice, and trying real life fashions onto my characters. I just want everyone to know that I have been working my ass off on trying to improve, and that I will post more pictures as evidence of such.

But the only complaint I have is the amount of READING I would have to do, and that bothers me, since I am more of a "visual learner" so to speak. Why do you think I have been getting better? Because I read about it? NO! Because I use visual references and practice gesture drawings, that's why. But, it's always good to see varying perspectives on this matter of my art, even if I am not always the most agreeable person on the block.

Also, let me know what you think of this. This is basically my VERY FIRST photo manipulation EVER.

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 16:02:19 Reply

Because...Shapes are fun? This is one of my perspective sketches. I tried a simple bird's eye view, and tried different shaped buildings. But...Is it really Bird's Eye View? Or is it...SOMETHING ELSE?!! *cues UFO music*

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 16:07:06 Reply

Dat ass...

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Ludic
Ludic
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 16:09:27 Reply

At 9/16/12 04:02 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Because...Shapes are fun? This is one of my perspective sketches. I tried a simple bird's eye view, and tried different shaped buildings. But...Is it really Bird's Eye View? Or is it...SOMETHING ELSE?!! *cues UFO music*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rAa-OXkmyE Here's a vid that might be helpful if you wanna do more stuff like that, yo.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 16:18:48 Reply

Because...Shapes are fun? This is one of my perspective sketches. I tried a simple bird's eye view, and tried different shaped buildings. But...Is it really Bird's Eye View? Or is it...SOMETHING ELSE?!! *cues UFO music*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rAa-OXkmyE Here's a vid that might be helpful if you wanna do more stuff like that, yo.

Thanks for the video! I'll be sure to check it out!


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 16:36:52 Reply

First dynamic pose
(wielding an axe, battlecry)

- Will be inked and colored with basic cel-shading to demonstrate practice of lighting

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
TheLulzyArtist
TheLulzyArtist
  • Member since: May. 17, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 17:54:47 Reply

At 9/16/12 03:34 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
I'll show you what criticism can do for those who accept it, this is what happened after I received a critique from jagondudo.

*Also note that I was going out of my comfort zone as well because I'm used to working with colors opposed to only grays, and by accepting criticism I was able to see that I need more practice is my areas of weakness.*

Criticism is an artist's most valuable resource, don't waste it.
I really hate reading, but I will definitely check out the website. If there's anything that involves LESS reading you could find me, I would be more than happy to "gobble it up", so to speak. But yes, I see your point, and I have been going out of my way to make more competent design choices as of late. And yes, I will try and step out of my comfort zone a lot more often, such is the case with my dynamic pose practice, and trying real life fashions onto my characters. I just want everyone to know that I have been working my ass off on trying to improve, and that I will post more pictures as evidence of such.

But the only complaint I have is the amount of READING I would have to do, and that bothers me, since I am more of a "visual learner" so to speak. Why do you think I have been getting better? Because I read about it? NO! Because I use visual references and practice gesture drawings, that's why. But, it's always good to see varying perspectives on this matter of my art, even if I am not always the most agreeable person on the block.

Also, let me know what you think of this. This is basically my VERY FIRST photo manipulation EVER.

Did you really just blow off the best advice anyone has ever given too you? I told you that you have a lack of understanding, that is why you must read. You say you hate reading yet over 70% of the Internet communicates through text as a medium, does this mean you hate the Internet? You're talking about being a "visual learner", oh... is that the case? Because many before me told you to DRAW FROM LIFE/OBSERVATION , that is as visual as one can get. I looked at your art and you are NOT getting better despite what you think, you constantly repeat the same errors and one of them being not accepting criticism. You are 21 according to your profile, it's funny because I thought you were 14-15 this whole time. The only thing I can conclude from this is that you have some sort of mental issue. Don't even try to take that the wrong way, I said issue not disability. I even had to explain just now to you that you were not being insulted because you like to play the victim. A mental issue could be anything from having writer's block to being stressed or depressed. Since I got rid of the subtext in my reply to you because it appears to me that you cannot comprehend subtext. Now you can't cry about being insulted because you are not being insulted.

That being said I'm telling you, not asking, but TELLING you to accept criticism . Actually do what people say like draw a portrait of something from a photo. Also I know you will probably respond to this like a child and say something like "Well if you're gonna try and make me do it, I wont."

A parent(everyone trying to help you) is trying to make a disobedient child(you) eat their vegetables(criticism). The kid kicks and screams "I want candy(I wanna do things my way despite asking for help several times)". The parent(moderator) needs to pop the kid with their belt and send them to time out(banned from the forums). But for some reason the parent(moderators) are allowing the child to throw a temper tantrum and make a mess on the table(forums).

Seriously, you think you and your art is immune to criticism and you want the maximum amount of praise for the least amount of effort. I bet that Alex Ahad had to learn other things before he could make art for Skull Girls, he didn't just randomly wake up one day and start drawing them.

You also asked me what I think about your photo manipulation, it looks like a bunch of no skill photoshop filters and the smudge tool abused the eyes and mouth then you took the brush tool and just scribbled blood on the face as if you didn't completely mess that up because blood is MUCH darker than what you put on the face. On a scale of one to ten, I'll give it a two only because it made me laugh a little due to the fact that it looks derpy rather than horror.

Also other artist out there... BECKY WAS RIGHT! Don't waste your time here.

I quickly painted everyone's reaction from reading your replies.

My Art Thread Re-do


"In Lulz We Trust"

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 18:57:56 Reply

I didn't blow you off though. I just said that I wanted something with less reading, and I even thanked you for your feedback. You're the one being an asshole here, not me. Like I said, I am a visual learner. I learn by someone demonstrating something to me, and I learn by imitating what's being taught to me. Sorry if that's how I learn, and I am SO SORRY for being human. No, I did not blow you off, and yes, I will take your advice. The only problem I had was the reading part. So sorry I hate reading, asshole.


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Artist
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 19:09:23 Reply

I'm actually proud you decided to do something with a little bit more action, however I'm equally disappointed you still disrespect others by only listening to the insulting parts. Regardless please shrink your heads and give a little more meat on them bones

My Art Thread Re-do


3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 19:16:41 Reply

At 9/16/12 07:09 PM, Absinthe wrote: I'm actually proud you decided to do something with a little bit more action, however I'm equally disappointed you still disrespect others by only listening to the insulting parts. Regardless please shrink your heads and give a little more meat on them bones

When I am doing realism, I will (and I only do realism when I practice), but again, as always, thank you for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you again (see, I am being 100% reasonable, right). It's always nice to hear differing opinions, and I sincerely hope you don't take this the wrong way.

I think I will post some realism sketches sometime later this week. In the meantime, take a look at this basilisk I drew, and as always, let me know what you think.

My Art Thread Re-do


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Member since: May. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-16 19:27:12 Reply

At 9/16/12 04:09 PM, Ludic wrote:
At 9/16/12 04:02 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Because...Shapes are fun? This is one of my perspective sketches. I tried a simple bird's eye view, and tried different shaped buildings. But...Is it really Bird's Eye View? Or is it...SOMETHING ELSE?!! *cues UFO music*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rAa-OXkmyE Here's a vid that might be helpful if you wanna do more stuff like that, yo.

I just found out that this person's channel has a lot more videos like this one, so I think I should probably subscribe to them. Anyways, thanks for letting me know about this!


SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature