00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Art Thread Re-do

42,288 Views | 359 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 13:21:09

Because Tony-DarkGrave decided to link to unclean material, I shalt restart my thread. I had it removed because of that jerk-off. Anyways, here are my designs for Nautilus, a character as you already know I have been working on for the last week.

My Art Thread Re-do

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 13:26:20

Front View

My Art Thread Re-do

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 13:27:35

Dat ass...

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 13:30:33

Dat Hoodie...For another character. This was literally my first design for her. Haven't gone back to her design since.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 14:00:02

Yes...The bat is alive. Deal with it.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 14:50:34

When will you finally decide to drop the anime?

No offense, but it's not exactly going to get your noticed nor very fresh and new.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 15:12:49

At 8/31/12 02:50 PM, test-object wrote: When will you finally decide to drop the anime?

No offense, but it's not exactly going to get your noticed nor very fresh and new.

I am working on a mixed art style right now.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 17:37:11

At 8/31/12 04:30 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote:
No, you're stubbornly sticking to a flawed system of anatomy with no real desire to improve....
In one damn thread.

Amen, I wish he would do at least ONE PORTRAIT drawing to be different. I don't even care if it looks like crap, just something different.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 17:54:37

Amen, I wish he would do at least ONE PORTRAIT drawing to be different. I don't even care if it looks like crap, just something different.

I might, but right now, I am designing a character.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 17:59:47

Making a new thread is not going to make your art look better and it's not going to make you seem more mature. I'd tell you to stick to one thread but I know it's going to go right over your head, so instead, I'll just wait until you inevitably violate the rules again and hopefully get banned. Honestly, I felt bad that people bullied you before. Bullying isn't cool. But just because a few users have been dicks to you doesn't change the fact that you yourself are behaving in an unsavory, unproductive, and frankly, detrimental fashion.

Well, excuse me, my good sir. I will tell you that I happen to be a very productive individual, and that I am working hard to improve. And yes, those people were dicks. I feel that by studying poses and learning how to draw using skeletal structure (the wiring of the figure), and practicing every now and then is good for me, and I do agree that sticking to one style can only be detrimental. Which is why I am branching out into cartoons as well.

I have actually come up with a way to help me improve on my own. You know those 30 second drawing drills? When I am looking at a pose, I simply take that figure and take the pose and stylize it, but still keeping the pose exactly how I see it. That way, I can practice my art style, and learn how the body is supposed to look. However, I find realism boring and tedious, so why not make it more fun and interesting by putting my own spin on it (waiting for unnecessary backlash)?

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 18:00:48

At 8/31/12 05:54 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
I might, but right now, I am designing a character.

It takes two seconds..I'm giving this to you for a last resort to preserve some dignity...Just do a quick thumbnail sketch or ANYTHING ELSE.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 18:03:45

It takes two seconds..I'm giving this to you for a last resort to preserve some dignity...Just do a quick thumbnail sketch or ANYTHING ELSE.

Well, sure...I guess so...I could do it AFTER I am done with my project. I know I should follow your advice and do what you want me to, but I really, really want to finish this character I am drawing.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 18:41:24

Definitely action portrait worthy material, if I say so myself...However, this is only ONE of many portraits I plan to draw of Nautilus. I am going to draw her in various poses before I settle down with a final project. I really, REALLY like the costume in this one, though, so I'll keep it.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 18:45:17

At 8/31/12 06:41 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Definitely action portrait worthy material, if I say so myself...However, this is only ONE of many portraits I plan to draw of Nautilus. I am going to draw her in various poses before I settle down with a final project. I really, REALLY like the costume in this one, though, so I'll keep it.

This is a portrait shot, it's YOUR FACE.

Make it REALISTIC. I'm done posting; I'll see you later, I have to do something, don't get banned this time.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 18:45:39

The feet seem far too small. And her head is huge.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 18:47:23

Ment to say her arms are too small as well. Forgot the head part.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 19:06:07

At 8/31/12 06:45 PM, Absinthe wrote: This is a portrait shot, it's YOUR FACE.

not really, not strictly

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 19:25:28

At 8/31/12 07:06 PM, J-qb wrote:
At 8/31/12 06:45 PM, Absinthe wrote: This is a portrait shot, it's YOUR FACE.
not really, not strictly

If he's gonna be a douche and force me to do it, I won't. Plain and simple.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 19:27:00

At 8/31/12 06:45 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: The feet seem far too small. And her head is huge.

With all due respect, I am going to have to disagree with you, because this is a stylized piece. I am going for a more exaggerated style, which may seem to you, as if the head were too big.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 19:47:17

At 8/31/12 07:27 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 8/31/12 06:45 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: The feet seem far too small. And her head is huge.
With all due respect, I am going to have to disagree with you, because this is a stylized piece. I am going for a more exaggerated style, which may seem to you, as if the head were too big.

As I said in a later response, disregard the comment about the head.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 19:59:39

As I said in a later response, disregard the comment about the head.

Oh...Okay then. Carry on!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 20:03:27

Also I really don't think Absinthe is being a 'douche' He's really trying to help, You have made a lot of new threads and there is a chance you could get banned if nothing 'new' is added. He's been a big help in my opinion and even found a nice simple to sketch portrait for you. So don't be quick to judge. Not everyone is out to insult you :3 We really just want to help.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 23:01:57

At 8/31/12 08:03 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: Also I really don't think Absinthe is being a 'douche' He's really trying to help, You have made a lot of new threads and there is a chance you could get banned if nothing 'new' is added. He's been a big help in my opinion and even found a nice simple to sketch portrait for you. So don't be quick to judge. Not everyone is out to insult you :3 We really just want to help.

Fine. I'll sketch it LATER then. In the meantime, I really want to work on my character.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-08-31 23:17:03

Also saying it's a 'style' it seems very ignorant, ignorance in my opinion is one of the biggest flaws an artist can have. Also you are oblivious to the help we 'artists' are giving you.

Just try to show people respect, i actually like your art, but your personality is not coming out very nice at all.
Take other peoples criticism into account. It WILL help you.
And NEVER think you are better than anyone. It is just egoistical. And it's an ugly trait.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-01 03:48:03

I think you should get a base of knowledge by doing realism,
it's the 100% safe way to get good anatomy and structure in your work.
Study lightning, anatomy and such without stylizing it.

Also, you are aware that you don't HAVE to post here right?
Not saying this to be a jerk or anything, but it only seems to
be annoying you and other people and that just can't be good for you.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-01 04:43:23

At 8/31/12 05:59 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I happen to be a very productive individual

How so? How is that working out for you?

I am working hard to improve.

Again, how?

I feel that by studying poses and learning how to draw using skeletal structure (the wiring of the figure)

"Stylising" it when you can't even do it normally isn't helping anyone in this situation.

practicing every now and then is good for me, and I do agree that sticking to one style can only be detrimental. Which is why I am branching out into cartoons as well.

You've been doing cartoons the whole time! All you do is cartoons! Hell I'm not great but at least I do an observational sketch every now and then to try to widen my talents, and I know I need to do more of them.

I have actually come up with a way to help me improve on my own. You know those 30 second drawing drills? When I am looking at a pose, I simply take that figure and take the pose and stylize it, but still keeping the pose exactly how I see it.

That is not a good way to improve at all, because you're "stylising" it. Your version of "stylising" something is just drawing it poorly. Riot was right - don't worry about style yet, worry about not being bad at drawing. Once you've established the ability to draw things in a normal/somewhat realistic fashion, you'll find cartooning to be much easier

That way, I can practice my art style, and learn how the body is supposed to look.

It's not working.

However, I find realism boring and tedious

Get over it.

so why not make it more fun and interesting by putting my own spin on it

By making it fun and interesting, you're keeping your art boring and mediocre.

(waiting for unnecessary backlash)?

It's not unnecessary.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-01 07:47:04

At 9/1/12 04:43 AM, Spags wrote:
At 8/31/12 05:59 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I happen to be a very productive individual
How so? How is that working out for you?
I am working hard to improve.
Again, how?
I feel that by studying poses and learning how to draw using skeletal structure (the wiring of the figure)
"Stylising" it when you can't even do it normally isn't helping anyone in this situation.
practicing every now and then is good for me, and I do agree that sticking to one style can only be detrimental. Which is why I am branching out into cartoons as well.
You've been doing cartoons the whole time! All you do is cartoons! Hell I'm not great but at least I do an observational sketch every now and then to try to widen my talents, and I know I need to do more of them.
I have actually come up with a way to help me improve on my own. You know those 30 second drawing drills? When I am looking at a pose, I simply take that figure and take the pose and stylize it, but still keeping the pose exactly how I see it.
That is not a good way to improve at all, because you're "stylising" it. Your version of "stylising" something is just drawing it poorly. Riot was right - don't worry about style yet, worry about not being bad at drawing. Once you've established the ability to draw things in a normal/somewhat realistic fashion, you'll find cartooning to be much easier
That way, I can practice my art style, and learn how the body is supposed to look.
It's not working.
However, I find realism boring and tedious
Get over it.
so why not make it more fun and interesting by putting my own spin on it
By making it fun and interesting, you're keeping your art boring and mediocre.
(waiting for unnecessary backlash)?
It's not unnecessary.

I understand all of this, but am I going to do realism? Not any time soon. Well, at least not when it comes to the art portal. I'll keep my studies to myself, thanks, and if I want to show you, I'll show you, but in the mean time, I study in private. Personally, I do not view my art is boring and mediocre. That comment was unnecessary. I am working very hard on this character. Have you not noticed how much I have planned out my designs? You have to give me credit where credit is due, you know. I have been working my ass off on this character, planning her design out and fleshing out her design.

I MIGHT just do a realistic sketch of her AFTER I am done with the piece, though. It's only going to be a bust portrait, though. Don't expect any full-figure realism sketches. I would do realism, but only with my own characters, and only after I have drawn them enough that I am familiar with them.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-01 08:43:26

At 8/31/12 03:12 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I am working on a mixed art style right now.

Good to hear.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-01 12:36:28

At 9/1/12 08:43 AM, test-object wrote:
At 8/31/12 03:12 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I am working on a mixed art style right now.
Good to hear.

You see how mixed my new style is, right?

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-01 12:42:10

You see how mixed my new style is, right?
Not really.

You mean you're blind to the super-exaggerated proportions? You know, that whole thing cartoons do?

BBS Signature