New Topic Respond to this Topic
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
A new writing contest/event? Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 07:03 AM Reply

So after receiving the NG Anthology and reading a few stories, I realized I'd forgotten just how beautiful the craft of writing is. So I decided I wanted to write again. So how about a new writing contest?

It doesn't have to be a contest in the sense that it has prizes, but I liked how last time everyone gave a short review of every other entry so everyone entering would get feedback on their entries, and you'd give back by reviewing other people's entries.

This way we could make more numerous writing contests without bothering Tom about prizes and whatnot.

I was also thinking, with game jams being super fun, and with Newgrounds pioneering movie jams (as far as I know) and even comic jams, what about writing jams? A theme would be announced and writers have 72 hours to produce something.

SO, I would have set up a contest/event thread thing, but I'm not really sure what a good theme would be. \\

Sooo, theme suggestions, GO!

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to A new writing contest/event? Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 07:35 AM Reply

At 8/31/12 07:03 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: So after receiving the NG Anthology and reading a few stories, I realized I'd forgotten just how beautiful the craft of writing is. So I decided I wanted to write again. So how about a new writing contest?

Holding a contest is one thing, but how should people submit their entries? By replying to the thread?

starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to A new writing contest/event? Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 10:33 AM Reply

At 8/31/12 07:35 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 8/31/12 07:03 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: So after receiving the NG Anthology and reading a few stories, I realized I'd forgotten just how beautiful the craft of writing is. So I decided I wanted to write again. So how about a new writing contest?
Holding a contest is one thing, but how should people submit their entries? By replying to the thread?

That's how it usually works. You create a thread for discussing the contest and rules, and then create a separate thread for entries only.

So... themes huh? Let me think on it, and I'll get back to you. Nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to A new writing contest/event? Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 09:56 PM Reply

How about a lipogram? A lipogram is a text where you aren't allowed to use a certain letter (or more than one letter). This will introduce an extra challenge but it will be fun.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 1st, 2012 @ 09:36 AM Reply

I took part in a 'Battle Royale' a few years ago in the NG Mafia club, which would be an interesting idea to bring back.

In short each entrant designs a character (i.e. writes a short bio detailing look, character and abilities). Writers are then paired in a tournament where each must write a story where their character battles against their opponent, with only one surviving. Each battle produces one winner (decided by judging panel or vote) who will then go on to write in the next round until only one remains.

Beyond that anything goes, and the range of characters made for some really interesting stories. The concept lives and falls on the quality of characters and creating something unique, but provides a lot of inspiration and is well suited to a predominantly teen site like this one. I recall I turned my character into a mini series as he progressed through to the semi finals, with each story following on from the last.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 1st, 2012 @ 09:23 PM Reply

battle royal sounds cool, maybe start small and work up bigger
as for contests i like MWC back, even without direct pricesupport from NG perhaps some sort of communiy support?

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 5th, 2012 @ 04:30 AM Reply

From Sept. 13th to Dec. 21st I'm going to be doing the Fuck Mayans Challenge. It's something I created whereby an individual must complete a challenge before the world ends. My challenge, of course, is to write my first manuscript. Would be great having other writers join in.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 5th, 2012 @ 11:28 PM Reply

At 9/1/12 09:36 AM, Sentio wrote: I took part in a 'Battle Royale' a few years ago in the NG Mafia club, which would be an interesting idea to bring back.

Sounds interestin', but I think 4 is right in pursuiing a Jam. A Jam is more of a competition than a tournament. That is, everyone is competing for first place, but the competition isn't serial in anyway. I think it is important for the Writing Jam to be as congruent to the other Jams as possible, so in retrospect, a lipogram isn't a good idea for a Jam since a Jam is mostly focused around a thematic idea (not really a "theme" I suppose).

At 9/5/12 04:30 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: From Sept. 13th to Dec. 21st I'm going to be doing the Fuck Mayans Challenge. It's something I created whereby an individual must complete a challenge before the world ends. My challenge, of course, is to write my first manuscript. Would be great having other writers join in.

Knowing myself, I'd probably start the day after. I made this face when posting this comment:

:3

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 03:08 PM Reply

I'm really leaning towards trying out a writing jam. It would really be cool to try out. I guess we just need a theme and a date. How does around the end of this month sound? It would be a 72 hour event where a theme is announced and you rapidly try to crank out a story. We could even hang out in the NG chatroom throughout to discuss, critique and/or encourage each other.

starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 9th, 2012 @ 09:57 PM Reply

At 9/9/12 03:08 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: I'm really leaning towards trying out a writing jam. It would really be cool to try out. I guess we just need a theme and a date. How does around the end of this month sound? It would be a 72 hour event where a theme is announced and you rapidly try to crank out a story. We could even hang out in the NG chatroom throughout to discuss, critique and/or encourage each other.

That sounds pretty cool to me. I like the short term-ness of the contest and it'd be sweet to see what people come up with in that short amount of time. It'd also be helpful for me, cuz I tend to drag writing out to extreme lengths.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:44 AM Reply

I'm starting to lean back towards a full month contest instead of a 72 hour one. I think the problem with the latter is that a lot of people may miss it, and there's already a lack of activity in the forum anyway. So at least a month will give people enough time to participate.

Labraxadores
Labraxadores
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 01:21 PM Reply

Damn guys,I'd surely join this.

I would probably submit shit in a basket of pee,but hell,it will be fun.

Some may never live, but the crazy never die.
- Hunter S. Thompson

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 24th, 2012 @ 06:34 PM Reply

At 9/23/12 09:44 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: I'm starting to lean back towards a full month contest instead of a 72 hour one. I think the problem with the latter is that a lot of people may miss it, and there's already a lack of activity in the forum anyway. So at least a month will give people enough time to participate.

I'd recommend starting out with a jam first just to test the waters. See who's excited for that and then once you get the support, suggest the idea of a bigger contest. That seems like the most reasonable thing to do considering big projects can flop really easily no matter how big the support is for one, which is kind of what I notice in the Art or Collab forums sometimes.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 26th, 2012 @ 11:16 PM Reply

The end of the month is coming up. Let's start this for realsies! I was hoping that the contest (correction: jam) could start Friday at 9 pm PST (12 pm Eastern time), and, would conclude Monday at 9 pm (12 pm). I know I've said that I would pay $10 to the winner twice before (in all fairness: the first time everyone quit; the second time I felt uncomfortable giving 10 bucks to any of the people who participated; mostly because they were all judges -___-). However, count me in for the 10 dollars award to 1st place (paypal).

If you need judges count me in as well. Also, I would like to do a jam, so count me in for an entry as well, as well.

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to A new writing contest/event? Sep. 27th, 2012 @ 09:29 AM Reply

At 9/26/12 11:16 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: If you need judges count me in as well. Also, I would like to do a jam, so count me in for an entry as well, as well.

I'll definitely post a contest thread and a theme around the 1st of October.

We've also got Ekublai on board with judging!

See I'm still leaning towards a regular one month contest because:

At 9/24/12 06:34 PM, EJR wrote: I'd recommend starting out with a jam first just to test the waters. See who's excited for that and then once you get the support, suggest the idea of a bigger contest. That seems like the most reasonable thing to do considering big projects can flop really easily no matter how big the support is for one, which is kind of what I notice in the Art or Collab forums sometimes.

See I think it's the opposite when it's a contest with a deadline. Because for a collab, you need a certain amount of people, otherwise the project fails. But for a contest, the longer we keep it open the higher the chance of more people coming across the contest and entering

And especially cuz if it were a jam I probably won't be able to enter because this month is really tight with college admissions and examinations.