Be a Supporter!
BB-7
BB-7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Reason Aug. 30th, 2012 @ 06:37 PM Reply

I'm considering purchasing this very expensive DAW known as Reason.

Thoughts, and how good is it?

Reason

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Reason Aug. 30th, 2012 @ 06:40 PM Reply

No need to ask the internet, a demo version (with saving!) is free and easily available. http://www.propellerheads.se/download/

qbitdubs
qbitdubs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Reason Aug. 30th, 2012 @ 06:50 PM Reply

Reason has some fantastic features: ReDrum is still my drum machine of choice, Maelstrom one of my most-used synths, and the novel 'patchbay' setup leads to some crazy signal paths that you couldn't come up with in other DAWs.
However, it is weak if you want to use audio, and the lack of VST instrument support is a massive, stonking curler of a deal breaker for me. The tools provided aren't 'clinical' enough. No frequency analyzer, no graphic EQ, no high pass filter, you get the jist. I say spend your hard earned moneys on a more conventional, comprehensive workstation, and get Reason at a later date, and, rather than using it standalone, ReWire it into another program and use it like a set of plugins.

BB-7
BB-7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Reason Aug. 30th, 2012 @ 07:05 PM Reply

^Damnit back to the drawing board^

qbitdubs
qbitdubs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Reason Aug. 30th, 2012 @ 07:32 PM Reply

At 8/30/12 07:05 PM, BB-7 wrote: ^Damnit back to the drawing board^

I'm pretty sure Ableton Live is cheaper, and then you could spend the excess money on a nice soft synth or something. You'd start with less tools to work with, but it'd be more future-proof as it's a set up you can build on.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Reason Aug. 30th, 2012 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 8/30/12 07:32 PM, qbitdubs wrote:
At 8/30/12 07:05 PM, BB-7 wrote: ^Damnit back to the drawing board^
I'm pretty sure Ableton Live is cheaper, and then you could spend the excess money on a nice soft synth or something. You'd start with less tools to work with, but it'd be more future-proof as it's a set up you can build on.

Actually, they both go for about around the same price iirc.

Both are DAWs I use and I would recommend them equally. After Reason 6.0 they added a whole new audio sequencer so qbitdubs complaints might be a bit out of date. I have yet to use it myself as I still have version 5.0, I still choose many times to use it over using Live. You may have less options in Reason down the line, but what you get is a lot of great synths (which I prefer over any VSTi synths I've used) and modules.

BB-7
BB-7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Reason Aug. 30th, 2012 @ 08:05 PM Reply

Actually I just bought Mixcraft 6 just a few mins ago as a final resort. Fun as hell already.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Reason Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 08:49 PM Reply

At 8/30/12 08:05 PM, BB-7 wrote: Actually I just bought Mixcraft 6 just a few mins ago as a final resort. Fun as hell already.

Unfortunately Mixcraft sucks when it comes to technical things...

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Reason Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 09:50 PM Reply

I've tried it, and I really don't like it. Maybe it's just because I used Reason 4 and not the latest version, but I could not stand the fact that I could use VSTs (Reason has like 3 internal instruments), and that I couldn't use audio clips, or live voice recording, or resize the window, or have more piano roll features, or... you can see where I'm going.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
Dorbyborby
Dorbyborby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Reason Sep. 4th, 2012 @ 05:22 AM Reply

At 8/30/12 06:37 PM, BB-7 wrote: I'm considering purchasing this very expensive DAW known as Reason.

Thoughts, and how good is it?

I'll agree with one poster, Mixcraft is great. Some people say it sucks, but it honestly doesn't. I've used that software for a couple years now and it is amazing for the price you can buy it at.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Reason Sep. 4th, 2012 @ 05:49 AM Reply

At 8/31/12 09:50 PM, SpaceWhale wrote: Reason has like 3 internal instruments)

yeah but tons of FL users only use massive, kontakt and MAYBE 1 other synth/sampler anyway :v

p.s. i am gay