• 36 Replies
GrantBowtie
GrantBowtie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Hip Hop modern charts 2012-09-06 21:08:14

I noticed this problem ages ago. I find it sad that someone like that feels the need to manipulate the charts. If he thinks he's going to get noticed he's got the wrong idea. Newgrounds certainly should not be the main place that an artist markets his music and manipulating the charts like thetrashofmusic only makes it harder for other members to get the constructive criticism they deserve for the effort they put into their music. I've been on Newgrounds for a long time and the main reason I'm still here is because it is one of the few places that someone can get legitimate and helpful advice for their music and also because Newgrounds is such an awesome online community. This shouldn't be changed in the slightest. My thoughts

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Hip Hop modern charts 2012-09-06 23:28:43

There is one thought I have about this. While it would not be a complete solution, it would be helpful for the people who are getting zero-bombed, it would most likely lower the amount of zero-bombing, and it doesn't seem like it would be very difficult to implement.

If somebody rates a song 0 or 1, they have to provide a reason why. Just a single reason - 30 to 100 characters, say (since more than that can be done via review). It should also be possible to have a cache of whether you've typed in this or not so you don't have to do it more than once if you want to rate a song more than once (that is, if anonymity should be part of it. If not, it can be recorded with the name - though a cache would be helpful for people who don't have a username). Even though a 2 can hurt a rating, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as a 0 or 1, and then some idea as to WHY its rated badly can be obtained. Also, it might make it easier to find out who's zero-bombing as the person voting could have their name/ip recorded more easily.

Not a perfect solution. If someone wants to point out the flaws/fix the flaws in the idea, feel free to. :)
And obviously this is just an idea I'm putting forward, not trying to tell the admins to do this or anything. I like newgrounds the way it is anyway, and if this isn't a good idea due to coding reasons, issues with server space, or whatever the heck, then well, ignore this, I suppose.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Gunner-D
Gunner-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Hip Hop modern charts 2012-09-07 10:42:24

I totally prefer Lejins alts over RMP's zero-bombing. I mean, why can't we have a voting record stat in the profile? Not specific to a user's vote on a particular song, but just a tally of 0 through 5s daily... and display it public. Show who the asskissers and the haters really are.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Hip Hop modern charts 2012-09-07 16:17:45

Again, this kind of thread has been countless times. Voting shouldn't matter for your personal gain. Pay attention to the reviews and don't worry about a stupid number. Reviews are 100% more genuine than a score and much more accurate. Use them for your self improvement. Use the community as well. If you really care about your standing on a rarely checked chart, then change the genre of your song to a lesser known genre. Thats why I make ambience. lol.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to The Hip Hop modern charts 2012-09-07 18:58:20

One thing I've learned is those who shout the loudest about this kind of thing are the worst culprits of what they're trying to call out. There is no exception here (I checked the voting logs shortly after this thread was made after one of the moderators pointed it out to me).

The really sad thing about it all is that the scores would just level themselves out naturally if everyone just got on with their own business and those who call out other people without any kind of evidence then lay themselves as open targets for down votes when they would otherwise just have been left alone - because people just think they're being assholes.

Those who think that making voting stats public, or base everything on reviews or whatever have NO CLUE what they're talking about. I'll give one example and leave it at that - the flash portal voting used to influence a user's aura back in the day. If they voted lower than the actual score of a number of submissions, they'd get a dark aura. The other way around, they'd get a light aura.

It got so that people were just voting 0 on EVERYTHING to get a dark aura and 5 on EVERYTHING to get a light aura. In other words, the aura used to act as a stat - and the same thing would happen if it were just figures in a user's profile.

Anyway, trying to influence voting habits is deeply frowned up on in all of the other forums - users are punished for it one way or another - and I don't see why it should be any different here.

So, if you have an opinion on who should be voting for what and who you THINK is voting for what, keep it to yourself. I'm all for the softly softly approach when it comes to taking action on peoples' behaviour in the forums, but when it comes to this kind of shit, where I'm pulled away from what I should be doing, I'm all for throwing the hammer down.

That is all. Have a good weekend.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Hip Hop modern charts 2012-09-07 19:20:14

the fuck is the is liljim guy.

sounds like he has a SMALL JIMMY

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory