New Topic Respond to this Topic
Silverdust
Silverdust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 11:29 PM Reply

What makes something right or wrong, in your personal opinion? With this, do you also believe in absolute morality? In other words, do you believe murder and theft are wrong regardless of the law or the region?

RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9
"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 12:31 AM Reply

it's such a terrible subject

i have at various points been a believer in evolutionary ethics (which is very "wrong") and when i was younger a moral realist (suffers mostly from the mind projection fallacy)

there's really nothing good to come from it

a moral anti-realist is the simplest answer i can give

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Boss
Boss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 12:33 AM Reply

its what keeps me from raping sluts in their ffucking gaping butts
and going down to africa slaying buzzards and shaking huts
I can't hear you you're breaking up
shshzhshzshshshzshshshhzshhzhshzhs.....shzshzhshzsszssz what?

I'm an instigator

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 03:46 AM Reply

Morality is subjective and is a human concept.
Absolute morality is not real.

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 03:51 AM Reply

This thread is 2 deep 4 me

I need to read philosophy. I'm just not sure where to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 03:52 AM Reply

At 8/26/12 03:46 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: Morality is subjective and is a human concept.

so people should still go around murdering and raping people? ok then.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 04:06 AM Reply

At 8/26/12 03:52 AM, MrPercie wrote:
At 8/26/12 03:46 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: Morality is subjective and is a human concept.
so people should still go around murdering and raping people? ok then.

Point out exactly where I said, suggested, implied or even alluded to something so fucking stupid.

Chocomilk
Chocomilk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Reader
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 04:19 AM Reply

Morality is basically implanted into our brains from a young age. Someone learns from their parents what's right and what's wrong. Morality is just a name for it.

There is no absolute morality because morality doesn't actually exist, And every situation is completely subjective.

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 04:21 AM Reply

At 8/26/12 04:19 AM, Chocomilk wrote: There is no absolute morality because morality doesn't actually exist, And every situation is completely subjective.

SO YOUR SAYENG WE SHUOLD RAPE PEOPLE HURRR DURRRRRR

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 04:25 AM Reply

At 8/26/12 04:06 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: Point out exactly where I said, suggested, implied or even alluded to something so fucking stupid.

so criminality isnt a moral issue but an issue of stupidity? That brevik fellow in norway didnt seem so stupid when he killed all those students to stop islamisation.

Yes morality can change from culture to culture but some people fucking know killing and rape is morally wrong in most of our culture but they still do it anyway and the arguement "well they must have brought up differently to think raping and murdering were good things" fuck off their just fucked up in the head criminals, maybe not all of them but quite a lot of them are.

BBS Signature
Steff
Steff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 04:28 AM Reply

At 8/25/12 11:29 PM, Silverdust wrote: What makes something right or wrong, in your personal opinion? With this, do you also believe in absolute morality? In other words, do you believe murder and theft are wrong regardless of the law or the region?

Nothing is right and nothing is wrong when you look through the majestic glasses of science.
Religion, on the other hand, sees a lot of things...

BBS Signature
Rapacity
Rapacity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 07:52 AM Reply

At 8/26/12 04:25 AM, MrPercie wrote:
At 8/26/12 04:06 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: Point out exactly where I said, suggested, implied or even alluded to something so fucking stupid.
That brevik fellow in norway didnt seem so stupid when he killed all those students to stop islamisation.

He did seem stupid, because it's an own goal to state that "Islam will control the population" and then kill people who are going to breed and create more of the Norwiegen population.

He could've just blown up a truck near a mosque, then shot everyone who made it out on time.

The preceding post was probably made when I was wasted. Only a fool would think of it as fact.
Click here to see mushookieman get pwned.

TheUkobach
TheUkobach
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 08:01 AM Reply

Morality can't realistically mean anything. It is just a bunch of morons flapping their gums about their standards. Empathy, however, is another thing.

BBS Signature
Awesomkia
Awesomkia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Morality: What is it to you? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 01:10 PM Reply

I see morality as being able to learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others, then applying these lessons to your daily life. I realize that statement sounds similar to Webster's definition of morality, but it's how I honestly feel towards the subject. I'm a hardcore realist and I am fully aware on how human emotion and thought process works, and because of this I realize that the only immoral people on this planet are the complete morons and savages. I wouldn't disrespect an ignorant tribesman in South America by lumping him together with some street thug from L.A. The street thug isn't ignorant to societies norms, he or she is simply an asshole who cares nothing for the lives of others. This contempt for authority breeds the unwillingness to learn and ultimately fuels the desire to feed ones sex drive, answer to ones innate response for violence, curse and speak obscenely and with vulgarity, commit crime without with little to no regard for the lives of others, use dangerous drugs for the sake of instant gratification, and every other immoral or heinous act or attitude you can think of.

Simply put morality is just common decency.

BBS Signature