New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Need help with live recordings Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 07:39 AM Reply

Hey everyone. I am thinking about recording some songs next week (or the week after) and I've being wondering how I can improve my recording techniques... But first I'll state what sort of stuff I have:

1) An okay keyboard (Casio LK-90TV Key Lighting System.)
2) A Tascam "Linear PCM Recorder" DR-05 (works with my computer... no problems with software *thumbs up*).
3) I use a "Retractable Car Stero Cable for iPod and iPhone" to directly input the sound from 1) to 2). This is connected to 1 via an unknown thingy... (like a bigger version of the thingy that you use to plug in headphones)
4) I use a Headphone (not earplugs or whatever) to hear back my music through 2)

I play piano pieces through my keyboard which can be loud or soft depending on the piece. (Although I'm planing to use other sounds this time but SHH! XD).

Here's my problems:
1) I can't seem to get the balance between soft and loud. I just can't figure out how high or low I should put the mic at, so if anyone knows how to help me out with this problem, please share.
2) I don't know how the settings or the format for the recording device should be like... ie Wave 16 bit, etc etc. I would also like help with this as well

If you guys can't help, I'll just ask one of my music teachers (one of them would hopefully know what to do with it). If that's the case, I'll post up the solutions (and tips) here just in case somebody else needs help with this sort of stuff :\

Anyways toodals! XD

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

aDeafBat
aDeafBat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with live recordings Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 10:59 AM Reply

1, for mic placement, if you're only working with one stereo mic, place it in the middle of the room, since the bass that builds up along the walls and floors can make your recording muddy. Position closely and point the mic directly at the source, if you have multiple sources then back the mic away to capture more area. You'll have to worry about reverberation in the room, so go to an area with the most sound absorbing properties, ie usually where there's carpet.

2, record the highest setting possible. Always record in an uncompressed format such as wav. Use 24bit 44khz if possible.. If you can only go up to 16bit, record at 96khz. If you're stuck with 16bit 44.1, it's usually no big deal, but you lose alot of headroom and get more noise when using compression.

3, if the volume is inconsistent throughout the track, simply turn up the volume of the soft parts in your audio editor (audacity?) or apply compression or normalization. Remember to make sure the recording doesn't peak, record a few dB below your highest peak to avoid that issue entirely. If you're recording in 16bit, you can't have the gain down too low either or it will introduce hiss and distortion into the track, in tiny amounts so you may not notice it at first.

Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Need help with live recordings Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 01:43 AM Reply

Thanks! That actually worked XD

But um... sorry I actually forgot to state that my main issues was with peaking, as I directly input sound from the keyboard to my recorder, so a lot of sound comes into the recorder. No matter how insensitive you put the mic on it basically refused to not peak.

Anyways, after setting up my recorder the way you said the peaking basically stooped (although I had to do a slight adjustment to my keyboard's volume). I'll just have to remember to edit the sound on audacity whenever it is required.

Thanks for the help :D

Need help with live recordings

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!