Be a Supporter!

Male Privilege (Sexism)

  • 1,182 Views
  • 42 Replies
New Topic
mushroomn
mushroomn
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:00 PM

So I've been reading these blogs lately:

thisiswhiteprivilege.tumblr.com and aboutmaleprivilege.tumblr.com

and yes they're both shitty tumblr where the overly politically correct rule all others, but I was wondering what you guys think of this.

White Privilege is something I'd agree I have, as being a white american I definitely share an advantage over the rest of the world.

But male privilege....I don't think it's entirely misguided but it seems like a lot of the examples presented either go both ways or are highly exaggerated.

What do you guys think about male privilege and white privilege, no matter what race or gender I imagine everyone has something to say on it


Mushroomn. 6 years later it's kind of a dumbass name. Sorry about that

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:28 PM

I think white males have somewhat of a disadvantage because everybody fucking hates them now.

Though white males seem to like other white males, so idk.


Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:34 PM

At 8/23/12 04:28 PM, Scarface wrote: I think white males have somewhat of a disadvantage because everybody fucking hates them now.

What the fuck.I haven't ever noticed this.


"I felt like an avenging angel, what I looked like was a fat bald guy with a bad temper." - Max Payne
Dean is a winner Also, stop whining for the chat and go check this out ▾▾

BBS Signature
JBK
JBK
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:52 PM

The great thing is that most white people these days don't have that guilt for something they had nothing to do with anymore. And to say someone is privileged just for being what race they are.. I have to disagree on that too. Not to say that this is my one reason but there has been a black president. All rich people are not white. All nonwhite people are not born into poor families. And what more is there? These people need to open their eyes. Everyone has had the choice now when they are young, to become whatever they strive to be. If they truly work that hard and not just bitch and act like the world owes them something. Even a white male could be this way and say someone else of another race is more privileged.

As for male privilege.. sure males are still dominant over females and women have been discriminated/oppressed longer than any single race and within every race and every religion. This all isnt going to change so soon.

Also those tumblrs are for pussies.


"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
mushroomn
mushroomn
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:56 PM

At 8/23/12 04:52 PM, JBK wrote: The great thing is that most white people these days don't have that guilt for something they had nothing to do with anymore. And to say someone is privileged just for being what race they are.. I have to disagree on that too. Not to say that this is my one reason but there has been a black president. All rich people are not white. All nonwhite people are not born into poor families. And what more is there? These people need to open their eyes. Everyone has had the choice now when they are young, to become whatever they strive to be. If they truly work that hard and not just bitch and act like the world owes them something. Even a white male could be this way and say someone else of another race is more privileged.

As for male privilege.. sure males are still dominant over females and women have been discriminated/oppressed longer than any single race and within every race and every religion. This all isnt going to change so soon.

Also those tumblrs are for pussies.

Yeah but there's still some racial tensions in the world, most vibrantly around people assuming black people to be more dangerous than white people. It's why white people usually get off with a warning for smoking weed and a black person gets the shit beaten out of them and a court date for doing the same thing


Mushroomn. 6 years later it's kind of a dumbass name. Sorry about that

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:05 PM

I could give a shit less if me being a white male is an advantage or disadvantage. At the end of the day it is me who got me where I am.


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
JBK
JBK
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:07 PM

At 8/23/12 04:56 PM, mushroomn wrote:
Yeah but there's still some racial tensions in the world, most vibrantly around people assuming black people to be more dangerous than white people. It's why white people usually get off with a warning for smoking weed and a black person gets the shit beaten out of them and a court date for doing the same thing

Yea I hear about that but from what Ive seen the majority (at least in the US) despise racism. Or at least are afraid of looking racist because of the hate they would recieve.
And that sounds like it would be something most often going down in a bad area. Where they would fear that they are in a gang. But they wouldnt have that thought about a white person in the same area. So they may be more careful and more on defense. But thats no excuse for being trigger happy or for unnecessary violence.


"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
Scarface
Scarface
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:11 PM

At 8/23/12 04:34 PM, tonypar16 wrote:
At 8/23/12 04:28 PM, Scarface wrote: I think white males have somewhat of a disadvantage because everybody fucking hates them now.
What the fuck.I haven't ever noticed this.

Yep. Because of the believe that society is biased toward white men, some people try to "balance things out" by being extremely biased AGAINST white men.


Rules of the BBS - Meme - Jeff
Thanks to Donut for the SIG!

BBS Signature
mushroomn
mushroomn
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:11 PM

Yea I hear about that but from what Ive seen the majority (at least in the US) despise racism. Or at least are afraid of looking racist because of the hate they would recieve.
And that sounds like it would be something most often going down in a bad area. Where they would fear that they are in a gang. But they wouldnt have that thought about a white person in the same area. So they may be more careful and more on defense. But thats no excuse for being trigger happy or for unnecessary violence.

All decent points. But I'd argue racism is a lot less sanctioned in middle and southern america than on the more liberal coasts


Mushroomn. 6 years later it's kind of a dumbass name. Sorry about that

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Artist
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:15 PM

At 8/23/12 05:05 PM, Cootie wrote: At the end of the day it is me who got me where I am.

No, it's not that simple.

To keep it simple though, let me give you an extreme example. If you'd been born in North Korea, your life would be dramatically different. Yes you would still be you, but only on the most superficial of levels.


nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature
Bit
Bit
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2007
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:09 PM

It's this privilege thing again.

Its only purpose is to discredit people, especially the majorities, not because they are deserving of such but because they simply belong to a group.

If using a blanket term to belittle an entire group isn't discrimination then every dictionary in the world is wrong.

Doing this sort of thing doesn't make you empowered, nor brave, nor correct. It shows that you either can't differentiate between friends or foes in a group, or you simply do so because it's more effort to accuse individuals rather than an entire group which most likely is made up of people who wish you to be treated as an equal.

The whole "B-b-but those meanies started it! They were/are/will be better off than us!" is childish an naive. If you don't believe you should feel bad for being what you are then why do you think others should be ashamed of what they are? That's not equality. That's revenge.

There are much more civil methods of getting a point across that involve recruiting the help of people who are different than you rather than shunning them as some of them have done to you.

Every educational establishment in the world should have a mandatory lesson on equality as part of the curriculum. Equality is about making people equal. Equality is not making one side feel ashamed and the other side resentful.

Obviously I do not care for pseudo-equality.


BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Member since: May. 12, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
mushroomn
mushroomn
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Programmer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 01:14 AM

At 8/23/12 05:11 PM, Scarface wrote:
At 8/23/12 04:34 PM, tonypar16 wrote:
At 8/23/12 04:28 PM, Scarface wrote: I think white males have somewhat of a disadvantage because everybody fucking hates them now.
What the fuck.I haven't ever noticed this.
Yep. Because of the believe that society is biased toward white men, some people try to "balance things out" by being extremely biased AGAINST white men.

I wouldn't say that, I mean I would fucking hate white men too if I was in any other position. I don't think it's an act of balancing out I think it's to diminish or destroy these strange "power" barriers we have with different races and genders


Mushroomn. 6 years later it's kind of a dumbass name. Sorry about that

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 01:20 AM

WOMEN can take my privilege when they are able to BEAT ME UP

good luck, you fucking SLORES

i got a mean right hook


letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 05:10 AM

I don't think the privileges span all cultures and locations, but it's definitely still a privilege to be both white and male where I live, even if everybody acts like or wants it to not matter.

On a side note, I have a hard time imagining what it would be like being a black female...

thecoolkillerwhale
thecoolkillerwhale
  • Member since: Apr. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 05:32 AM

At 3/29/13 01:20 AM, Sekhem wrote: WOMEN can take my privilege when they are able to BEAT ME UP

good luck, you fucking SLORES

i got a mean right hook

yeah....


I should add a cool signature. But I won't.

supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 05:42 AM

down with patriarchy & phallocentrism

--supergandhi64


BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 05:45 AM

At 3/29/13 05:32 AM, thecoolkillerwhale wrote:
At 3/29/13 01:20 AM, Sekhem wrote: WOMEN can take my privilege when they are able to BEAT ME UP

good luck, you fucking SLORES

i got a mean right hook
yeah....

how many women do you think i can beat up

i'll start at 22


letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 06:16 AM

At 3/29/13 05:45 AM, Sekhem wrote:
At 3/29/13 05:32 AM, thecoolkillerwhale wrote:
At 3/29/13 01:20 AM, Sekhem wrote: WOMEN can take my privilege when they are able to BEAT ME UP

good luck, you fucking SLORES

i got a mean right hook
yeah....
how many women do you think i can beat up

i'll start at 22

i'm gonna guess exactly 0 motherf*cker

--supergandhi64


BBS Signature
slaughterMYdaughter
slaughterMYdaughter
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 07:33 AM

Blaming it on whitey has always been smokebombs against class that reinforces bigotry, arrogance, and misogyny because of class. Addressing the flogged horse reinforces your pigment and genitals on behalf of centuries and centuries of once standard ideals Meanwhile racism quietly squirms into discussion


BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 08:26 AM

Fuck you I'm the king, that's my hammer!

Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 08:49 AM

Women are superior in every way.

If you think otherwise, you are a privileged white male; your opinions don't count.


BBS Signature
Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 08:57 AM

At 3/29/13 08:49 AM, Lemonardo wrote: Women are superior in every way.

If you think otherwise, you are a privileged white male; your opinions don't count.

Whites are superior in every way.

If you think otherwise, you are a dirty inferior untermensch; your opinions don't count.

You see the resemblance?

BBS Signature
IGreenI
IGreenI
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 09:24 AM

I read about this a while back and almost got sick to my stomach. White privilege/guilt?! Are you kidding me. Let me tell you guys something about the reality of our society: the best man for the job is no longer relevant, and the reason why is white guilt. To single out any race for +/- gain is absurd.

You can deny this aloud all you want, but inside you know affirmative action has, is and will destroy the US. It shouldn't matter what nationality you are; your religion; your sexual orientation, or the color of your skin, if you're not qualified to work in a specific filed then kick fucking rocks asshole, and stop blaming others for your incompetence.

How dare you people of color & race traitors try to make me feel bad about being white! Fuck you faggot, you have no clue what equality means, but more importantly you've no concept of how to achieve it. /mini rant


I tried, later then.

SirFinland
SirFinland
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

What about the rights of the father? Sure got some priviledge right there.

Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Member since: May. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 11:39 AM

I've been thinking about stuff like this.
Yesteryear was all about racism and anti tolerance but now we're overcompensating by basically being overly tolerant to the extent where you can't even mention someone is black in any context and feminists only focus on women's rights isssues and not men's rights issues and the bleeding hearts who get offended for black people who aren't black.
The way I see it, by pointing out stuff is only racist if it's about minorities even though you're white and treating someone differently because of the color of their skin or what's in their pants is singling them out because of their skin color, nationality, or gender.
As long as we think of someone as a "black guy" or a "girl" who have to be treated differently and as such singled out because of their skin and their genitals and not as just people who happen to have a vagina or different skin color then we're still judging people based on it and we will as long as we keep pointing out skin color and gender.
I'm not saying people should be totally racist and sexist or whatever, we just shouldn't even care if someone's black or white or a man or a woman, just care about the person.


BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Member since: Apr. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

There is a lot of male privilege stuff going on in geek culture.

Just look at the whole "fake geek girl" hysteria.

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Member since: Feb. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 12:28 PM

At 3/29/13 06:16 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: i'm gonna guess exactly 0 motherf*cker

--supergandhi64

well

is it a tough woman

i don't think i can beat up ronda rousey


letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 02:03 PM

At 3/29/13 12:28 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 3/29/13 06:16 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: i'm gonna guess exactly 0 motherf*cker

--supergandhi64
well

is it a tough woman

i don't think i can beat up ronda rousey

would you say you would get your rabble roused by ronda rousey

--supergandhi64


BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Male Privilege (Sexism) Mar. 29th, 2013 @ 02:07 PM

At 3/29/13 02:03 PM, supergandhi64 wrote:
At 3/29/13 12:28 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 3/29/13 06:16 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: i'm gonna guess exactly 0 motherf*cker

--supergandhi64
well

is it a tough woman

i don't think i can beat up ronda rousey
would you say you would get your rabble roused by ronda rousey

--supergandhi64

To bring up Ronda Rousey don't you need to then compare all of the better and stronger males?