00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How long does it take?

4,812 Views | 33 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How long does it take? 2012-08-23 06:41:38

How long does it take you to make a full Track?

for me it take between 1h and 8h spreaded over 2-3 days

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 06:44:51

At 8/23/12 06:41 AM, ForeverBound wrote: How long does it take you to make a full Track?

It use to take me less than an hour, but nowadays the fastest track I made was in 50 hours in 5 days.I guess it really depends on what type of projects you're working on.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 06:48:33

At 8/23/12 06:41 AM, ForeverBound wrote: How long does it take you to make a full Track?

I lose track of the exact hours, but I work part-time 3 days a week, and it usually takes me around a month before I'm happy with my track.

From a rough guess, I'd say around 50 hours. This includes creating my own synths from scratch (not all, but most), writing/arranging, sampling (drums and vocals mainly - sometimes the odd effect), mixing and mastering.

I try to work meticulously. Whenever I rush through a project, I create a meaningless and boring track.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 07:14:22

Lol, thought this was another thread about how long it takes to be approved.

Anyway, most of the tracks I make are done in about 5-10 hours, spread over 2 or 3 days. Once I get on a roll, I can produce and mix really quickly and efficiently, so that's why most of my tracks are done in quite a small amount of time.
Besides, I really can't spend any longer on a track because I tend to lose interest when I've listened to it for too long.

New tune: Yag

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 07:23:55

My shortest time was about 1 minute, my longest time was probably between two weeks to a month.

It depends on the kind of track: the track which was done in 1 minute was made for the Game Jam this year, and it was a loop. But there are some things where inspiration doesn't come to me, and it takes me a while.

My longest piece on Newgrounds (Capriccio Bullet Heaven) took me 4 days to finish, which is quite surprising TBH!

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 09:13:40

Usually around 30 hours spread over one to two months for the big projects, at least 10 - 15 hours spread over one to two weeks for the medium-sized projects and around 2 - 8 hours for the tiny stuff (loops, etc).

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 11:37:08

TOO long. Usually because I'm messing around with sounds. Trying to create something new/unique, which is downright impossible really. Still... I like to be creative, so why the hell not.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 11:43:46

At 8/23/12 07:23 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: ...my longest time was probably between two weeks to a month.

Hang on, I take that back --

My actual longest time ever working on a piece was about five months, and that was for my first submission (Westminster Tune ~ Preuve de foi). Reason being, I came up with the first few bars in January last year, and then abandoned the piece until early May. But otherwise, if a piece takes me a month, it does take me quite a while!

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 15:43:38

For me, usually 1-10 hours in a single sitting. Sometimes spread over two or three days if I'm really ambitious.

A big part of that is because I mainly compose piano music and don't have to do any real mixing/mastering. A melody often stews in my brain for a few days and then I sit at my MIDI controller and improvise on it. I might then come up with a simple structure in my head, fit the idea to it, and I've got a song. Then I go back and tweak it.

I hear most everything in my head as I compose. I can hear the melodies and chord progressions and know what they are intuitively. Then I've just got to play them or put them in the piano roll. Orchestral music does take longer of course...I think my longest project was probably around 20 hours spread out over a few days.

You might say I have musical ADD. I have to force myself to take my time lately. .>.<

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 15:47:19

Fluctuates... I've made a full track in 2 hours, and on the other end, I have a track that I'm still working on 3 years later.

On average, I'd say it takes me about 5-10 hours to write a track, usually in a single sitting.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 16:13:49

It depends, but usually it is :
around 14 hours melody building and 8 hours of mastering.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 16:25:51

Usually about 2 days. I spend like 2-10 hours making the main basis of a song. Then I spend a few hours the following day nit-picking, getting the right sound, tweaking etc.

I've spent like a week on some projects, but in that time I get bored of them and just loose the inspiration I had for them at the start. Eventually they just become an unsure mess which I end up dismissing.

The quickest "presentable" track I made was probably 'Pixel Life' which took roughly 1-2 hours. And the longest was probably my newest track (The Grand sea). I spent a few hours making some basses then leaving it, going back to it the next day and adding a melody for fun, then ended up going all out a few days later to make it into something. Then started nitpicking the next day as usual.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 16:35:56

it normally takes me 1-4 hours to make a track. If it takes over 10 or more than three sittings, I get discouraged and in most cases give up.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 17:16:50

For me I can write can completely finish a song and upload it in 3 hours or perhaps 3 months. If I don't finish it by 3 months, than I'm probably never finishing it and forgot about it.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 17:33:01

Wow I didn't thought that there would be so many replies lol.

Also 3 months doesn't mean u work on it everyday?
Now I feel sorry for the guys who put in 60 - 80 hours of work in there tracks.
And some of them aren't that more complex as my tracks.

Okay in TranceCrafters case i wouldn't feel sorry because they are awsome.

But can u imagine that Your working like 60- 80 hours on a single track. I can't ( talking about a 4 min house/trance/dance track)

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 18:12:58

At 8/23/12 05:33 PM, ForeverBound wrote: Also 3 months doesn't mean u work on it everyday?
Now I feel sorry for the guys who put in 60 - 80 hours of work in there tracks.
And some of them aren't that more complex as my tracks.

Effort is always rewarded. Sure, you can rush through and make some half-boiled track using some presets and voila, you have a decent track. However, if you work your arse off on every project, you will improve after every project. Gradually, you will learn how to make your own synth patches from scratch, how to use mixing tools properly, and to add those finishing touches.

The reason it can take many people less time to finish a track, is because they're quite new and don't know all the techniques and how to use all the tools of the trade. The more you learn, the more you realize what you need to do to get a track up to professional standard. And even then, it takes heaps of practice to be able to get your track up to professional standard.

If you want to take music seriously, and in a year's time you're pumping out tracks in less than 20 hours... be worried.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 18:35:43

If you want to take music seriously, and in a year's time you're pumping out tracks in less than 20 hours... be worried.

Now i am really getting woried because i'm already producing like 2 years. I gues 1 year now with fl and i'm still getting netter

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-23 23:14:36

At 8/23/12 06:12 PM, The-iMortal wrote: The more you learn, the more you realize what you need to do to get a track up to professional standard. And even then, it takes heaps of practice to be able to get your track up to professional standard.

Amen. I wouldn't consider my work (most of which you will NOT find here on NG, as it is commercial) nearly as professional as I want it to be, which means I still have much to learn. But if I'm working on a particular project, unless time or money is very tight, I usually budget 1 minute's worth of music to one day of work. One good, solid, fully formed minute for one whole day of work. Obviously with breaks/meals/other errands etc., but still.

More often than not I will get more done than 1 minute, but on other occassions I just barely get it together - it really depends on what I'm doing. Scoring to picture, for example, where the music must cue with visuals in a specific way, will take longer than creating a background loop for a flash game. Creating a full orchestral score will take more time than a simple chiptune. etc.

Let's not forget the planning stage, which I find crucial for certain projects. This takes time as well, but saves you a ton of wasted farting-around in the long run, so you always have a direction to take while working.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-24 02:58:14

A loop might take 4-5 hours, but longer tracks I really want to take my time with. Beyond that, for more serious, contemporary pieces, I think I might spend something 15-40 hours writing/brainstorming. That excludes any form of production, though includes making a presentable score and such. Longest project so far is probably a string trio that I had as my main project for 2-3 months.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-24 04:21:21

Upwards of 10 hours, spread over 2~4 weeks.
That said, I release songs every 1 - 3 months, because I usually have about a 2 week cooldown period where I rest my creativity bone.

bork bork bork

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-24 04:26:20

Honestly? If I'm doing a 3-5 minute track, I could do it in 4-5 hours if I do it in one sitting. But lately, my enthusiasm for music and inspiration is dying a bit, so now it could take either a week or two.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-24 05:06:07

Well well, you've got that right. My one month of working on my latest project did earn me a spot in the Popular Audio section, thus I'd say more time = better results.

unless u lsoe inspiration or u can't get further with the song and in the end it still sucks ;) so it depends on alot of facts and sometimes u need more them then normaly. as long as u are happy with the end result ;)

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-24 11:57:42

My fastest time has been 24 hours , pretty much one day working without any breaks and only slept like 5 hours.

My longest time has been 62 hours (according to FL)

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-24 11:58:20

When it comes to electronic music, it usually takes anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks to produce a fully finished track.

When it comes to playing actual instruments, there is no foreseeable end to the writing process. There's some songs that i've been working on for years...

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-24 12:54:31

~ 3-5 hours. I dunno, I guess when you're experienced, you tend to have a higher standard and more knowledge about the details. I have no idea how much effort can into a track 'cause I generally just work on the melodies rather than sound quality.

BBS Signature

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-25 15:37:23

I always start with the melodie or some chords or strings.

then I make the release and after that I start on the intro etc

i master pretty easy because i use some default master settings and till now on it still sounds good.

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-25 16:44:53

At 8/23/12 06:12 PM, The-iMortal wrote: If you want to take music seriously, and in a year's time you're pumping out tracks in less than 20 hours... be worried.

Sometimes even the best tracks are made in less than 5 hours.

Newest song: Rippers

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-26 12:37:54

Usually,Most of my tracks take about 2-3 days to finish,and I usually have about 30-40 hours on them by the time they're uploaded. Some of the best stuff I've written has come from one sitting (As GJ7 has seen) and a select few projects I still work on from time to time,because they aren't quite up to my standard as of yet.

My method is:
Write a progression
Write melody to progression
add counter-melody/harmony
Begin to add everything else
Switch instruments and sounds until just right
KEY CHANGE
Make a drop outro
Listen to it over and add some extra things here and there
Upload

most of the time,anyways.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-26 13:38:52

At 8/25/12 04:44 PM, DJVI wrote:
At 8/23/12 06:12 PM, The-iMortal wrote: If you want to take music seriously, and in a year's time you're pumping out tracks in less than 20 hours... be worried.
Sometimes even the best tracks are made in less than 5 hours.

Case in point, if your best track came from the Game Jam or something similar...

Response to How long does it take? 2012-08-28 15:56:52

At 8/26/12 04:21 PM, Computer112 wrote: I think most of the time it takes to make a song is all spent in making preset, instrument arrangement and EQing. Although lately I reuse the setups of whatever previous project.

i don't use old settings all is created new here ;)