New Topic Respond to this Topic
Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
I Need Criticism!! Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:21 PM Reply

Here is a piece I did to practice painting in gray scale only to help myself understand depth. I have finished it and I would appreciate any constructive criticism to point out what I did good or bad. It would help me a lot as I just started painting bodies to this extent. I will keep all your words in mind for my next piece.

I will be adding color to the image later.

I Need Criticism!!

Visit My Portfolio to see more of my artwork

DOWNLOAD MY COMIC : http://opelm.com/Comic/book1.zip

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:47 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 01:21 PM, Blud-Shot wrote: Here is a piece I did to practice painting in gray scale only to help myself understand depth. I have finished it and I would appreciate any constructive criticism to point out what I did good or bad. It would help me a lot as I just started painting bodies to this extent. I will keep all your words in mind for my next piece.

I will be adding color to the image later.

wow, why color? it looks nice in grey.

some issues with the pic from my perspective.

the big dude looks like he is flying, or bending over while standing on something? What I mean is that the legs of the vegeta dude and the giant can hardly be level.

somehow I feel that vegeta is standing in the foreground (probably related to the previous issue)

vegeta has a very flat butt??

arms are nice and bulky, but in comparison his chest looks kinda flat.

the vains on the big dude are ok, but they dont POP out, which is probably what you want.

there seem to be different lightsources, thats oke I like it, but somehow the chin of vegeta seems off in respect to lighting. I dunno maybe someone can be more specific.

great pic!

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:07 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 03:47 PM, Tomsan wrote: the big dude looks like he is flying, or bending over while standing on something?

That "big dude" is the Hulk.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:11 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 04:07 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 8/22/12 03:47 PM, Tomsan wrote: the big dude looks like he is flying, or bending over while standing on something?
That "big dude" is the Hulk.

who?

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:27 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 04:11 PM, Tomsan wrote: who?

You know, big green guy, smashes things, yells?

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:35 PM Reply

Sorry I didn't ask permission, but I did a quick paintover to iron out the kinks.

The first change I made was to the arm. I re-proportioned the bulks of muscle. Sharpened up the highlights on the triceps and downplayed some of the other masses of muscle. The forearm originally had a lot of mass in the backside, but when you extend your forearm completely it practically goes flat, so I drowned out the extra mass with highlight to adjust that. You originally had the deltoids leaning back, almost, whereas the muscles actually angle forward. I bulked up the bicep and increased the depth of the hollow inside the elbow.

The next big fix was the torso. It had a lot of mid tones in it, making it look kind of flat. I bulked in the anteriors (the little muscles that line the ribcage) since they were just kinda lines before. I significantly darkened the side of his body to give it more depth and "pushed" the abs more to the front by adding darks beside and underneath them. I broadened the highlight on the back to give it a broader, flatter appearance. I put more emphasis on his "love handles" and pushed the profile of the abs forward, which follows down into the crotch, which should technically have a slight bulge. The pecs were pushed forward, a nipple was added (lol), and I emphasized on the striations in the pecs that become more apparent when you pull your arms back like that. Also increased the volume of dark in the underarms and beneath the clavicle to separate it from the chest.

The head was an obvious fix: originally you had the profile leaning way backwards, so I fronted it a bit near the top. I brought the forehead forward, pulled the chin and lips back, gave him a little more of an adam's apple, bulked up the underside of the chin (which kinda inflates when you lift your chin) and defined the shoulder muscles. As a small detail, I added folds to the back of his neck.

Originally, Vegeta's butt was kind of flat and had small slivers of highlight. I erased the small sliver along the bottom, gave the butt some more form and added that blot of light toward the inside of the buttock. When you have really defined buttocks , they create a dimple like that. I also darkened the crotch line.

The Hulk was almost perfect as is. The only thing I did was bring the center point of the clavicles forward, since his chest seemed to be facing the audience more than his head originally. I bulked up his pecs and made his body curve downward more to give the illusion that he's hunching forward instead of floating (like Tomsan said).

On a compositional level I noticed a lot of negative space in the bottom right, so I added Hulk's fist. This gives you an opportunity to add depth by applying atmospheric perspective to the fist, improves the sense of scale, adds character interaction, emphasizes Hulk's disposition and gives him more presence. It also grounds him, giving him the illusion of standing on solid ground instead of floating.

Anyway, that was a long rambling post. I hope it helped, though.

I Need Criticism!!

WiZBiN-Yoshi-1
WiZBiN-Yoshi-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:57 PM Reply

Looking at vegetas stance its very open, since the theme is hostile , his stance would benfit greatly if his body was slightly turning and have his hands protect his chest sides - not as evidently as a boxer say but a more protective. I would tell the viewer alot more whats going on.

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

@Cypress - I can't thank you enough for spotting out the oddities in my image. I'm going to do the modifications based on what you have listed. I will also add the fist of the Hulk. Thanks.

BeckyRawr
BeckyRawr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:32 PM Reply

My bf saw this picture and he wants it. xD

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:49 PM Reply

At 8/23/12 08:32 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: My bf saw this picture and he wants it. xD

When it's done I'll post it on NG. Send me a PM so I remember to send it to you.

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:40 PM Reply

Here is the final image!

I Need Criticism!!

BeckyRawr
BeckyRawr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:45 PM Reply

Thank would be awesome :3.
Thanks.

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to I Need Criticism!! Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 8/23/12 10:45 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: Thank would be awesome :3.
Thanks.

Check your inbox shortly :D While I'm online I'll send it to you