New Topic Respond to this Topic
pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Class Balancing. 2012-08-21 22:24:23 Reply

Hi! I run a Laser Tag Arena in Houston Texas, and Im in charge of Game design, for the multiple different game modes etc - I've recently planned out and played a "Class" Based Game style, used for Free-For-All play for up to 50 players in a 8,000 sq feet two story facility. I'm wondering if I list the Specs, of each individual class, and how damage works - if this would be a good place to recieve some advice and insight upon balancing classes in terms of Damage, Toughness, and Powerups and special abilities to make the game fair enough to have a proper single Victor for large scale tournaments. :3 - Its just a minimum wage job Im in - and I like to kinda go all out, and was looking for some advice or critiquing on the playstyle. :3 - if this is a good palce to go, let me know and Ill start setting up info listed here. :3

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Class Balancing. 2012-08-22 06:34:15 Reply

At 8/21/12 10:24 PM, pockets08 wrote: Hi! I run a Laser Tag Arena in Houston Texas, and Im in charge of Game design, for the multiple different game modes etc - I've recently planned out and played a "Class" Based Game style, used for Free-For-All play for up to 50 players in a 8,000 sq feet two story facility. I'm wondering if I list the Specs, of each individual class, and how damage works - if this would be a good place to recieve some advice and insight upon balancing classes in terms of Damage, Toughness, and Powerups and special abilities to make the game fair enough to have a proper single Victor for large scale tournaments. :3 - Its just a minimum wage job Im in - and I like to kinda go all out, and was looking for some advice or critiquing on the playstyle. :3 - if this is a good palce to go, let me know and Ill start setting up info listed here. :3

Class balancing doesn't have to be anywhere near as good as it does for a computer game, irl people either suck at shooting or are good at it and having classes won't change that fact. In games people will complain about the balance as they can play the game but loose to others who can also play. While in irl shooting you will have people playing against others of completely different skill levels that can only complain about the difference in skill rather than the difference in balance.

Besides which, you are being paid minimum wage, just make something that looks reasonably balanced that is far more than enough coming from someone who is paid the lowest amount possible. If they want genius work doing they should pay more.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
pockets08
pockets08
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Class Balancing. 2012-08-22 07:59:00 Reply

At 8/22/12 06:34 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 8/21/12 10:24 PM, pockets08 wrote: Hi! I run a Laser Tag Arena in Houston Texas, and Im in charge of Game design, for the multiple different game modes etc - I've recently planned out and played a "Class" Based Game style, used for Free-For-All play for up to 50 players in a 8,000 sq feet two story facility. I'm wondering if I list the Specs, of each individual class, and how damage works - if this would be a good place to recieve some advice and insight upon balancing classes in terms of Damage, Toughness, and Powerups and special abilities to make the game fair enough to have a proper single Victor for large scale tournaments. :3 - Its just a minimum wage job Im in - and I like to kinda go all out, and was looking for some advice or critiquing on the playstyle. :3 - if this is a good palce to go, let me know and Ill start setting up info listed here. :3
Class balancing doesn't have to be anywhere near as good as it does for a computer game, irl people either suck at shooting or are good at it and having classes won't change that fact. In games people will complain about the balance as they can play the game but loose to others who can also play. While in irl shooting you will have people playing against others of completely different skill levels that can only complain about the difference in skill rather than the difference in balance.

Besides which, you are being paid minimum wage, just make something that looks reasonably balanced that is far more than enough coming from someone who is paid the lowest amount possible. If they want genius work doing they should pay more.

Well, Lmao - I explained this idea to my Boss man, and he laughed at me - I got a two quarter raise, and Im titled as Managment, for the Laser Tag arena. - I will continue to obtain raises if this works out. so - Fuck Yea I want it to work out. Plus - its pretty B.A. -

Anyway, you can have a large amount of skill - but the guy with More Health than you, and equal power - is obviously in a fire fight, going to win. - Its not a 1 tag deal. It takes multiple shots to take somone out, based on the "class" - Defense based classes have more shields, or health. While Offensive based classes have more range, damage, or artilery. Then of course balanced classes, and no support classes because its not a team based tournament - though im Implementing a Factions war, to allow team play using the tournament methods and a Overall Faction ranking on the site. I just want to make sure if things where to go against eachother 1v1, a general outcome. - the classes are intended to fit playstyles, more so. like - the Sniper:

Lowest Health, Highest Damage output, and a One hit lock-on. Obviously as a sniper, you become the watchful eye of the arena, seek out targets in the middle of battle, and take the killing shot. - if you're a tard and run out there trying to be a Defensive unit style player - you loose HP fast. Way to suck!

but yea, the sniper would be considered a Tier of offensive classes, also like the scout - where its the exact same thing, Minus the One hit lock on ability but instead, a Rapid fire rate of 5 shots a second, allowing you to quickly sweep a battle and take out units swiftly in attempts to be unseen, or to take as little damage as possible, getting those last hits for the kill - and also a Payback ability where if you die, you come back in for a counter immediatley.