Be a Supporter!
BB-7
BB-7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 06:12 PM Reply

Asking another time around what's a good DAW?

(FL Studio is not a friggin answer right now.)

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 06:19 PM Reply

shitty unspecific threads get shitty unspecific answers.

Syztm
Syztm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 06:22 PM Reply

At 8/21/12 06:12 PM, BB-7 wrote:

Why not?

New tune: Yag

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 06:35 PM Reply

At 8/21/12 06:12 PM, BB-7 wrote: Asking another time around what's a good DAW?

You've made several songs using FL Studio. Since you are are now asking for DAW suggestions, I can only assume you're operating under the hilarious delusion that having a fancy DAW will make you magically better at making music. The only thing that will let you make better music is practice. If you feel your sounds are limited, find better samples and synths. The DAW means nothing. It's like trying to get better at math by buying a really fancy pencil.

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 06:49 PM Reply

Any DAW is good if you take the time to become a champion of it.

Seriously, though, if you take the time to learn it, even Modplug can get you far.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 8/21/12 06:35 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: You've made several songs using FL Studio. Since you are are now asking for DAW suggestions, I can only assume you're operating under the hilarious delusion that having a fancy DAW will make you magically better at making music. The only thing that will let you make better music is practice. If you feel your sounds are limited, find better samples and synths. The DAW means nothing. It's like trying to get better at math by buying a really fancy pencil.

I completely disagree with you. Different DAWs do different things. Try editing out a random noise that ruined a recording without deleting all the audio at that part, and do it without Adobe Audition. FL Studio can't even pretend to do that, unless you've purchased iZotope VSTs (Audition is entirely based around iZotope products, just so you know). Even something as simple as the layout can completely change the way you work. If you put me in FL, then I'll probably get one song done in about a year. Put me in Audition and Cubase, then I can pump out 5 songs a week if I had too. It costs money to make music. There's very few careers, besides music careers that you are practically forced to buy new stuff. Ofcourse it's not impossible to spend $0, but that won't get you very far. Unless you wanna be like Avicii, and get caught using pirated software on camera, haha.

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 07:11 PM Reply

At 8/21/12 06:58 PM, Trampzy wrote:
At 8/21/12 06:35 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: You've made several s..................
I completely ......

Both of you are right, Sure every daw has it's own special field when it comes to production. Audition is really nice to edit the audio in an extremely precise method. Fl studio is incredible easy to use and can support most VST´s without crashing.

It´s obvious that DAWS are completely different because if they would all the same features , what would be the point of buying the most expensive daw , when there´s one that is very cheap and pretty much does the same. It´s all matter of taste and their needs. If you are in the situation of having to use an unknown DAW which lack the features that your usual DAW does , just find a way to complement it and try to make it as close as your DAW if you need to work fast with VST.

But buying the most expensive shit doesn´t make you better, it´s all about how do you use the tools since the most important thing when it comes to producing it´s well........ the producer.

Music is my passion , not my business.

BB-7
BB-7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

Well wow what the hell already?

Look. I'm tired of FL Studio and it's difficult to control effects and continuous crashes. There. Not thinking it will make me beast at music. I just hate it now.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 07:29 PM Reply

At 8/21/12 06:58 PM, Trampzy wrote: I completely disagree with you. Different DAWs do different things.

On a big picture, most DAWs do same things, sequence midi and record audio.

Try editing out a random noise that ruined a recording without deleting all the audio at that part, and do it without Adobe Audition.

Adobe Audition is an editor, not a DAW. Editing audio should be done in an editor, not a DAW.

FL Studio can't even pretend to do that, unless you've purchased iZotope VSTs

Actually in FL Studio you have an integrated editor named Edison, not really the best but at any time you can use Audacity.

Audition is entirely based around iZotope products, just so you know.

Actually is the old Cool Edit re-branded by Adobe.

Even something as simple as the layout can completely change the way you work.

+1. That's something I agree 150%

It costs money to make music. There's very few careers, besides music careers that you are practically forced to buy new stuff. Ofcourse it's not impossible to spend $0, but that won't get you very far. Unless you wanna be like Avicii, and get caught using pirated software on camera, haha.

Well, I was on 0$ budget and made a pretty good job with finding freeware. I made several threads about this:
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/freebies-samplers-and-s ample-libraries/18932
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/freebies-best-free-vst-
effects/15145

http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/freebies-free-synths/26 145

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 07:59 PM Reply

At 8/21/12 07:19 PM, BB-7 wrote: Well wow what the hell already?

Look. I'm tired of FL Studio and it's difficult to control effects and continuous crashes. There. Not thinking it will make me beast at music. I just hate it now.

Have you tried ableton live?

It´s pretty good , pretty much my second choice

I also like cubase but it´s really confusing at first, you may have a hard time trying to learn the basics.

Music is my passion , not my business.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 08:12 PM Reply

id say fl is one of the most stable daws,

i know logic is a trainwreck and crashes about once per 1-2 hours.

make sure everything you own is legal first off, changing daw is a rather large investment if you're not stinking rich.

HyperTrough
HyperTrough
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 08:58 PM Reply

Garage Band is pretty solid!

lol fuk u

BB-7
BB-7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to DAW Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 09:31 PM Reply

These last 3 are better :3

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to DAW Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:47 AM Reply

This could be a hardware issue. You sure your CPU is packing the juice to push FL studio? If you've purchased it, might contact customer support, or google around for a solution to the crash. Chances are it's happened before to someone and they've complained about it and got an answer on some forum out there somewhere.

Effects control is never exactly an easy trip without hurdles... just different methods.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to DAW Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:00 PM Reply

switch to live, might work for ya if you like controlling things and don't wanna jump through hoops to get simple connections happening

reason is the king of stability, but it's not quite a fully fledged DAW (but it's close enough for 99% of people!)

p.s. i am gay

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to DAW Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:26 PM Reply

When looking for a DAW, one should look for the following things:

1.) Does the DAW have an easy to use interface? The sequencer is what you will be using the most, AKA where you put all of your synths, beats, and recordings. If the sequencer is fairly understandable, give it a roll and start experimenting! For me, I use Garageband because it is the SIMPLEST I could find. I add my own tools later on. Some prefer all the tools to already be there, however.

2.) Does the DAW have VST and AU support? Some DAWs do not and use their own separate user created packages. A VST or an AU is what you need to create synths, bring in effects, and do all sorts of wack and crazy things to your mix. They are add ons for your musical production experience.

3.) How much computer power does it need? Some DAWs need a large load of power and are recommended to be used on AT LEAST a quad core computer! Most companies will say dual core, but I personally have experienced various limitations and simply need a quad core to do everything I want! Latency is also an issue with several DAWs. In other words, there is a delay from the moment you hit a note to the time when the computer produces it via your output. *even a few miliseconds can be annoying and potentially can ruin your experience*. Make sure you have a fairly nice computer. In my opinion, a quad core above 2.0GHZ with 8GB Ram is all you ever need. I got by with a Dual Core at 4GB Ram, but after upgrading I noticed a HUGE difference because I can make more complicated things.

4.) What genre are you wanting to produce? Some DAWs are targeted towards certain genres, and therefore are fairly user unfriendly for certain things. For exmaple, I can simply NOT produce ambient music in Fruity Loops... that may just be me, but I prefer using Garageband.

I hope this helps!

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to DAW Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:39 PM Reply

At 8/21/12 07:29 PM, sorohanro wrote: On a big picture, most DAWs do same things, sequence midi and record audio.

Well yeah, that's the point of a DAW, but it's the little things. Should I say all grocery stores are the same too? Yes because they all sell food, but they each sell food you can't get at the other, while they all stock some of the same things too.

Adobe Audition is an editor, not a DAW. Editing audio should be done in an editor, not a DAW.

not to be a dick but I kinda laughed when I read this. It's a DAW. I know you know what DAW stands for, so I shouldn't have to explain this one at all. Just reread what you wrote. :P

Actually in FL Studio you have an integrated editor named Edison, not really the best but at any time you can use Audacity.

I know nothing of Edison, but I was on Audacity for years and Audacity is amazing, but it doesn't have the precision that audition has. In Audition, you can either program a noise reducer(there's like 3) or you can paint that noise out, with a brush tool. It's the same brush tools that iZotope programs use. It's basically the coolest thing ever. I didn't try all the leading DAWs and then settle on Audition at random.
My setup is do all my MIDI and arranging in Cubase then mix and master everything in Audition (I also do recording with mic's into Audition) It's the perfect setup in my opinion. Audition is probably the best DAW on the market for precise mastering.

Actually is the old Cool Edit re-branded by Adobe.

...what? That interface was designed by Adobe, but 90% of the tools are made by iZotope. They have a partnership together for Audition.

Well, I was on 0$ budget and made a pretty good job with finding freeware. I made several threads about this:

I didn't say you couldn't do it, just don't expect to be rocking Ibiza using freeware. Because you'd need to buy at least a laptop with a good DAW and turntables right?

You don't seem to be that familiar with Audition from the sound of things...

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to DAW Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:52 PM Reply

Look bro, I've used quite a few DAW's, and the one I use right now is Ableton Live. Ableton Live is the most suitable DAW for my needs as an electronic musician. Here are some of the pros which I mainly notice:

1. Putting in automation clips is easy as hell. Unlike most DAW's, you don't have to fish through a list of all the knobs inside a synth or VST to find the right one. You simply click on the knob you want to automate, and inside Live, the option to automate that parameter is there. This has increased my workflow by heaps.
2. Unlimited amount of effects/VSTs on each channel.
3. You can copy and paste VSTs onto different tracks. This includes the automations and settings as well.
4. You can rearrange your FX chain, in case you realise you want some saturation to hit in BEFORE the compression.
5. There is an auto-warp option for importing audio files. This means that you can bring in an acapella, and it will sync it up to the tempo. The faster you make the tempo, the faster this audio track is. You can disable this if you want.
6. Very stable.

Now, here are the cons for Ableton Live I mainly notice:

1. The BETA with 64-bit support only supports 64-bit plugins. You can use the 32-bit version, but then only 32-bit plugins will be detected. You can't use both 64-bit and 32-bit plugins at the same time.
2. You can only export as AIFF and WAV files.

That's really all I can think of for the cons. Though, the first con I listed is pretty damn stupid and annoying. However, Live's capabilities make workflow so much faster for me than any DAW, that it's still worth using for me.

As for the stability, the only time I can remember getting crashes is a weird glitch using Melodyne. When I was messing around with Melodyne (I just bought this software), I was bringing in heaps of acapellas, then editing them with Melodyne to see if I could get them to suit the track. Anyway, Live would keep crashing shortly after I removed the instance of Melodyne. However, if I have Melodyne put in, and I leave it in, Live will not crash.

And when Live has crashed, or I've had a power out, Live has ALWAYS been able to recover the file. I still do many backups for my projects, but Live has never not been able to recover a project.

Hopefully this gives you an idea of Ableton Live, so you can decide whether or not it's for you.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to DAW Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:18 PM Reply

Just gonna throw my dumb thoughts in on this:

At 8/23/12 05:52 PM, The-iMortal wrote: 1. Putting in automation clips is easy as hell. Unlike most DAW's, you don't have to fish through a list of all the knobs inside a synth or VST to find the right one. You simply click on the knob you want to automate, and inside Live, the option to automate that parameter is there.

THAT is kinda annoying in FL, but if you have the list of parameters open and you tweak something then it's automatically highlighted in the list. I-L need to make this a lot easier because it confuses the shit out of new users who just pirated Massive and don't know what they're doing :v

2. Unlimited amount of effects/VSTs on each channel.

In FL you can route a mixer channels in series to their neighbours if you need more than 8 effects on something, although you really shouldn't need to do this very often

3. You can copy and paste VSTs onto different tracks. This includes the automations and settings as well.

That sounds handy but I don't think I duplicate an instrument AND it's settings/automation very often. But there's lots of reasons why I might want to do that though, so it could be worth pestering Image-Line for something like that?

4. You can rearrange your FX chain, in case you realise you want some saturation to hit in BEFORE the compression.

Mouse wheel does this in FL (but it should be more obvious) :D
Drag and drop would be nice, I suppose!

5. There is an auto-warp option for importing audio files. This means that you can bring in an acapella, and it will sync it up to the tempo. The faster you make the tempo, the faster this audio track is. You can disable this if you want.

I wish this was easier to do in FL

6. Very stable.

In the end the onus is on plugin developers to make sure their plugins run smoothly on all current major DAWs (although some are probably easier to work with than others). Reason omitted VST support just to keep everything compatible and stable (and also to make it the most ballin' ReWire client ever).

p.s. i am gay