New Topic Respond to this Topic
ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 01:36 AM Reply

Is Newgrounds headed towards becoming a "desktop-only" website?

Thoughts?

Jester
Jester
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 01:45 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 01:37 AM, CockGobbler wrote:
At 8/21/12 01:36 AM, ExtraLife wrote: Is Newgrounds headed towards becoming a "desktop-only" website?

Thoughts?
What the fuck is a desktop-only website?

I am also curious.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 01:47 AM Reply

mang

Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 01:48 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 01:36 AM, ExtraLife wrote: Is Newgrounds headed towards becoming a "desktop-only" website?

Thoughts?

A website that is best browsed on a desktop computer.

Just think about the browsing experience you'd have on Newgrounds on a phone, on a tablet, and on a computer screen. Think about how the way content would be displayed and how it would be interacted with.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 01:49 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 01:48 AM, ExtraLife wrote:

Thoughts?
A website that is best browsed on a desktop computer.

Such a thing exists?

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 02:11 AM Reply

I hope so. Fuck tablets and their drooling owners.

Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website

TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 02:19 AM Reply

Until Apple adds Flash compatibility or HTML5 goes mainstream, yeah.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 02:51 AM Reply

Thoughts?

Yes.

Newgrounds does not work well on mobile devices like smartphones or tablets. The best work being done within web-deisgn today is being done in the mobile sector, a sector that NG is largely ignoring.

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 03:21 AM Reply

Just think about the browsing experience you'd have on Newgrounds on a phone, on a tablet, and on a computer screen. Think about how the way content would be displayed and how it would be interacted with.

Pretty awesome.

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 03:27 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 03:21 AM, cast wrote:
Pretty awesome.

Not. Not at all.

Tiny buttons. Tiny clickable text entires in close proximity to each other. Lot's of clickable items close to the content (a problem for touch based scrolling).

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 04:04 AM Reply

Um, so does a laptop count as a desktop computer?

If not I hope it doesn't become a desktop only/preferable website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
DarkMatter
DarkMatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 04:12 AM Reply

Shut the fuck up.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT DUDE WITH THE RED HAT BROWN TRENCH COAT AND SHOTGUN?!?! I miss the old ASSASSIN days. Click Me

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 04:44 AM Reply

The legacy problem with NG is the majority of content is Flash-based so it has never been a smooth transition to mobile platforms. That's all changing over time and with updates to the system but it takes a lot of work and as usual our team is really small. Examples of things we are doing:

1) We are releasing free software that makes it easier than ever to convert SWF to MP4 with the best quality ever. This means artists and moderators can create MP4 alternatives for a majority of the movie content from the past 12 years on NG. Our project system will offer the ability to upload an MP4 alternative that can run on non-Flash devices.

2) We are setting up a server to compress MP4 files on the site to more mobile friendly sizes. Right now our emphasis has been on 1080p video for desktop and TV but those files are a bit big for mobile viewing.

3) We will soon be accepting games in HTML5 format and will also allow people to upload HTML5 alternatives to existing SWF games. If someone makes a game with Stencyl 3.0 when it comes out (soon), they may want to submit both an SWF version (spreads virally to thousands of sites where they can make revenue from the built-in ad) and an HTML5 version (to work on mobile).

4) We will ultimately need to make the site html more adaptive so that it adjusts to mobile devices. For example, not load the heavy page skins, reduce the header height, make text bigger, maybe even move the entire left column to make content buttons fill the width of the screen.

We could also have unique pages built for mobile but I really prefer an adaptive design so we don't end up with two unique websites. We will also need to make our content pages filter based on platform, so if you browse the games page on an iPhone it will default to an HTML5 game filter (with toggle options in case you want to just check on stuff).

5) While not technically a mobile feature, our upcoming feeds section should make it easier for people on the go to keep track of their reviews, forum replies, etc.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 04:47 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 04:44 AM, TomFulp wrote:

And in 3, 2, 1 everyone starts taking this thread much more seriously.

BBS Signature
JBK
JBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 04:49 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 04:47 AM, WaterShake wrote:

I am still impressed at how amazing Tom Fulp is, keeping himself a part of this website. I am very happy to hear the team is acknowledging these things and continues tobmove forward.

dont meam to be dickriding. but I totally would.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 04:51 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 04:44 AM, TomFulp wrote: The legacy problem with NG is the majority of content is Flash-based so it has never been a smooth transition to mobile platforms. That's all changing over time and with updates to the system but it takes a lot of work and as usual our team is really small. Examples of things we are doing:

(a list of reasonable points that I edited out)

I'd add to that list the necessity of creating retina-ready icons. An increasing amount of consumer-orientated devices feature super HD screens as standard.

I browse this site on either my retina macbook or retina iPhone - as a result the emoticons look blurry, icons look blurry, and buttons uptop look blurry (e.g PM button).

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 04:53 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 04:49 AM, JBK wrote:
I am still impressed at how amazing Tom Fulp is, keeping himself a part of this website.

Ya, I mean if I were to create a revenue orientated website, i'd totally ignore it and hope-for-the-best. Tom's dedication is unheard of.

BBS Signature
JBK
JBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 05:05 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 04:53 AM, WaterShake wrote:
I am still impressed at how amazing Tom Fulp is, keeping himself a part of this website.
Ya, I mean if I were to create a revenue orientated website, i'd totally ignore it and hope-for-the-best. Tom's dedication is unheard of.

I mean bothering to respond within his own community and staying in touch with it. And the the team not just half assing it because they could. Many major websites do not run as well as newgrounds does for these reason. Don't be an asshole.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
Last.fm

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 05:09 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 05:05 AM, JBK wrote:
At 8/21/12 04:53 AM, WaterShake wrote:
I mean bothering to respond within his own community and staying in touch with it. And the the team not just half assing it because they could.

I disagree but ok.

Many major websites do not run as well as newgrounds does for these reason. Don't be an asshole.

Can you show me a list of these "major websites" that don't listen to their users and aren't continuously working to improve the site?

BBS Signature
HomicidialFrog
HomicidialFrog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 05:13 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 05:05 AM, JBK wrote: I mean bothering to respond within his own community and staying in touch with it. And the the team not just half assing it because they could. Many major websites do not run as well as newgrounds does for these reason. Don't be an asshole.

*cough cough* You mean major sites like Youtube? *cough cough*

You've got a fine pair of eyes.

JBK
JBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 05:18 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 05:09 AM, WaterShake wrote:
I disagree but ok.

Many major websites do not run as well as newgrounds does for these reason. Don't be an asshole.
Can you show me a list of these "major websites" that don't listen to their users and aren't continuously working to improve the site?

What did I just say?

Name any faceless website with a massive staff that no user has ever spoken to or seen. If you can't see a difference between what these guys are doing and what youtube or any other is doing then I dont know what to say. Maybe they are successful but they dont give a damn about anyone or even pretend to. They are just massive machines. Yes they work to survive but they dont even humour suggestions.
Maybe if Newgrounds became that massive Tom and staff wouldnt feel the need to make themselves a part of the community but Id like to think they would be the same friendly people they are now.

Last.fm

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 05:29 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 05:18 AM, JBK wrote:
I disagree but ok.

What did I just say?

Name any faceless website with a massive staff that no user has ever spoken to or seen. If you can't see a difference between what these guys are doing and what youtube or any other is doing then I dont know what to say. Maybe they are successful but they dont give a damn about anyone or even pretend to. They are just massive machines. Yes they work to survive but they dont even humour suggestions.
Maybe if Newgrounds became that massive Tom and staff wouldnt feel the need to make themselves a part of the community but Id like to think they would be the same friendly people they are now.

Ok let's go with this:

YouTube

YouTube recently underwent a huge redesign that initially drew criticism from it's users. However, the design was widely praised by leading web-developers and designers as the design drew more focus to YouTube's community elements (see here for example).

By promoting the concept of channels YouTube is improving the experience of their users by helping them get quick (and repeat) access to the content they're looking for. They're also helping their content creators by giving them a more cohesive platform that will ultimately lead to an increase in their revenue, making content-creation for YouTube a much more attractive prospect.

Facebook

Facebook also recently undertook a massive redesign, known amongst users as "timeline". Timeline also drew criticism from it's users initially as it was a departure from what they'd known in the past. But yet again, timeline has been praised by web-devlopers and designers as providing a better experience for it's users (see here for example).

Timeline presents users content in a way that is much more accessible (try accessing posts from 3 years ago on an old-style profile) and also decreases the amount of clicks required by users to upload content. It's much easier to retrospectively add things (e.g school graduation photos) and the side-by-side tile approach allows users to consume more content without doing as much scrolling.

Sorry about typos, wrote this pretty quickly

BBS Signature
Lepy
Lepy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 05:43 AM Reply

Newgrunds isn't a desktop-only website. The only part of the website that's REALLY held back on a mobile phone or tablet is the Flash section, and that's only on iOS devices (I'm just assuming Flash Player works flawlessly on Android devices). Otherwise, every part of the website (the audio portal, the art portal, the BBS) work fine on a phone or tablet. It's not OPTIMIZED for usage on a phone or tablet, but it works.

I'm assuming the staff has SOME sort of desire to keep the site working on mobile devices. When the redesign first came out, the "save info" button and the smiley selection didn't work at all and that's a problem that's since been fixed. In fact, the audio portal actually works rather well on my phone.

Newgrounds can't really make Flash work on mobile devices, but they've made everything else work decently on them. It's definitely NOT desktop-only. It's just not as optimized for mobile as it could be.

Skaren
Skaren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 06:11 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 05:29 AM, WaterShake wrote:
Paragraphs everywhere

Alright guys let's just calm down here, no need to type furiously about something so trivial.

Lepy
Lepy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 06:14 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 06:11 AM, Skaren wrote:
Paragraphs everywhere
Alright guys let's just calm down here, no need to type furiously about something so trivial.

THERE IS A WHOLE GODDAMN LOT OF NEED TO TYPE FURIOUSLY OVER SOMETHING SO TRIVIAL.
The OP was wrong and as a human being we have to make sure the OP is cries himself to sleep over his wretched mistake! May Neptune have mercy on his soul.

WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 06:19 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 06:14 AM, Lepy wrote:
At 8/21/12 06:11 AM, Skaren wrote:
Paragraphs everywhere

"Something so trivial" = something you deem trivial.

Mobile web design is a critical issue for a web-based company. Look at Facebook's stock price. Facebook's stock price is tanking (in part) because it can't monitise it's mobile users.

THERE IS A WHOLE GODDAMN LOT OF NEED TO TYPE FURIOUSLY OVER SOMETHING SO TRIVIAL.
The OP was wrong and as a human being we have to make sure the OP is cries himself to sleep over his wretched mistake! May Neptune have mercy on his soul.

The OP isn't wrong at all. The OP raised the question, he didn't state anything that could be considered "wrong" or "right"

BBS Signature
BizzarroPMP
BizzarroPMP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 09:02 AM Reply

"Heading towards..?"

Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?

NG was around before smartphones and tablets. It's not moving toward anything, and that includes user friendliness, functionality, and the future

Ooooh, sick burn...

Zeppelyn: Since when does the bladder control the "poo poo"?
convict357: Um, you mean you f*ck chickens, turkeys are male chickens.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 09:05 AM Reply

At 8/21/12 08:06 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: No, as it works fine on iPad, apart from Flash.

I don't consider NG to be fine on mobile, there's a lot we need to do to provide a better mobile experience.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds The Desktop Only Website Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 12:56 PM Reply

Tom Fulp speaks.

Anyway, aren't all websites 'desktop-only' then? I mean, regardless of the site it should run better on a desktop, because everything runs better on a desktop. Amirite?