Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 06:04 PM Reply

View Tutorial
View full image

Here is part 2 of my Female Face Tutorial. It was a real challenge to make this tutorial because I don't want to dictate one method of painting. What I present to you in this tutorial is a method of thinking when you color.

Once you learn how to think in basic shapes and understand lighting it helps open your mind to paint. In the tutorial I have divided the face in various shapes as best I could. You can divide to what ever you find easy to work with.

This method can apply to any painting in general. I don't know how much this will help artists with experience. If there's any technique you would like to mention or share feel free to do so! We are here to learn :D

Tutorial: Female Face Painting

Visit My Portfolio to see more of my artwork

DOWNLOAD MY COMIC : http://opelm.com/Comic/book1.zip

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 10:55 PM Reply

Great tut. The piece works beautifully stylistically, but if you're trying to draw a real woman's portrait this way the anatomical problems might make the result unrecognizable. You talk about the nose being your worse nightmare to paint, and it shows- you've just given her a tiny child-sized button nose lower than it should be. Also the neck is a bit on the long and skinny side.

With this kind of front-on portrait, the eyes should be halfway down the head and the nose should end halfway between the eyes and and the bottom of the chin. You have the eyes too low and the nose even lower, so this throws everything else off a bit.

That said, this is a great insight into your painting process and thank you so much for making it!

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 12:52 AM Reply

Oops, just noticed part one. Probably should have posted the critique of the anatomy over there. Oh well.

Looking at your other works, I think you might do well to draw out all of the sternocleidomastoids (the muscles that run from the sternal notch above the manubrium to tuck in under the ears), then erase most of them. In both your images you have them angled off in weird ways- I think it comes from knowing which parts of the body poke out roughly where but not really understanding the deeper anatomy of the bones and muscles under the flesh. It might also help with your habit of making necks super cylindrical and long.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
Izzy-A
Izzy-A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 01:15 AM Reply

why is it so hard

Izzy-A
Izzy-A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 02:53 AM Reply

hair makes things better

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 12:35 PM Reply

At 8/20/12 02:53 AM, Izzy-A wrote: hair makes things better

Great work Izzy! If this is difficult for you then you`re on the right track for improvement. Keep painting! I would only recommend that you add darker tones to define the face. Right now it`s too soft and pale. I think it`s the right time for you to start using a hard brush. I would love to see more from you!

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 12:39 PM Reply

At 8/20/12 12:52 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Oops, just noticed part one. Probably should have posted the critique of the anatomy over there. Oh well.

Looking at your other works, I think you might do well to draw out all of the sternocleidomastoids (the muscles that run from the sternal notch above the manubrium to tuck in under the ears), then erase most of them. In both your images you have them angled off in weird ways- I think it comes from knowing which parts of the body poke out roughly where but not really understanding the deeper anatomy of the bones and muscles under the flesh. It might also help with your habit of making necks super cylindrical and long.

Is it weird that I know what the sternocleidomastoid is lool

Thank you for your input. I did run into some issue when I was making the line art of the image. Sometimes I can`t see what I`m doing wrong no matter how much guidelines I follow - but thanks for pointing out the mishaps, things like that are only seen by others. I`ll keep your words in mind when I make future pieces.

Izzy-A
Izzy-A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 05:03 PM Reply

ok done. Too much work, why can't women just look like men

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 8/20/12 05:03 PM, Izzy-A wrote: ok done. Too much work, why can't women just look like men

LOL well if women looked like men - then the act of love making would appear to be between two men!

On a serious note though I like the shading a lot on this. The only recommendation I can give to you is to make the eye lashes on a separate layer and use a 30% opacity brush with the color black. It's going to make them stick out. You can do the same for the nostrils as they tend to reflect less light. The last thing I can spot is the area between the eyes lacks a bit of shadow best illustrated with this image of David Beckham lol.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:38 PM Reply

Hey I hope you don't mind bumping your thread a little late, but I have been without internet for some days.

Thanks so much for sharing such tutorial, I am sure it will help a lot of artists. Also, congrats on the daily 4th and daily feature awards for the two tutorial parts!

BBS Signature
Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Tutorial: Female Face Painting Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 8/22/12 01:38 PM, Luwano wrote: Hey I hope you don't mind bumping your thread a little late, but I have been without internet for some days.

Thanks so much for sharing such tutorial, I am sure it will help a lot of artists. Also, congrats on the daily 4th and daily feature awards for the two tutorial parts!

Thanks Luwano! If you get a chance to make an image using the tutorials be sure to post it here or even send it to me by PM I'd love to see what people will make.