Asvegren
Asvegren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Game Developer
Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 11:30 AM Reply

Hi all!

I need music for an upcoming game and thought I would ask here.

The game (and the music)
The game is a side scrolling run n' gun game set on the beaches of Normandy (see screenshot below). The music should reflect the intensity of the game. I have envisioned some sort of military drums as part of the music, but then again I am so far from being a musician I probably shouldn't be meddling. If you do want my input, let me know (examples of what I like are available on request).

The game runs for between 3-4 minutes (but will be too difficult to complete in the first run), so the music should be around this length (or a shorter loop). It would also be brilliant if another version of the music could be made for the intro/menus. This version would be a slower and more mellow version of the main tune.

What do I get?
You will receive credits in the game (with a link to your website/NG page/whatever) along with the standard 5% NG audio revenue share (the game will have flash ads in it). In addition, you are free to upload the music to the Audio Portal and allow others to use them in their projects too - exclusivity is not required.

How do I get involved?
Post here, send me a PM or hit me up on skype (my username is asvegren). I don't want to waste anyone's time, so rather than jumping right in it might be more sensible if you provide a link to something similar you have done before. If you do want to jump right in that's obviously encouraged though! Finally, feel free to request a test of the game if it would help you get inspired. It's playable.

Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 11:51 AM Reply

At 8/19/12 11:30 AM, Asvegren wrote: You will receive credits in the game (with a link to your website/NG page/whatever) along with the standard 5% NG audio revenue share (the game will have flash ads in it).

Don't you think that seems a bit low considering you pretty much want custom music? If your game makes $80 in ad revenue (which is more than all but the most popular games make), the composer gets $4 -- barely enough to buy lunch.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 02:07 PM Reply

In addition, you are free to upload the music to the Audio Portal and allow others to use them in their projects too - exclusivity is not required.

HAHAHAHAH

Oh boy, i get a $4 cheeseburger AND freedom!

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 02:16 PM Reply

At 8/19/12 02:07 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
In addition, you are free to upload the music to the Audio Portal and allow others to use them in their projects too - exclusivity is not required.
HAHAHAHAH

Oh boy, i get a $4 cheeseburger AND freedom!

non-exclusivity DOES reduce price... but not to 5%. XD

For a project like this (I assume this is a project with between 1-3 developers/artists/people other than the composer), a rate should be somewhere between 7 and 20%, depending on the length and terms of the project. If you want a full 3-4 minute piece, it will probably be in the upper range of that, but for a simple 1 minute loop, you could possibly pay as low as 10%... for just using a pre-existing work, the rate would probably be around there...

and that's only if you're asking a newer composer on the Audio Portal.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
Asvegren
Asvegren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Game Developer
Response to Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 04:05 PM Reply

I'm not intending to step on any toes! NG does say on the projects page:

Audio tracks default to a suggested 5% of revenue share. You may want to change this to more or less depending on how much you value the audio in your piece. Setting it to zero is generally frowned upon.

This does make it a bit confusing. All the songs in the audio portal seem to default to a CC license, which would mean you aren't allowed to use them in commercial projects without asking permission - but on the same site it implies that it is ok but frowned upon to NOT pay at all!

In any case it's pretty simple, either feel free to ignore me or hit me with a counter offer.

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 05:04 PM Reply

I'll go pro bono. I'm in.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

How about this loop.

• [BD] - Gearing Up
    [BD] - Gearing Up by FixedDeck

Gearing Up

Score
    4.38 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

It was made specifically battle-style.
If interested please PM me for further communication.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 08:56 PM Reply

I recommend 10% sponsor earnings personally. Music takes a lot of time and work, much like any artform. 5% revenue is.. Well, nothing. Lol. Then again, some dont care. I just thought the way you offered everything was pretty funny.

Just make sure to be fair and use good judgment.

CieranArts
CieranArts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 01:19 AM Reply

At 8/19/12 11:30 AM, Asvegren wrote: Hi all!

I need music for an upcoming game and thought I would ask here.

The game (and the music)
The game is a side scrolling run n' gun game set on the beaches of Normandy (see screenshot below). The music should reflect the intensity of the game. I have envisioned some sort of military drums as part of the music, but then again I am so far from being a musician I probably shouldn't be meddling. If you do want my input, let me know (examples of what I like are available on request).

The game runs for between 3-4 minutes (but will be too difficult to complete in the first run), so the music should be around this length (or a shorter loop). It would also be brilliant if another version of the music could be made for the intro/menus. This version would be a slower and more mellow version of the main tune.

What do I get?
You will receive credits in the game (with a link to your website/NG page/whatever) along with the standard 5% NG audio revenue share (the game will have flash ads in it). In addition, you are free to upload the music to the Audio Portal and allow others to use them in their projects too - exclusivity is not required.

How do I get involved?
Post here, send me a PM or hit me up on skype (my username is asvegren). I don't want to waste anyone's time, so rather than jumping right in it might be more sensible if you provide a link to something similar you have done before. If you do want to jump right in that's obviously encouraged though! Finally, feel free to request a test of the game if it would help you get inspired. It's playable.

Hey! My name is Cieran Arts. I am the composer and audio producer of industrial/techno metal project "Greylights". I am looking to compose soundtrack/score/audio for video games, movies, cartoons, ect.
I am willing to do work for free, depending on the workload of course.
You can listen to some of my music at http://greylightsofficial.bandcamp.com/ However, please keep in mind that that music is my personal music taste, and I am highly capable of writing music in all styles.

Please email me at cieranarts@live.ca if you are interested.

NikeTheSword
NikeTheSword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Aug. 31st, 2012 @ 03:02 AM Reply

• Stellarsiege
    Stellarsiege by NikeTheSword

Epic battle theme

Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Loop
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity

I could easily swap the scifi intstruments to more classical here and maybe up the tempo abit?
5% would suffice. If you like it or want me to mix it more, do PM me! :)

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

sbrattan
sbrattan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Music Needed - Intense Wwii Shooter Sep. 17th, 2012 @ 03:04 PM Reply

Hi I am a composer and i specilazie in epic / war style scores so have a look at my soundcloud and I am sure i can create a awesome WWII inspired loops for your game!

http://soundcloud.com/brattanmusic/sets/latestmusic