23i
23i
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Appeal to add genre Progressive Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 01:26 PM Reply

Hello,

As the title states, this is an appeal to the audio forum, community and moderators to add the electronic sub-genre Progressive.

There have been plenty of times when I have sat down with my music and overlooked what I could put out on Newgrounds that would not conflict with the different genres. I often stumble on the issue of my music being throughout progressive. This causes some of the music I produce to never see the light outside my glorious basement*.

I would love to post more music to Newgrounds but I feel limited to the current sets of genres when I'm producing wich leads to this dilemma where I really don't feel like I can actually produce what I want.

That's my argument for this genre, feel free to question me if I've made anything unclear.

23i

*Reference only, not actually basement.

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Appeal to add genre Progressive Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 01:36 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 01:26 PM, 23i wrote: Hello,

As the title states, this is an appeal to the audio forum, community and moderators to add the electronic sub-genre Progressive.

There have been plenty of times when I have sat down with my music and overlooked what I could put out on Newgrounds that would not conflict with the different genres. I often stumble on the issue of my music being throughout progressive. This causes some of the music I produce to never see the light outside my glorious basement*.

I would love to post more music to Newgrounds but I feel limited to the current sets of genres when I'm producing wich leads to this dilemma where I really don't feel like I can actually produce what I want.

That's my argument for this genre, feel free to question me if I've made anything unclear.

23i

*Reference only, not actually basement.

There is a serious lack in genres in the portal, not just in the electro department, but since the redesign, you can add the specific genre your music is apparent to in the tags. That's how I deal with it, anyhow.

BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Appeal to add genre Progressive Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 02:14 PM Reply

^This.

Classical doesn't have any subgenres as all. Heck, 95% of the music in thereisn't even classical. It's easy listening/new age/film-score/electronic-but-put-in-classical-because-it-ha ppens-to-have-a-cheesy-sounding-violin-sample. -_-

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Appeal to add genre Progressive Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 01:13 AM Reply

what about progressive rock? sure is a lot more popular than any progressive electro, that's for fucking sure!

p.s. i am gay

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Appeal to add genre Progressive Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 07:36 AM Reply

At 8/19/12 01:13 AM, midimachine wrote: what about progressive rock? sure is a lot more popular than any progressive electro, that's for fucking sure!

It's gotta stop sometime. There are so many subgenres in electronic music, and all music, that the genre pool would basically be full of individual markings after a while.

Plus, progressive anything eventually gets accepted, turns into mainstream which turns into classical (not the genre, but the time frame)

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
23i
23i
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Appeal to add genre Progressive Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 03:13 PM Reply

I did not want to start an all out agrument of wich genres should be added and whatnot.

Tags are a great way to put your song in the slightly correct genre.

I just wish there was an option that would take your song off the regular charts but still show up as uploaded with the correct genre, you just needed to type it yourself.

Give feedback on different approaches and ideas for the genre problem, that would make it easier to come to an eventual solution to the issue.

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Appeal to add genre Progressive Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 03:27 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 02:14 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: ^This.

Classical doesn't have any subgenres as all. Heck, 95% of the music in thereisn't even classical. It's easy listening/new age/film-score/electronic-but-put-in-classical-because-it-ha ppens-to-have-a-cheesy-sounding-violin-sample. -_-

Folk, contemporary, minimal... But you have a violin playing in your hardcore trance doesn't mean your track is "easy listening" stuff!

And Video Game is a mess. T.T Chiptune doesn't have a genre at all and have to stuck with those MIDI rips!

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Appeal to add genre Progressive Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 8/19/12 03:27 PM, Computer112 wrote:
At 8/18/12 02:14 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: Classical doesn't have any subgenres as all. Heck, 95% of the music in thereisn't even classical. It's easy listening/new age/film-score/electronic-but-put-in-classical-because-it-ha ppens-to-have-a-cheesy-sounding-violin-sample. -_-
Folk, contemporary, minimal... But you have a violin playing in your hardcore trance doesn't mean your track is "easy listening" stuff!

And Video Game is a mess. T.T Chiptune doesn't have a genre at all and have to stuck with those MIDI rips!

All very true. XD

I think someone needs to just make a new genre list and submit it for vote and discussion... or a group of people did that.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature