00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bluebolt Portfolio

985 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Bluebolt Portfolio 2012-08-18 09:41:10

This portfolio is strongly created for the off chance of being scouted and also as a means to stack up examples of how I draw so that others may find if how I work is what thy are looking for. I usually perform character design as it interests me the most, background design and perhaps menu design need the most improvement.

To start off with, I am posting a design which has been improved compared to old versions, though I haven't added any shading or large detail because this is simply a basic drawing.

Obviously I draw in Flash because vectors are easy to animate and change. Also because things drawn in flash are easily used for Flash movies. And yeah, sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

I will be answering questions in this portfolio too if necessary. I will also post old word if any of you ask for it.

Bluebolt Portfolio

Response to Bluebolt Portfolio 2012-08-18 15:08:23

At 8/18/12 09:41 AM, bluebolt wrote: This portfolio is strongly created for the off chance of being scouted and also as a means to stack up examples of how I draw so that others may find if how I work is what thy are looking for.

First sentence in and I'm already unimpressed with this thread :/
As for the character, it's rather bland.

Response to Bluebolt Portfolio 2012-08-18 15:16:49

At 8/18/12 03:08 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 8/18/12 09:41 AM, bluebolt wrote: This portfolio is strongly created for the off chance of being scouted and also as a means to stack up examples of how I draw so that others may find if how I work is what thy are looking for.
First sentence in and I'm already unimpressed with this thread :/
As for the character, it's rather bland.

That's because it's default wear, I'm leaving details out for this start. It was designed to seem as less than extravagant so new thing can be added that appear improved.

Unless you have something productive to say, please, leave the thread.

Response to Bluebolt Portfolio 2012-08-18 15:38:05

Okay, so since productive is a bit vague, this post will be dedicated to expanding on that.

"First sentence and I'm already unimpressed"
What about my opening is unimpressive?
How could it be changed?
A bit late now since I can't edit, but it'd still be useful information.

As for saying this first drawing is bland, ignore that for a second because it's undeveloped.
Before developing it, I want more suggestions on the shape or possible changes in style.

Generally, however criticizing anything at least give suggestions. Those are easily constructive.

Response to Bluebolt Portfolio 2012-08-18 15:59:09

At 8/18/12 03:38 PM, bluebolt wrote: Generally, however criticizing anything at least give suggestions. Those are easily constructive.

You're starting off the thread asking to be scouted. Although it's not direct, you're still implying it. Also, it makes it seem more like this is a thread for you to get commissions and work as oppose to being open to critique.
As for the character, he has no detail, he has no shading, the lines are a bit thick, and the entire figure is just mirrored other than the mouth. It's just overall boring.

Response to Bluebolt Portfolio 2012-08-18 16:15:54

Also it's in the rules to never ask to be scouted or even hint to it in anyway.

Remember that :3
It really damages your chances. You will get scouted if you have at lest 4 pictures submitted that are not a sketch. If it's good enough you will be found :3 Especially if you post your work here and get noticed more.
I'd recommend reading this if you're still unsure Ornery's scouting guide.

Hope this helps ^_^

Response to Bluebolt Portfolio 2012-08-18 16:46:37

At 8/18/12 03:59 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 8/18/12 03:38 PM, bluebolt wrote: Generally, however criticizing anything at least give suggestions. Those are easily constructive.
You're starting off the thread asking to be scouted. Although it's not direct, you're still implying it. Also, it makes it seem more like this is a thread for you to get commissions and work as oppose to being open to critique.
As for the character, he has no detail, he has no shading, the lines are a bit thick, and the entire figure is just mirrored other than the mouth. It's just overall boring.

If you had bothered to read the whole thing, the shading wasn't meant to be added yet since it's just a minor example. In reality though, symmetry suggests any human viewed from the front is ordinarily symmetrical or "mirrored" The character is going to be turned diagonally, as well as showing the back. Then later in a more adept pose, armor, and perhaps developing the ordinary clothing to have some patterns on it, or additional parts such as belts. The shoes were the most obvious to need detail to me though, they don't even have Velcro or laces.

As for lines being thick? I like thick lines. I can draw something without thick lines but I like the bold feeling that they bring out.

At 8/18/12 04:15 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: Also it's in the rules to never ask to be scouted or even hint to it in anyway.

Remember that :3
It really damages your chances. You will get scouted if you have at lest 4 pictures submitted that are not a sketch. If it's good enough you will be found :3 Especially if you post your work here and get noticed more.
I'd recommend reading this if you're still unsure Ornery's scouting guide.

Hope this helps ^_^

Crud cakes. I did not know that... I suppose it'd help if they put that stuff on when I look at the submission and it's all like "you've not been scouted yet", giving no indication of what scouting is or how to be scouted. But now that question has been answered, I guess everyone can disregard the part of the sentence about scouting.

Hopefully.

Response to Bluebolt Portfolio 2012-08-18 16:53:14

At 8/18/12 04:46 PM, bluebolt wrote:
Crud cakes. I did not know that... I suppose it'd help if they put that stuff on when I look at the submission and it's all like "you've not been scouted yet", giving no indication of what scouting is or how to be scouted. But now that question has been answered, I guess everyone can disregard the part of the sentence about scouting.

Hopefully.

I'd recommend getting a mod to block it and start a new thread. People will read the first line and assume you're hinting at it and maybe ignore the rest.

Response to Bluebolt Portfolio 2012-08-18 18:05:53

At 8/18/12 04:46 PM, bluebolt wrote: If you had bothered to read the whole thing, the shading wasn't meant to be added yet since it's just a minor example. In reality though, symmetry suggests any human viewed from the front is ordinarily symmetrical or "mirrored" The character is going to be turned diagonally, as well as showing the back. Then later in a more adept pose, armor, and perhaps developing the ordinary clothing to have some patterns on it, or additional parts such as belts. The shoes were the most obvious to need detail to me though, they don't even have Velcro or laces.

I read that you hadn't added shading and details, but I'm still going to point it out because that's why I found it to be boring.
People are not supposed to be completely mirrored, there are symmetrical similarities, but it's not the exact same on both sides. And you did the entire image flipped, meaning the piece lacks any form of dynamics and it's a really boring composition.