00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Darkshark183 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

On the road to mediocrity

7,164 Views | 67 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

On the road to mediocrity 2012-08-18 07:30:30

Hi, I want to begin a portfolio, I'm hoping that I'll be good enough to submit someday, to... someplace or whatever.
As of right now, I don't feel I'm quite ready for anything, but I'll start by studying a lot so I'll try and make a bunch of updates on my progress.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-08-18 07:57:47

At 8/18/12 07:30 AM, FNJA wrote: Hi, I want to begin a portfolio, I'm hoping that I'll be good enough to submit someday, to... someplace or whatever.
As of right now, I don't feel I'm quite ready for anything, but I'll start by studying a lot so I'll try and make a bunch of updates on my progress.

Dude that's awesome!
Better than some artists on here. When it's finished you should post it on the art portal.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-08-18 15:12:04

So if this is mediocre, I'm really interested in seeing what you consider good :D

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-08-19 09:00:09

Okay, thanks

Color studies

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-08-24 21:21:49

I made alot of mistakes on this one, I just gave up.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-08-25 16:59:02

At 8/24/12 09:21 PM, FNJA wrote: I made alot of mistakes on this one, I just gave up.

I think it looks rather lovely. Keep working on it.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-08-25 17:10:04

At 8/18/12 07:30 AM, FNJA wrote: Hi, I want to begin a portfolio, I'm hoping that I'll be good enough to submit someday, to... someplace or whatever.

You do amazing work on the faces. The limbs could use a little work, but I think almost all artists have some imperfections when it comes to limbs(damn you hands and feet, you are the bane of my existence! lol). I really really love the expressions on the faces you've done so far. It's one thing to draw a face, but to actually show emotion in the face that well means you're well on your way!

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-10-30 12:18:27

Yo guys and female guys I haven't posted anything lately so here's some stuff. You guys are supportive as fuck and I like you and your niceness. Thankyou!

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-10-30 13:40:32

At 8/19/12 09:00 AM, FNJA wrote: Okay, thanks

Color studies

I'm quite jelly, I don't have a tablet and I can't do this kind of thing

also thats a great work of Emma Stone.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-10-30 13:44:57

At 10/30/12 01:08 PM, Escalus wrote: SHAME ON YOU! Thinking that your work is mediocre! D: It's gorgeous! I'd love to see your perspective of "good" art if yours is "mediocre"

In a sense you guys can do beyond what I ever could, you seem so care free and comfortable with your tools, while I either tip toe around hoping I don't fuck something up, I got libraries of drawings that I'm scared to show you guys because I feel there's so many mistakes that at the end of the day I'll just end up trashing it and trying to not get discouraged.

I envy you guys that you can make beautiful art, and so consistently too.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-10-30 13:58:45

At 10/30/12 01:40 PM, ForskinGump wrote:
At 8/19/12 09:00 AM, FNJA wrote: Okay, thanks

Color studies
I'm quite jelly, I don't have a tablet and I can't do this kind of thing

also thats a great work of Emma Stone.

I suggest you do, thing is, it saves you a lot of money when it comes to studying since its all digital.

I used to draw a lot on paper, I mean I still do, but I used to too, and it kinda puts you in a certain mentality when you do it for as long as I have. I got stuck viewing everything in shades of black and white. I never really had any money so I couldn't spend it on paints specially when you are just doing it to study.

I started this thread a month or so after I got my tablet. Trust me if you are really into drawing and junk to spend the cash it will help you immensely.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-10-30 14:46:16

Thank you so much it feels good to be welcomed with open arms <3

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-10-30 14:58:14

At 10/30/12 02:51 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 10/30/12 02:46 PM, FNJA wrote: Thank you so much it feels good to be welcomed with open arms <3
You're very welcome sir. (I'm your first fan if that makes your day any brighter) haha

I'm honored.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-10-31 03:53:45

I started this thread a month or so after I got my tablet. Trust me if you are really into drawing and junk to spend the cash it will help you immensely.

Yeah I've been thinking about it a lot actually it'll probably happen soon, any tablets you would recommend?

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-11-01 02:50:59

I see a lot of celebrity drawings here- I assume they're from photo references. I don't see any problems with your skills here I can help with- the only thing I can think to counsel you to do is to work on polishing your pieces more and getting them to a finished state. What happens when you draw without references?

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-11-03 13:40:29

At 10/31/12 03:53 AM, ForskinGump wrote:
Yeah I've been thinking about it a lot actually it'll probably happen soon, any tablets you would recommend?

This is my tablet.

http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-tablets/bamboo/bamboo-c apture

Its cheap and functional. I'd recommend getting it if you are no nonsense get to the point type of person

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-11-03 14:22:31

At 11/1/12 02:50 AM, lovingthedark wrote: I see a lot of celebrity drawings here- I assume they're from photo references. I don't see any problems with your skills here I can help with- the only thing I can think to counsel you to do is to work on polishing your pieces more and getting them to a finished state. What happens when you draw without references?

Everything I do is just studies I only draw from my head on pencil and paper, I'll try and upload some of those.

But here's a color study, I tried to blend tones. I'm horrible at painting. I'm kind of embarrassed about it

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-11-03 15:59:06

Nothing here is finished, I wanna see something go from in-progress to complete. But my film teacher always used to say "art isn't finished it's abandoned" so maybe let us see something go from in-progress to abandoned then

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-11-04 20:57:24

While I think your art is good, please post some finished works. I would like to see some of these brought to completion as they do look promising.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-11-14 02:57:05

So anybody here play PS3? If you're down to play some BF3 or whatever hit me up. My PSN is Franco_NAJ

And here's some more stuff. I'm really trying to get into painting in color but I'm kind of lost. If anybody has any tips or tutorials you want to share it'd really be appreciated. Well, thanks!

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-11-14 19:44:28

Sketches

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-11-14 19:48:31

old self portrait

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-11-15 01:57:19

I agree with everyone else, all these drawings have potential, and you need to take one or two of them to completion. I'm guilty of this myself, I have tons of unfinished speedpaintings that i'll probably never get back to.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-11-16 23:13:15

At 11/15/12 01:57 AM, Shayl wrote: I agree with everyone else, all these drawings have potential, and you need to take one or two of them to completion. I'm guilty of this myself, I have tons of unfinished speedpaintings that i'll probably never get back to.

Okay, but I guess I'll make portraits. The first five people that post a picture of their faces I'll draw you. In what style I feel like drawing you that day. That way we all win.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-12-14 20:51:17

So I was drawing myself the other day, then I got bored and made myself into a girl because fuck it. And then I was like "that's an empty background"... the pills wore off in the next couple of hours but the damage was done. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-12-15 00:54:30

The skin on your color studies is pretty flat, but that's easy to fix. The color you're using now is good for the lit surfaces, but the shadows should be cooler, like a purple, and the middle range where the light turns to dark should be a little more red. That'll add what 3D artists call subsurface scattering.

A very clear example is, on Emma Stone, the shadow under her chin could be a much cooler purple with a slightly red-tinted border.

Another tip for painting I've recently discovered that will really speed things up is to start with hard edges, then blur if you want them softer. I would always start with the airbrush and keep repainting the same area to eventually arrive at the shadow I wanted. It you start by painting in your colors and shadows boldly, you'll save a lot of time.

A lot of shadows need harder edges than you might think at first, too, so it helps give more of a range to the painting.

BBS Signature

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-12-15 03:34:06

At 12/15/12 12:54 AM, Kajenx wrote: The skin on your color studies is pretty flat, but that's easy to fix. The color you're using now is good for the lit surfaces, but the shadows should be cooler, like a purple, and the middle range where the light turns to dark should be a little more red. That'll add what 3D artists call subsurface scattering.

A very clear example is, on Emma Stone, the shadow under her chin could be a much cooler purple with a slightly red-tinted border.

Another tip for painting I've recently discovered that will really speed things up is to start with hard edges, then blur if you want them softer. I would always start with the airbrush and keep repainting the same area to eventually arrive at the shadow I wanted. It you start by painting in your colors and shadows boldly, you'll save a lot of time.

A lot of shadows need harder edges than you might think at first, too, so it helps give more of a range to the painting.

You're right I have to learn to give my pictures more depth, I'll try to pay more attention. Regarding color though, its from a preset palette from the reference I used and tried to match as close as possible to practice coloring on account of having the eyes of a 13 year old dog with cataracts.

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2012-12-16 03:28:06

At 12/15/12 03:34 AM, FNJA wrote: You're right I have to learn to give my pictures more depth, I'll try to pay more attention. Regarding color though, its from a preset palette from the reference I used and tried to match as close as possible to practice coloring on account of having the eyes of a 13 year old dog with cataracts.

Lol!

I've sampled colors from a picture before too and they just never turn out the same for some reason. It kinda like rotoscoping, I suppose, where the animation ends up looking floaty. Pretty much every pixel on a photo is a specific and special color, so it's probably better to just use the color picker to get an idea where the colors are and then mix your own till it LOOKs right. The main thing I'd say is that the colors are a little under-saturated (too grayed out) so maybe just bump the saturation a bit from what you sample?

BBS Signature

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2013-01-22 01:19:49

Update. Practicing colors straight from my head. Its hard and I have no idea what I'm doing. You can tell what its been inspired by

Response to On the road to mediocrity 2013-01-22 16:30:47

Studies