New Topic Respond to this Topic
DJVI
DJVI
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 05:44 AM Reply

Sometimes I just want to listen to my old songs even though they all suck... :D (Yes, you all hate your own songs).
I just want to know what I've been thinking years ago and how I have improved. Listening to your own songs is a great way to do so. So do you listen to your own music and why?

Newest song: Rippers

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 05:58 AM Reply

I do it for nostalgia really. But never listen to my very first song, unless I want my ears to get raped...

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Jewelz123
Jewelz123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 07:10 AM Reply

At 8/18/12 05:58 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: I do it for nostalgia really. But never listen to my very first song, unless I want my ears to get raped...

Yeah I think the first years worth of music that I made was the most cringe ever! Sometimes its funny to show friends :)

Usually I listen to the latest track a few times for a few days after releasing it. I like that feeling where you know you've made something good and can hear it back. Tbh, I've been doing that for years. Even in the early days, I'd be like WOOP WOOP when listening back to a finished track. I used to like listening back to several songs from different years and just hearing the difference in progress but rarely do that nowadays.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 07:29 AM Reply

At 8/18/12 05:58 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: I do it for nostalgia really. But never listen to my very first song, unless I want my ears to get raped...

This. I usually have a day every 2-4 months where I listen to a heap of my really old tracks for kicks and nostalgia.

TheBustinJeebers
TheBustinJeebers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 07:44 AM Reply

Only to find ways to improve it.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 07:57 AM Reply

I do listen to my own music, either to see what can be improved, or to build up from something that I've already done for another piece (in the case of video game soundtracks where there is a recurring theme).

Sometimes I don't listen to them per se, but the melodies keep reappearing in my head.

AMDG ✝

Troisnyx [TWRA-nix]: Someone from whom you can find wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 08:01 AM Reply

i listen to a little bit of my music every day

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 08:04 AM Reply

At 8/18/12 07:57 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Sometimes I don't listen to them per se, but the melodies keep reappearing in my head.

I find myself humming tunes and then thinking, "what's this song... oh wait, it's mine!"

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 08:20 AM Reply

At 8/18/12 08:04 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 8/18/12 07:57 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Sometimes I don't listen to them per se, but the melodies keep reappearing in my head.
I find myself humming tunes and then thinking, "what's this song... oh wait, it's mine!"

Classic case was today; there was a song I had worked on two years ago (with horrible recording quality, but one could tell I poured myself into it nonetheless). The first full song that came to me at Adoration today was this..........

Sometimes I hear these melodies in my head because at the back of my mind, I tell myself these are songs that I need to improve, or rehash altogether. And yes, I have rehashed quite a few of my old songs. Listening to songs could be mental, I guess.....

Although if our songs give us blood rushes and we need something to give us precisely that, we listen to our own songs on loop -- happens to the best of us!

AMDG ✝

Troisnyx [TWRA-nix]: Someone from whom you can find wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

BBS Signature
DuttonsaysHi
DuttonsaysHi
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 11:09 AM Reply

Well yeah! I don't see why not. I make music that I like, so it's only natural that I listen to it right?

Though it's handy for catching errors that I may have missed or taken a while to notice. But I rarely go back and fix them... I do take the mistakes into consideration for future projects though.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 12:05 PM Reply

I think someone posted a thread about this not too long ago...

I will every once in a while go on a "listening rage" where I'll sit and listen to old WIPs and projects and whatnot for at least a hour straight and just muse over the music (no pun intended). Sometimes I'll dig up an old WIP and arrange it into a new piece.

My Music - Game Dev./Music Tutorials - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 12:15 PM Reply

I do. I listen to my old music to keep track of my progress of what had I improved and what needs to be improved. It's a critical thing to do to keep me in pace with music composition.

At 8/18/12 12:05 PM, samulis wrote: Sometimes I'll dig up an old WIP and arrange it into a new piece.

That's a smart thing to do. I used to borrow old melodies and chords and there was time I reused the same chord for 5 songs straight. It just never gets old.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 12:54 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 12:15 PM, Computer112 wrote: I do. I listen to my old music to keep track of my progress of what had I improved and what needs to be improved. It's a critical thing to do to keep me in pace with music composition.

At 8/18/12 12:05 PM, samulis wrote: Sometimes I'll dig up an old WIP and arrange it into a new piece.
That's a smart thing to do. I used to borrow old melodies and chords and there was time I reused the same chord for 5 songs straight. It just never gets old.

I REALLY wish you both were there when Stunkel posted the thread asking what everyone's first song was. THIS is the kind of attitude I want to see, not people dismissing their first (or early) songs as nothing but crap.

Ended up that BlazingDragon and I had to coax everyone to let them see reason, and they did for a while, but then it was back to "My early songs are nothing but crap" again.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 02:59 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 12:54 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Ended up that BlazingDragon and I had to coax everyone to let them see reason, and they did for a while, but then it was back to "My early songs are nothing but crap" again.

ha,I remember that. I should re-arrange my first song,see what reactions I get.

Anyways,I like to listen to my music. sometimes I just have a certain itch to just listen,and I do. Some of the best pieces I write are some of the shorter,well thought out ones. I do always go back once in a while to try to find WIPs and see if I can arrange them,or even incorporate it into another song I'm currently working on. Many of my songs have at least 2-3 ideas/attempts within them because of this.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
RetromanOMG
RetromanOMG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 03:10 PM Reply

I listen to my music all the time, whether it's from the production process or just playing it while I'm busy. Something that really astounds me about my older stuff (and I apologize if someone has said the same thing already) is that a lot of it has a certain quality that I feel isn't present in my new songs. I know all of my favorite old songs by name and when I listen to certain parts, I say to myself, "I really liked that." My new stuff, even if it's objectively better than the old, is just so forgettable, and I don't care for any of it.

boney-man
boney-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 04:48 PM Reply

All the time lol.

And like other people I also have times where I listen to a bunch of my old stuff for nostalgia haha

#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 05:18 PM Reply

I listen over my music so many times while I'm writing/recording that usually by the time it's finished, I don't care to listen to it anymore... I have a few exceptions though... I have maybe 2-3 songs of mine that I listen to all the time, because they have significant meaning to me.

Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 12:54 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: I REALLY wish you both were there when Stunkel posted the thread asking what everyone's first song was. THIS is the kind of attitude I want to see, not people dismissing their first (or early) songs as nothing but crap.

Ended up that BlazingDragon and I had to coax everyone to let them see reason, and they did for a while, but then it was back to "My early songs are nothing but crap" again.

Ma olda stuffa is crap. Ya shoulda see-a ita as this-a crappy too! Kidding.

I don't like/have the arrogance of boasting on how good/bad is my stuff. Old or new, in the end they are made by me. If you are so shameful on your old stuff, why did you post them then rant about it? Get real, boring ranters/boasters...

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 01:11 AM Reply

Ehhhhh, I don't want to reiterate all my posts from that other thread again. But basically I don't think it's unreasonable to say that your early work is crap,especially if it really is!

I listen to stuff I made in more recent years pretty often, though. Just about everything I completed from the last three years has a lot of merit, imo. Sometimes it's cool to dig up older stuff but I can't say much of it is particularly inspiring, even if it isn't necessarily bad.

p.s. i am gay

MaskedGuardian
MaskedGuardian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 01:43 AM Reply

Eh, not really, because I usually feel really embarassed when one of them comes up (they suuuuuuck!) But strangely, when I do listen to them, they are eerily catchy!

Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 05:46 AM Reply

I personally find myself listening to my own music often. I enjoy making it the whole way through and as a result i keep the enjoyment as i listen to it.

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 06:43 AM Reply

At 8/18/12 05:44 AM, DJVI wrote: Sometimes I just want to listen to my old songs even though they all suck... :D (Yes, you all hate your own songs).
I just want to know what I've been thinking years ago and how I have improved. Listening to your own songs is a great way to do so. So do you listen to your own music and why?

After I'm done, I'm DONE. I don't listen to it at all. On to the next thing.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
descara
descara
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 06:52 AM Reply

Whenever I do - at least if it's decent enough - I still after all this time feel like it's another persons work, and that I'll never be able to do anything like that again. Pretty wierd.

lnitroburstl
lnitroburstl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 12:54 PM Reply

I do it as well. I dunno, it's just a habit, but there is definitely some enjoyment in the back of my mind.

BBS Signature
BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 01:27 PM Reply

I often listen to my own music for a number of reasons.

1) Tracing progress and remembrance
For me, listening to music that I've composed long ago is like visiting an old friend. Almost every piece that I write has some emotional relevance, and I associate different pieces with what I was experiencing in life during the time of composition. Listening to those pieces is akin to reading a diary. It offers me a glimpse into who I was back then emotionally, musically, and otherwise. It also allows me to see how far I've progressed in skill.

2) Finding new inspiration
My oldest pieces were written before I had any significant concept of music theory and form. When I'm stuck in a rut, I can listen to those pieces and hear things that I wouldn't likely do anymore, and those ideas are often refreshing. They came from a time guided by pure intuition. I'm not meaning to knock music theory- I love it and it has helped me tremendously. Listening to old pieces though can reveal chord progressions that I've long forgotten about. It can bring renewed creativity.

3) Completing old works
Often times, I'll work on a project and feel like it's gold. Then I'll get so stuck that I'll move onto something else. Years later, I'll hear the old WIP and think, "Man, that has some potential." With increased skill that has been developed over time, as well as being away from that old project for a long time, I'll be able to complete it and make something refreshing. This is especially handy when I have no ideas for new songs. I can go back and rework old ones.

In addition to all that, I simply like some of my old work. Sure, it's unrefined, unpolished, and I didn't know diddly about mixing (still don't know much...), but there are a number of good, raw ideas. And I write music that I like in a style I like. I can't quite find that anywhere else.

To clarify though, the bulk of music that I listen to is not mine. Every few months though, I'll go on a sudden binge listening to hours of old works.

GamerMan7
GamerMan7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 01:43 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 05:44 AM, DJVI wrote: Sometimes I just want to listen to my old songs even though they all suck... :D (Yes, you all hate your own songs).

Yes, mostly because it brings back memories. Also, I think it helps one improve their productions. You'll realize "Why did I do THAT?! I should have done THIS." Or you can take things you liked about your older style or technique and apply it to what you're working on now.

ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:21 AM Reply

actually i'm mostley listening to my own tracks. not the really old one's ( who aren't even on NG) but all the songs that I put on NG do i actually listen

sometimes i go and sereach into that old folder and listen to my oldest songs

BBS Signature
Thief1337
Thief1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:43 AM Reply

I always listen to my music. Occasionally I will listen something else (known groups/bands/artists). But I always listen to my own music.

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious." - Carl Gustav Jung
Native Instruments' Komplete 8 for free !

BBS Signature
Xyresic
Xyresic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:13 AM Reply

Usually I'll put a track on my iPod when it's around 80-90% complete so I can listen to it on the go and make mental notes about what I need to change and improve upon, as well as what it sounds like on regular consumer-type headphones.
After completion I don't really listen to them a whole lot (certain songs excepted), although I do keep them on my playlist.

bork bork bork

HydroAmbience
HydroAmbience
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Do listen to your own music? Aug. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:37 AM Reply

Yes I do listen my music. You have to preview it before releasing it or publishing it. You have to think what the community likes and if you think they would like a music piece. So basically the answer is yes.