SuperDeagle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-17 14:37:39 Reply

"Here we go again..."
http://youtu.be/6_W2t2ty-SU
If you want an example on how to kill a series, here it is. Yes, trading Ironside for MOCAP and giving him a narration job is dumb and sad, but that's not the true problem I see here.

What I see is destroyed gameplay and story elements. It's too far off from what Splinter Cell was. It really shouldn't be considered a Splinter Cell game at this point. Sam Fisher was never supposed to be a "super-spy." The man was born in 1957 and is just supposed to have a lot of experience.. in stealth.. in the dark. But now we have old 55 year old Sam jumping/climbing around in broad daylight with reflexes on the same level of what I would put Kratos on.

I do believe Double Agent was the beginning of the end of the series, but at least it still tried. Heck, they admitted the reason Conviction turned out the way it did was because Chaos Theory was considered too hardcore and it turned people away from the series.

Yeah sure, change things to make it more profitable, but did it really have to become action schlock? I'm really at ends to consider this the Star Wars equivalent in video games.

What are your opinions? Do I sound reasonable, or am I just blowing it out of my ass?

Wut?

BBS Signature
mrpwnzer
mrpwnzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-17 17:10:04 Reply

At 8/17/12 05:03 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Splinter Cell is a dead series, and it has been dead for a long, long time. Blacklist is just another nail in the coffin, as far as I'm concerned.

Though I don't get how it's comparable to Star Wars.

"Kid's always been a fan of the shadows, not relying on his guns but wits. But that all changed when the Calamity struck. The aftermath led to the result of Double Agent being released, giving false hopes and dreams for the kid's idol Sam Fisher. Fisher's only a shadow of his former self. Least he can hide in it from the kid."

Xbox live: C0n Queso
PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten
Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature
JonnyScatman
JonnyScatman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-17 17:22:00 Reply

At 8/17/12 05:03 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Though I don't get how it's comparable to Star Wars.

I guess because people REALLY hate the prequel trilogy. Enough to say that it ruined the original trilogy or something.

I've never played much of the Splinter Cell games. I did own the first one on the GameCube, only to realize I am horrible at stealth games. I can still see the vast difference in the gameplay.

"Scatman" refers to the use vocal improvisation and nonsense syllables in jazz and hip-hop music made famous by people like Ella Fitzgerald and John Paul Larkin.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-17 17:44:20 Reply

I still very much enjoy the Splinter Cell series and the only issue I have with this one is that gameplay wise it looks almost the same as Conviction. Unless the general reviews for it are lower than a 7.5, I think i'll be picking it up, especially if it has co-op.

Fuck me, right?

Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-17 17:55:56 Reply

At 8/17/12 05:44 PM, Jester wrote: I still very much enjoy the Splinter Cell series and the only issue I have with this one is that gameplay wise it looks almost the same as Conviction. Unless the general reviews for it are lower than a 7.5, I think i'll be picking it up, especially if it has co-op.

Fuck me, right?

Don't worry, you're not alone. I too am still a fan of Splinter Cell, and even thoroughly enjoy Conviction (admittedly, it is easier than the previous ones). When Blacklist comes along, I'll be sure to pick it up as well.

In regard to the OP, no Michael Ironside is a bummer, but oh well. Shit happens. And why shouldn't Sam Fisher have razor sharp reflexes? As you said, he's a man with a lot of experience under his belt, so he would naturally be one of the best, if not the best agents in all fields. He can still be just as stealthy in broad daylight as he is in the shadows, as we've seen, so there should be no concerns about that.

SuperDeagle
SuperDeagle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-17 18:01:17 Reply

At 8/17/12 05:44 PM, Jester wrote: I still very much enjoy the Splinter Cell series and the only issue I have with this one is that gameplay wise it looks almost the same as Conviction. Unless the general reviews for it are lower than a 7.5, I think i'll be picking it up, especially if it has co-op.

Fuck me, right?

Nope, but you see I played Splinter Cell because it was in contrast to MGS a more seriously toned use the shadows stealth game that had a very competitive multiplayer. What they're doing is watering down what it was and turning it into a MW3-esque thing. Simple, low curve, any common gamer can play it. I know they're doing this to expand the Splinter Cell audience, but ya know.. this is just Assassins Creed meshed with MW3. I mean, if you're going to do that then drop the Splinter Cell moniker.

I'm trying to play Thief, not GTA. If that makes sense.

At 8/17/12 05:55 PM, Klobb17 wrote: In regard to the OP, no Michael Ironside is a bummer, but oh well. Shit happens. And why shouldn't Sam Fisher have razor sharp reflexes? As you said, he's a man with a lot of experience under his belt, so he would naturally be one of the best, if not the best agents in all fields. He can still be just as stealthy in broad daylight as he is in the shadows, as we've seen, so there should be no concerns about that.

Trust me, I'm sad about Ironside. But I'm trying to make a good argument to why I'm disappointed at this game, and how the series has went since Double Agent. The reason Sam shouldn't be able to do those things is because he's 55 years old and isn't Gun-Jesus. Let's say he does have skills in day time stealth, we haven't seen them. (Assuming your sticking with the first 3 games.)

Wut?

BBS Signature
SuperDeagle
SuperDeagle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-17 18:12:35 Reply

At 8/17/12 05:03 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Splinter Cell is a dead series, and it has been dead for a long, long time. Blacklist is just another nail in the coffin, as far as I'm concerned.

If the game were an animal, it was shot with Double Agent. It finally bled out and died with Conviction. Blacklist is stuffing the carcass for display so morons can ogle at it.

At 8/17/12 05:10 PM, mrpwnzer wrote: "Kid's always been a fan of the shadows, not relying on his guns but wits. But that all changed when the Calamity struck. The aftermath led to the result of Double Agent being released, giving false hopes and dreams for the kid's idol Sam Fisher. Fisher's only a shadow of his former self. Least he can hide in it from the kid."

lol

Wut?

BBS Signature
Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-17 18:17:42 Reply

At 8/17/12 06:01 PM, SuperDeagle wrote: Trust me, I'm sad about Ironside. But I'm trying to make a good argument to why I'm disappointed at this game, and how the series has went since Double Agent. The reason Sam shouldn't be able to do those things is because he's 55 years old and isn't Gun-Jesus. Let's say he does have skills in day time stealth, we haven't seen them. (Assuming your sticking with the first 3 games.)

While I see what you mean about his age (and personally find it funny how Fisher gets more nimble as he ages), I'm fairly positive the developers at this point said "Fuck it" and somehow made him younger because they can. Comparing his look in Blacklist to the previous Conviction anyway, it certainly looks like he found some sort of Fountain of Youth at some point. The loss of Ironside's veteran, gravelly voice only adds to it. As for his day-time stealth abilities, I'm referring to the gameplay videos we've (well, I've) seen for Blacklist so far. Hopefully I won't eat my words if they force me to call in airstrikes all the time, though, and the devs were just trying to demonstrate all the new things you can do.
All that aside, I'm still looking forward to Blacklist simply because it looks like a fun game, whether they're truly milking the series or not. Sure, it has changed a lot since the first Splinter Cell games, but hey, other games have done the same, so it happens.

SuperDeagle
SuperDeagle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-17 18:27:37 Reply

At 8/17/12 06:17 PM, Klobb17 wrote: While I see what you mean about his age (and personally find it funny how Fisher gets more nimble as he ages), I'm fairly positive the developers at this point said "Fuck it" and somehow made him younger because they can. Comparing his look in Blacklist to the previous Conviction anyway, it certainly looks like he found some sort of Fountain of Youth at some point. The loss of Ironside's veteran, gravelly voice only adds to it.

It's a good point to make and I don't think Ubisoft gives a flying blueberry fuck about this games story and continuity. I haven't for a long time.

As for his day-time stealth abilities, I'm referring to the gameplay videos we've (well, I've) seen for Blacklist so far. Hopefully I won't eat my words if they force me to call in airstrikes all the time, though, and the devs were just trying to demonstrate all the new things you can do.

But it's mainly similar things from Conviction and outlining that this is still an action based game. I know that Ubi has stated that this game is supposed to be stealthy like the originals, but I just don't see it when you're breaking reality to do things.

All that aside, I'm still looking forward to Blacklist simply because it looks like a fun game, whether they're truly milking the series or not. Sure, it has changed a lot since the first Splinter Cell games, but hey, other games have done the same, so it happens.

Hey man, go ahead. You can tell me how that goes, I just don't agree with their new direction at all. I think we've been long overdue for a good stealth game. I'd rather fail a mission by alerting guards 3 times than calling in airstrikes.

Wut?

BBS Signature
SneakyGameBoy
SneakyGameBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Gamer
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-17 20:16:15 Reply

Shouldn't Sam Fisher be fucking old by now? Its as if they keep reversing his age in each game or he just doesn't age at all.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature
TrantaLocked
TrantaLocked
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-18 03:10:31 Reply

At 8/17/12 06:12 PM, SuperDeagle wrote:
If the game were an animal, it was shot with Double Agent. It finally bled out and died with Conviction. Blacklist is stuffing the carcass for display so morons can ogle at it.

I sincerely hope that the game gets above 80 scores so I can laugh at how wrong you were.

BBS Signature
SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-18 04:02:56 Reply

At 8/18/12 03:10 AM, TrantaLocked wrote: I sincerely hope that the game gets above 80 scores so I can laugh at how wrong you were.

It will surely get above 80 scores.The game looks very good.OP's problem is that the gameplay is not like the previous games'. The game alone is very good.Also,why did Sam agree to be an agent in 4th echelon?I remember he said a polite fuck you to Grim in Conviction and left to catch up time with his daughter.

Bitte Nazi mods keine bannerino, weil ich ein Nazi Schwein als ihr bin. Danke schön!

Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-18 05:43:15 Reply

The very fact that they've removed Ironside is reason enough not to buy it.

It would be like making another Halo title and having Master Chief voiced by Tom Cruise.

SuperDeagle
SuperDeagle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-18 13:44:09 Reply

At 8/18/12 03:10 AM, TrantaLocked wrote:
At 8/17/12 06:12 PM, SuperDeagle wrote:
I sincerely hope that the game gets above 80 scores so I can laugh at how wrong you were.

You realize:
1. Those scores mean nothing
2. I'm stating an opinion on the series and giving legitimate reasons why I feel that way
3. I never said Blacklist was a bad game per say. I said it wasn't a Splinter Cell game and in that since, yeah it's a bad Splinter Cell game.

Wut?

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-18 14:12:39 Reply

At 8/18/12 05:43 AM, Shade wrote: The very fact that they've removed Ironside is reason enough not to buy it.

It would be like making another Halo title and having Master Chief voiced by Tom Cruise.

Tom Cruise as Master Chief. That would be funny to hear.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Demonbrunch
Demonbrunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-18 17:21:52 Reply

At 8/17/12 02:37 PM, SuperDeagle wrote: If you want an example on how to kill a series, here it is. Yes, trading Ironside for MOCAP and giving him a narration job is dumb and sad, but that's not the true problem I see here.

I sympathize. InFamous 2 really killed that series for me, and then Prototype 2 removed Mercer's voice and completely destroyed his character, and the new main character was only slightly less stoic than him.

Thankfully, my favorites God of War, Kingdom Hearts, Sly 4, and MGS4 didn't make themselves over. Even Metal Gear Rising and DMC, despite their obvious changes, haven't completely lost the feel of the older games (though, in the latter case, that's more aesthetic).

I'll be honest though - I never contemplated Splinter Cell until I heard a forum-goer say it was better than Metal Gear Solid, and Conviction is what got me to look at the series more "seriously". Hard-boiled, ass-stomping action with a stealthy feel to it, and perhaps, a non-Russian based terrorist plot. A rogue agent taking down his former employers? Sounded awesome. But I had a friend like you, who used to endorse Splinter Cell, who told me Conviction killed the series.

At 8/17/12 05:22 PM, JonnyScatman wrote:
At 8/17/12 05:03 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Though I don't get how it's comparable to Star Wars.
I guess because people REALLY hate the prequel trilogy. Enough to say that it ruined the original trilogy or something.

Even better when you consider the ST:TOR and EU people who couldn't give a damn about the original trilogy and thrive on the Expanded Universe. I had two friends and teachers like that, they were into TOR at the time (they've dropped it since the last I saw them) and one friend in particular just hated everything about the original and the "prequel" trilogies; said the EU Jedi/Sith were much better.

I can edit my signature at will, but I can't edit my post. The hell, Newgrounds?

MiroDK
MiroDK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Programmer
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-18 17:26:22 Reply

This game looks like it's cheaply fun, you know, that game that you play for a few days, finish and never touch it again.

Splinter Cell wasn't really a game about charging on 9 guys armed with assault rifles and killing them all in 3 seconds, but whatever, that's been said enough in this thread.

shit's amazing

BBS Signature
SuperDeagle
SuperDeagle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Splinter Cell: Blacklist "h.w.g.a." 2012-08-18 17:39:55 Reply

At 8/18/12 05:21 PM, Demonbrunch wrote:
At 8/17/12 02:37 PM, SuperDeagle wrote: If you want an example on how to kill a series, here it is. Yes, trading Ironside for MOCAP and giving him a narration job is dumb and sad, but that's not the true problem I see here.

It's sad though because this is stretching over to other games, even if it's not this exact same case. This is a different issue, but I think it mainly has to do with trying to accommodate and please everyone. It's just not fun anymore. It's been hard for me to get into a lot of games for about 5 or so years now. There's no edge or difficulty to any of them. Remember when Deus Ex came out? It didn't hold your hand at all and it was great for it. Now everything's just the same and boring.

At 8/17/12 05:22 PM, JonnyScatman wrote:

To be fair, a better example of a VG version of Star Wars would be Diablo 3. Wanted, high expectations, and... ooops!

Wut?

BBS Signature