Be a Supporter!
dartosgamer
dartosgamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 12:00 PM Reply

I am making a new game called Teenie Cop with a friend of mine in html5. I really want to use html5 because it is going to be the future after it is done. But since newgrounds only allows flash games it seems that I would need to make it in flash.

My question to you is: Is there any word on when we will be able to upload html5 games and if not is there some type of flash wrapper for the html5 canvas

I gave it a shot and for some magical reason all is well. Thank you good sir.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 12:21 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 12:00 PM, dartosgamer wrote: My question to you is: Is there any word on when we will be able to upload html5 games and if not is there some type of flash wrapper for the html5 canvas

I think not, since the markup is different. The heck with uploading on NG.

dartosgamer
dartosgamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 12:31 PM Reply

To heck with uploading to NG you say. Where can I upload my game then and at the same time have people playing it?

I gave it a shot and for some magical reason all is well. Thank you good sir.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 03:57 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 12:31 PM, dartosgamer wrote: To heck with uploading to NG you say. Where can I upload my game then and at the same time have people playing it?

First off, you don't upload a HTML 5 game. Secondly, I dunno, google it bro

kiwi-kiwi
kiwi-kiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 04:20 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 12:00 PM, dartosgamer wrote: I am making a new game called Teenie Cop with a friend of mine in html5. I really want to use html5 because it is going to be the future after it is done. But since newgrounds only allows flash games it seems that I would need to make it in flash.
My question to you is: Is there any word on when we will be able to upload html5 games and if not is there some type of flash wrapper for the html5 canvas

So basically you are asking for a website to willingly let you upload javascript and HTML to their storage and let thousands of browsers interpret them.
Unless there's miracle and someone invents a bug free sandbox where nothing evil can happen, the chances of this coming to pass are about as high as the chances of fornication with a hungry crocodile.
You could ask someone else though, mozilla is pretty big on showcasing what html5 can do, maybe you can find one of their evangelists and ask about how to showcase your work

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 05:01 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 04:20 PM, kiwi-kiwi wrote: Unless there's miracle and someone invents a bug free sandbox where nothing evil can happen, the chances of this coming to pass are about as high as the chances of fornication with a hungry crocodile.

Right. What about jsfiddle or jsbin?

At 8/17/12 04:20 PM, kiwi-kiwi wrote: You could ask someone else though, mozilla is pretty big on showcasing what html5 can do, maybe you can find one of their evangelists and ask about how to showcase your work

I'm also willing to host it, it's not big deal.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 05:59 PM Reply

Don't you need to use flash to put audio in HTML5 files so why use it when you can do everything in flash?

There's Haxe as well.

Steam | Letterboxd | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 04:20 PM, kiwi-kiwi wrote:
So basically you are asking for a website to willingly let you upload javascript and HTML to their storage and let thousands of browsers interpret them.
Unless there's miracle and someone invents a bug free sandbox where nothing evil can happen, the chances of this coming to pass are about as high as the chances of fornication with a hungry crocodile.

- Seperate domain on which the js/html is hosted
- Iframe

Done, I believe.
The bigger issue is that people might still abuse annoying features like alert() or any of the popup-controls JS allows you to generate. Modern browsers allow easy hiding of further prompts, but users still using older browser might get quite annoyed with some spammy submissions.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 06:19 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 05:59 PM, J-Rex wrote: Don't you need to use flash to put audio in HTML5 files so why use it when you can do everything in flash?

Because newer versions of browsers (even IE) support HTML5 natively, there's no need for an external propriety plugin. And no, you can use audio in html5, you can even generate it dynamically at runtime.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 06:21 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 06:19 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: And no, you can use audio in html5

I meant:
And yes, you can use audio in html5

funstorm
funstorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 07:26 PM Reply

I'm working on an html5 game and audio is still a big issue. There is no single file format that all major (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari) support so I ended up having to embed each asset twice (OGG and AAC)... and since audio makes up 80% of my project size that nearly doubles it! Not cool.

Because of that, I think playing it through flash is probably still your best option. For example when Microsoft created a html5 version of Cut the Rope to show off html5 in the new internet explorer, audio is still done through flash on some browsers that don't support their format. If Microsoft can't figure out a way around it on a project who's purpose is to show off how powerful html5 is, that kinda says it all I think.

This is a decent article for more info: http://html5doctor.com/html5-audio-the-state-of-play/

As others have mentioned the usual way to host html5 games is through an iframe. For example on Kongregate or FGL you can add html5 games, but you have to find a place to host it yourself and they just show it in an iframe.

My personal opinion is it will still be a long time (if ever) before html5 games are as widespread as flash games. Too many problems still that need to be solved.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 07:26 PM, funstorm wrote: My personal opinion is it will still be a long time (if ever) before html5 games are as widespread as flash games. Too many problems still that need to be solved.

That's true. But this JS plugin can generate audio on the fly with quite good browser compatibility.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 09:44 AM Reply

At 8/17/12 03:57 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: First off, you don't upload a HTML 5 game. Secondly, I dunno, google it bro

Well, if you really want to get technical, then yes you do upload it.

As for the OP's question, I could host the game that you create, but there would be some conditions. The box that you would upload to has my own website, keeps backups of parts of my computer, etc. etc., so I would have to check over your code. Nothing personal, I just developed trust issues while on my path as a sysadmin.

In short: If you can find someone else or something else, please do. It would save you and I both a lot of time and effort. If, however, there's nowhere else to go, then I can host your game.

Tip: Try googling for hosting services. I got my box and domain name separately (some assembly required) for about $40 a year all-together. It doesn't include an official mail service, but I managed to hack something together and still avoid the junk mail box.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 02:00 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 09:44 AM, egg82 wrote: (some assembly required)

what the

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 05:45 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 02:00 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: what the

meaning I needed to do this:
purchase a box with nothing but the basic starter CentOS (no GUI) on it.
purchase a domain name through DyDNS.
Set up a web server on the box via lampp (xampp for linux)
connect the domain name to the box's IP
configure the web server to hack together my little mail system

did it all via command-line. I'm so proud of myself :D

BBS Signature
NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 19th, 2012 @ 09:04 PM Reply

At 8/18/12 05:45 PM, egg82 wrote: did it all via command-line. I'm so proud of myself :D

Yeah, I'm proud too :)
Seriously, I thought for a second you used Assembly, so I was curious

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 08:09 AM Reply

At 8/19/12 09:04 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: Seriously, I thought for a second you used Assembly, so I was curious

oh, god, no xD

I don't think that's possible, anyway.

BBS Signature
NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 09:47 AM Reply

At 8/20/12 08:09 AM, egg82 wrote: I don't think that's possible, anyway.

Assembly as as low level as you get, so I guess with a team and a year it's doable

Diki
Diki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 20th, 2012 @ 10:05 AM Reply

At 8/20/12 09:47 AM, NinoGrounds wrote: Assembly as as low level as you get

No it's not. Machine code is.

kaiser-d
kaiser-d
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 01:43 AM Reply

HTML5 games can be hosted pretty much anywhere. If you pick up a cheap hosting package you can pretty much do whatever you want with it. There are a lot of disadvantages to HTML5 games currently, however these are shrinking pretty much daily, and the advantages of HTML5 over flash shouldn't be ignored either:
-Your game will be usable on pretty much any device (cough cough, iOS, iPhone, etc) which improves your audience
-Platforms that still run flash do not need to load a third party plugin to run your game, meaning phones, laptops and tablets don't get their batteries chewed up, and all devices retain extra processing power which makes your game run faster overall.
-Forward compatibility is very much better than flash
-You can use server side scripting to transfer data securely from a database much more easily.
-Nobody is going to decompile the parts of your game that you write server-side (php, ruby, java, etc)

However seeing as though Newgrounds is specifically a flash devoted site (with a lot of new stuff recently but still mostly flash), you're probably not going to get your game hosted here. However, if you are good with HTML5 you will probably be much more employable to a web development studio at this point if that is of any concern to you.

FB | Blog
If you ever wondered who to blame for your problems, find a mirror.

BBS Signature
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 04:33 PM Reply

I heard it was coming in August (now), but it's probably late as all the stuff.

NinoGrounds
NinoGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Programmer
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 06:30 PM Reply

At 8/20/12 10:05 AM, Diki wrote: No it's not. Machine code is.

I knew I had this coming

InnerChild548
InnerChild548
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Any word on html5? Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 11:54 PM Reply

the last html5 game i played was sinuous. cheating myself into the high score was too easy.

BBS Signature