Be a Supporter!
Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 08:57 AM Reply

Ok screw the 100 replies. I'm eager to share what I have learned with all of you. Since you have proved to be a more willing community of artist than deviantart to me.

I'll start the tutorial but in the mean time here is the type of image I will be helping you understand.

Please do keep in mind that I'm not a ultra pro artist - I am doing this tutorial because I wanted to share what I have learned and I hope it will help others in developing their skills further. I didn't go to no art school so no I don't have that formal training; most of what I have learned comes from still life studies and various tutorials over the years. I have been given shit on DeviantArt because I never had training from an art school and I wanted to share what I had learned, and now I'm not planning on releasing the tutorial there.

Stay tuned I will be working on a tutorial for you guys.

It has begun!

Visit My Portfolio to see more of my artwork

DOWNLOAD MY COMIC : http://opelm.com/Comic/book1.zip

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 09:34 AM Reply

At 8/17/12 08:57 AM, Blud-Shot wrote: I have been given shit on DeviantArt because I never had training from an art school and I wanted to share what I had learned, and now I'm not planning on releasing the tutorial there.

Wait, DA gave you shit? But DA is the place where 12 year olds draw fan art with crayons and people jerk off to it....

DooDooMeaT
DooDooMeaT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 09:53 AM Reply

I looked at your portraits on ur site.... This is by far ur best one. And im interested in seeing ur tutorial
Do you ever flip ur images while you are working?? It a good way to see errors in the symmetry and errors in general. It has something to with the way we perceive things... Mirrors have been used by artists for 100s of years

Like me on the FaceBook :D

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 10:14 AM Reply

Ok I have completed the line work. I have to write the tutorial down.

I have one concern though. Should I make the tutorial in flash? Otherwise it will become a very long image and I don't know how well people like that.

Below is the image I have created. In the first part I will explain the proportions as best I can, I will show basic shapes that create facial features. I'll give what ever pieces of advice I had picked up along the way when I was learning and share them in the tutorial.

It has begun!

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 10:17 AM Reply

I'll be using red and blue to help establish the steps. Off to work for now!

It has begun!

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 01:28 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 09:34 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 8/17/12 08:57 AM, Blud-Shot wrote: I have been given shit on DeviantArt because I never had training from an art school and I wanted to share what I had learned, and now I'm not planning on releasing the tutorial there.
Wait, DA gave you shit? But DA is the place where 12 year olds draw fan art with crayons and people jerk off to it....

Yeah that's deviantart... Hell people will just repost other people's art with changed color or something photoshopped onto it and people will love them for it.

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 05:18 PM Reply

I don't know how I pulled this off while I was sick but here is the tutorial, i tried to make it user friendly. You may all tell me what you think. Love me or hate me for it; just make it constructive.
view tutorial

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 05:41 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 05:18 PM, Blud-Shot wrote: I don't know how I pulled this off while I was sick but here is the tutorial, i tried to make it user friendly. You may all tell me what you think. Love me or hate me for it; just make it constructive.
view tutorial

Ahh, |Good show my young padawan. Very nice and to the point.
Now, a coloring tutorial next!

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 05:47 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 10:14 AM, Blud-Shot wrote: Below is the image I have created. In the first part I will explain the proportions as best I can, I will show basic shapes that create facial features. I'll give what ever pieces of advice I had picked up along the way when I was learning and share them in the tutorial.

I forgot to mention that, but the neck is WAYYYYY out of proportion, it's too long.
You've got about twice as much neck as there should be.

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 05:59 PM Reply

@kinsei I'll work on it once this bloody sickness leaves me

@johnny ill see what I can so about that, thanks for pointing it out at the time I was drawing I didn't notice.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 06:07 PM Reply

I think the tutorial could be way more usefull if you actually explained why you were doing certain things; the closest you get to this is when you draw the corners of the mouth: Explain & show how turning the corners down makes the character look sad etc. With the eyes you basically just say at one point "look at a picture of an eye to see where the folds are and then draw them"; I don't think poeple should need a tutorial for that.
It's great that you're doing this though.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 06:52 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 06:07 PM, J-qb wrote: I think the tutorial could be way more usefull if you actually explained why you were doing certain things; the closest you get to this is when you draw the corners of the mouth: Explain & show how turning the corners down makes the character look sad etc. With the eyes you basically just say at one point "look at a picture of an eye to see where the folds are and then draw them"; I don't think poeple should need a tutorial for that.
It's great that you're doing this though.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to reflect on the future ones before writing. I'll confess though it was hard to write about some parts of the tutorial, and I found myself staring at the screen going DHURR what do I say here lol

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 06:57 PM Reply

You made the forehead a bit too large, I think. It might look better without such a large forehead.

e.g.

It has begun!

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 06:57 PM, Aigis wrote: You made the forehead a bit too large, I think. It might look better without such a large forehead.

e.g.

Thanks, I think I like this better, she looks like she has the build of an Olympian, it's those trap muscles.
I don't know if I should modify the lineart before proceeding to the painting.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 05:18 PM, Blud-Shot wrote: I don't know how I pulled this off while I was sick but here is the tutorial, i tried to make it user friendly. You may all tell me what you think. Love me or hate me for it; just make it constructive.
view tutorial

very nice tut, plz make a coloring one as well, if youre up to it.

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 07:08 PM, Blud-Shot wrote:
At 8/17/12 06:57 PM, Aigis wrote: You made the forehead a bit too large, I think. It might look better without such a large forehead.

e.g.
Thanks, I think I like this better, she looks like she has the build of an Olympian, it's those trap muscles.

Keep in mind it's not like this has to be your best paint ever or anything, people like me just want to learn the basic concepts of digital painting.

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 08:28 PM, Tomsan wrote:
view tutorial
very nice tut, plz make a coloring one as well, if youre up to it.

I will make one for coloring. The thing is it's going to take some time to create because there are so many steps and concepts to record. Stay tuned though.

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 09:32 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 08:42 PM, Jester wrote:
At 8/17/12 07:08 PM, Blud-Shot wrote:

e.g.
Keep in mind it's not like this has to be your best paint ever or anything, people like me just want to learn the basic concepts of digital painting.

Got it, thanks for the heads up. I'll make the painting part in two separate parts. The first will consist of solely making the gray scale image and the second will consist of adding the color.

BeckyRawr
BeckyRawr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 09:40 PM Reply

It's amazing I love it!
Can't wait to see the colouring part!

And just ignore DA, they are probably just upset they couldn't wank over it or it's not MLP fan art.

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 09:42 PM Reply

If any of you decide to use this tutorial to draw be sure to post your work in this thread so everyone can see what you have made.

Orr you can PM me a link to it.

Here's another image I have made using the same techniques found in the tutorial.

It has begun!

Blud-Shot
Blud-Shot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to It has begun! Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 09:43 PM Reply

At 8/17/12 09:40 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: It's amazing I love it!
Can't wait to see the colouring part!

And just ignore DA, they are probably just upset they couldn't wank over it or it's not MLP fan art.

Thank you! Oh lord you don't know the troll I had to put up with. Finally they had discouraged me from working on the tutorial. However the Newgrounds artist community got me motivated. So a thank you to all of you; it's my pleasure to contribute to this community!