DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 06:17 PM Reply

I don't HAVE a long period of time.
That sounds like a personal problem. Art, any art, isn't something mastered over night, and being an artist isn't something you can take a shortcut on. If you don't want to put in the time and energy, then why are you wasting our time?

Thing is, I plan on using my art for video games very soon. That's why I don't have a lot of time to master all of this stuff. Add to that college, getting my driver's license and a bunch of other major life events, no matter how much I want to, I just do not have the time. I have the time for characters, that's for sure. I will find some way to squeeze practice in, but it's going to take a long time before I have the required free time needed. So, my art posts will be very limited here. It's not that I don't want to practice, time is what's the issue here.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 06:30 PM Reply

Forget the background. Just focus on the character for this piece please. I am practicing backgrounds at some point this weekend, along with drawing my nautical themed character (I promise it will be very unlike anything you've seen so far). Again, please only focus on the character. I didn't want to waste anymore time on this one, because I really need to get a move on.

• Her Realm of Nothing
    Her Realm of Nothing by HiryuGouki

Well...All I have to say is that vote FAIRLY. The focus is on HER, not the background. I couldn't give two shits about what t...

Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 07:15 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 05:54 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Sacrificing small animals on the steps of the Louvre to the gods of art...

I could have...? Why didn't anyone tell me!

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 07:21 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 06:17 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Thing is, I plan on using my art for video games very soon. That's why I don't have a lot of time to master all of this stuff.

Then I don't see you getting much farther in art, much less video games. If you don't take the time to learn it, and master it. then the run will be over before you even started.

So stop bitching and moaning about time and either do the work, and put in the effort, or just gtfo. Many of us have already given you more chances than you deserve. And those of us who are doing our best, and I do mean BEST, to remain civil are running out of patients very quickly.
Or perhaps next time ToaS tells you to leave, he'll be a little more enforcing of his decision

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 07:23 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 07:15 PM, lovingthedark wrote:
At 8/24/12 05:54 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Sacrificing small animals on the steps of the Louvre to the gods of art...
I could have...? Why didn't anyone tell me!

What, I thought you knew. I just haven't done it yet cause I'm banned from France.... something about public intoxication...

which says a lot actually....

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 07:53 PM Reply

So stop bitching and moaning about time and either do the work, and put in the effort, or just gtfo. Many of us have already given you more chances than you deserve. And those of us who are doing our best, and I do mean BEST, to remain civil are running out of patients very quickly.
Or perhaps next time ToaS tells you to leave, he'll be a little more enforcing of his decision

I know what I have to do, I just wish I had more time to do it. Anyways, the scathing review you left was kinda unnecessary, and kinda hurtful in a way, so uh...Don't do that next time. I mean, how would you like it if I cursed and screamed at you, and proceeded to call your art shit? Doesn't feel so good now, does it? I think you could be most helpful by leaving me to my own devices for now. I am one of those people who gets better with time.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 08:11 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 07:53 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I am one of those people who gets better with time.

Well In that case, by time your 90 or so, you might be a real contender for your local grade school art show then, won't cha

BBS Signature
Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 08:21 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 07:53 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
and kinda hurtful in a way, so uh...Don't do that next time. I mean, how would you like it if I cursed and screamed at you, and proceeded to call your art shit? Doesn't feel so good now, does it? I think you could be most helpful by leaving me to my own devices for now. I am one of those people who gets better with time.

omg, these topics are so funny to read. much love Hiryu, youre entertaining. I really wonder what kind of person you are IRL.

not a very smart or pleasant one I bet

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 10:01 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 08:11 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 8/24/12 07:53 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I am one of those people who gets better with time.
Well In that case, by time your 90 or so, you might be a real contender for your local grade school art show then, won't cha

Again, totally uncalled for.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 10:27 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 10:01 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 8/24/12 08:11 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Again, totally uncalled for.

Yeah, your right, that would be such an insult to those future children.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 10:32 PM Reply

Your art as is not up to standard for videogames, so that wouldn't be happening in the near future. Anyway, I made a shading tutorial just for you! I hope you learn from it.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 10:37 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 10:32 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Your art as is not up to standard for videogames, so that wouldn't be happening in the near future. Anyway, I made a shading tutorial just for you! I hope you learn from it.

omfg lmfao. so funny, yet also useful. nice, well done. 1000 internetz for you

but anyway its totally 'uncalled for'

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 10:40 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 10:32 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Your art as is not up to standard for videogames, so that wouldn't be happening in the near future. Anyway, I made a shading tutorial just for you! I hope you learn from it.

BEST TUTORIAL EVAR!!!!!!1!!11

BBS Signature
PatBest22
PatBest22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 11:36 PM Reply

I think I'm adding this to my favorites.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 11:43 PM Reply

I don't know if I've ever told you but I fucking love you.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 06:46 AM Reply

you sir deserve a drink, if we ever meet at a NG meet remind me to buy you one.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 10:51 AM Reply

I am trying my best with the anatomy dammit!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 10:52 AM Reply

Bookmark'd! Thanks for your help! By the way, what settings should I use for the brush? Do you have anything for cel shading? I'd like to do that sometime as well.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 01:59 PM Reply

Dear Everyone:

I have been way out of line as of late. Truth is, I lied about not having time. I then proceeded to not listen to everyone, reposted something only to get rid of the negative reviews and low score (it didn't change much). THEN, I proceeded to attack other artists in their own threads. For that, I apologize sincerely.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 02:00 PM Reply

I would like to add Takopako, nikolaipedrovakaNP, Kinsei, and Fifty-50 to this list of people I owe an apology to.

Takopako for insulting his art

nikolaipedrovakaNP for the same

Kinsei for being a dick and making up excuses

and...Fifty-50, for being an asshole

BBS Signature
Breaktroll
Breaktroll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 03:38 PM Reply

Frankly I'm getting a bit tired of this, and some parts of the art forum are slowly becoming one big circlejerk in my eyes.
If someone asks for help, in a friendly manner, nothing hostile going on, don't just start swearing and flinging e-shit at them. Yes, even if they were annoying in the past, I've seen the other threads. Just start fresh, holding grudges on the internet is stupid.
Give tips, link to tutorials, offer to touch up their work if you want, but being mean and just a douchebag isnn't going to help. It will only provoke the OP and scare them away.
And don't give me the old "well if they can't take it, they should just leave", no they shouldn't. This isn't your website, and I thinking like that only gives the impression that you can do what you want, as long as you've been here for a long time or know most of the people.
Also, it's fine if you give tips about an aspect the OP didn't ask about, but don't suddenly act like an all knowing jerk. 50 is an example. Continously shitting on anatomy, while it's actually fine, together with the proportions, seeing as the subject artwork wasn't meant to be highly realistic anyway. And frankly, 50, I've seen a lot of problems with your anatomy as well, so it's best you work on your own stuff before you start shitting on others.

It's likely that half of the comments here were not fully serious, but when it's obvious that the "victim" (bad word choice, I know) doesn't realise that, you should keep it easy. I just hope this thread won't turn into a lame running joke for 1 or 2 users that keep making "jokes" about it, weeks after most people would've forgotten it. It all just seems very childish to me.

/rant, I guess. I just thought I'd say something that was on my mind.

Try not being a bitch for once, huh?

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 05:08 PM Reply

Also, it's fine if you give tips about an aspect the OP didn't ask about, but don't suddenly act like an all knowing jerk. 50 is an example. Continously shitting on anatomy, while it's actually fine, together with the proportions, seeing as the subject artwork wasn't meant to be highly realistic anyway.

Hey, man. Thanks for sticking up for me. I appreciate it.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 06:38 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 03:38 PM, Breaktroll wrote: Also, it's fine if you give tips about an aspect the OP didn't ask about, but don't suddenly act like an all knowing jerk. 50 is an example. Continously shitting on anatomy, while it's actually fine, together with the proportions, seeing as the subject artwork wasn't meant to be highly realistic anyway. And frankly, 50, I've seen a lot of problems with your anatomy as well, so it's best you work on your own stuff before you start shitting on others.

Yeah, I'm very guilty about that. I never claimed that my anatomy was flawless, and I'm very aware that my art is nowhere near perfect. But that's not the problem. I really find it tiring that Hiryu is asking the same question over and over again. We already gave him the answer he needs, free of insults, again and again. Did he take our advice? Did he even consider that we were only trying to help him? Fuck no. He would ask for advice, but still go his way, ignoring the advice he asked for. A prime example of this would be KInsei.

We were all wrong, especially me, for being a self-righteous asshole. I must remember, whenever I run across any of Hiryu's threads. I'll make sure to turn around, and proceed the other way. Frankly, I think Hiryu would never change especially with all his delusions.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 08:09 PM Reply

We were all wrong, especially me, for being a self-righteous asshole. I must remember, whenever I run across any of Hiryu's threads. I'll make sure to turn around, and proceed the other way. Frankly, I think Hiryu would never change especially with all his delusions.

I hear ya bro. No need to stop commenting on my threads though.

BBS Signature
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 25th, 2012 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 03:38 PM, Breaktroll wrote: Frankly I'm getting a bit tired of this, and some parts of the art forum are slowly becoming one big circlejerk in my eyes.
If someone asks for help, in a friendly manner, nothing hostile going on, don't just start swearing and flinging e-shit at them. Yes, even if they were annoying in the past, I've seen the other threads. Just start fresh, holding grudges on the internet is stupid.
Give tips, link to tutorials, offer to touch up their work if you want, but being mean and just a douchebag isnn't going to help. It will only provoke the OP and scare them away.
And don't give me the old "well if they can't take it, they should just leave", no they shouldn't. This isn't your website, and I thinking like that only gives the impression that you can do what you want, as long as you've been here for a long time or know most of the people.
Also, it's fine if you give tips about an aspect the OP didn't ask about, but don't suddenly act like an all knowing jerk. 50 is an example. Continously shitting on anatomy, while it's actually fine, together with the proportions, seeing as the subject artwork wasn't meant to be highly realistic anyway. And frankly, 50, I've seen a lot of problems with your anatomy as well, so it's best you work on your own stuff before you start shitting on others.

It's likely that half of the comments here were not fully serious, but when it's obvious that the "victim" (bad word choice, I know) doesn't realise that, you should keep it easy. I just hope this thread won't turn into a lame running joke for 1 or 2 users that keep making "jokes" about it, weeks after most people would've forgotten it. It all just seems very childish to me.

/rant, I guess. I just thought I'd say something that was on my mind.

I noticed this back when I was more active before. It was one of the reasons I left. I've long forgotten most of what was said though, since I have a bad memory, but I do remember there being a general bad attitude. But it does seem a heck of a lot worse. But at times it does seem deserved. The OP has his moments where he does say some rude things himself. Now I haven't been back long, so there may be more going on than what I know, but for the most part I have seen attacks from both sides that were uncalled for and I have also seen some self defense type posts as well(or posts in defense of someone else). But, being a mom of two young kids, I have this to say. If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all! My 7 year old and 5 year old know this, how don't many of the grown adults here not know this? I'm fighting a migraine so I hope I make sense, but I'd really like to just see people stop insulting one another, keep their mouths shut, and just critique in a nice manner. If someone doesn't want to take your advice, then it's their loss and they will never improve. If someone's being over critical then it's no skin off your back either and you will be able to tell when it's going on by the critiques of other posters/artists.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 01:39 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 09:20 PM, Abbyka wrote:

But at times it does seem deserved.

^this, considering what he says and does in his posts including this one, nothing that has been said is even remotely out of line imo.

then he goes on apologizing again in a way that makes me cringe and then the next post he cocky as fuck again. everything said here is well within the lines of decency. He is also an EXTREME hypocrite and that needs to be punished, and by punished I mean harsh words may be used. He isnt a troll, he is just a very unpleasant person. personally I like his posts in this forum they are quite entertaining.

This is, as far as I know, still a pretty youthful platform and the moment things get to boring and no one would shut guys like this up (including it being frowned upon if someone would try to) I would look for some place else. again I think the way he is handled is very decent considering.

Your 'I am a mommy and my kids are wiser then you' reference makes no sense to me at all. I am all for keeping the peace and not letting a forum turn into a clusterfuck of trolls and haters, but if no-one is gonna say anything he will not learn/realize he's an idiot. I have been 'punished' on stupid posts in the past multiple times and often enough it was deserved, I learned from that, definitely.

So without trying to be a dick; can I deduce from your post that if one of your kids is being a douche the other one should not say anything about it since (s)he has nothing good to say? thats retarded, I will call on ALL my friends if they are acting stupid and I expect that they would do the same if I would. its how you learn and progress as an individual. Also boys will be boys and are always a tad more direct in such situations.

Again I see nothing done wrong here. not even borderline, but thats personal I guess.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 01:51 PM Reply

At 8/25/12 09:20 PM, Abbyka wrote: I noticed this back when I was more active before. It was one of the reasons I left. I've long forgotten most of what was said though, since I have a bad memory, but I do remember there being a general bad attitude.

If you're gonna start dredging up the past, it looks like you stopped posting because you decided to use the art forum lounge as a place to submit your art, and that you were apparently "yelled at", where I see nothing of the sort.

I'm always concerned about people having a bad attitude, but in this case I think you're interpreting people's posts too savagely.

BBS Signature
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 02:27 PM Reply

At 8/26/12 01:51 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 8/25/12 09:20 PM, Abbyka wrote: I noticed this back when I was more active before. It was one of the reasons I left. I've long forgotten most of what was said though, since I have a bad memory, but I do remember there being a general bad attitude.
If you're gonna start dredging up the past, it looks like you stopped posting because you decided to use the art forum lounge as a place to submit your art, and that you were apparently "yelled at", where I see nothing of the sort.

I'm always concerned about people having a bad attitude, but in this case I think you're interpreting people's posts too savagely.

It wasn't the lounge thread that made me feel unwelcome. It was when I started posting my art, in MY thread as was told, but was getting a few people telling me it "wasn't a personal thread" that made me feel unwelcome. That is the attitude I am talking about. And thanks for reminding me why I left. It's one thing to let someone know about the rules, but another thing to tell them they're still doing it wrong when they are not(telling me I couldn't make my thread my personal art thread).

ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 02:40 PM Reply

If a user tells you you're doing something wrong and you don't think you are, PM a mod. If a mod tells you you're doing something wrong and you don't think you are, you're probably wrong.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 26th, 2012 @ 02:49 PM Reply

At 8/26/12 02:40 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: If a user tells you you're doing something wrong and you don't think you are, PM a mod. If a mod tells you you're doing something wrong and you don't think you are, you're probably wrong.

The fact that I have to even contact a mod for something as simple as "is this my personal thread or not" is kind of sad though. And would a mod post their ruling so people wouldn't continue to harp on it? That was my main problem. I understood the lounge thing, but as soon as I started posting in a thread I figured was all mine I still got people complaining and I was too paranoid about making a new thread that would be considered more spamming.