New Topic Respond to this Topic
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Is This Good Shading? Aug. 16th, 2012 @ 11:25 PM Reply

I want some comments on the shading of this piece. It's only a preview, and it's not done, but any advice you could give for let's say, the feathers, that would be very helpful!

Is This Good Shading?

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 01:08 AM Reply

Is the shading any good?

In a short answer, no. In a one word letter longer than the last answer, hell no.

The biggest issue is you have light bouncing all over the place.
I've illustrated some of the multiple light sources you have in your picture. Their is no consistency.
For the most part, your only going to need one Key light. And if you feel that isn't enough Try looking in to basic Three Point Lighting.
Those two should solve most of your basic lighting situations. Get those down before worrying about anything more fancy.

You want some other advice? Stop making threads for every damn little thing. Its annoying. Since the mods are obviously being as nice as they can, I'm sure pushing your luck with all these little threads isn't going to raise your standing with anyone. So Pick a thread and stick to it.

Is This Good Shading?

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 02:19 AM Reply

At 8/17/12 01:08 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Is the shading any good?

In a short answer, no. In a one word letter longer than the last answer, hell no.

The biggest issue is you have light bouncing all over the place.
I've illustrated some of the multiple light sources you have in your picture. Their is no consistency.
For the most part, your only going to need one Key light. And if you feel that isn't enough Try looking in to basic Three Point Lighting.
Those two should solve most of your basic lighting situations. Get those down before worrying about anything more fancy.

You want some other advice? Stop making threads for every damn little thing. Its annoying. Since the mods are obviously being as nice as they can, I'm sure pushing your luck with all these little threads isn't going to raise your standing with anyone. So Pick a thread and stick to it.

That's some damn good advice. That was inciteful for me as well.

But yeah like he said. If you want to get better at shading you need to start with some a lot more simple and go from there. Using references to figure out how light and shadows cast across figures helps a lot too.

Really complicated wings are going to be hell to shade well if your still trying to figure out how to shade.

DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 07:22 AM Reply

I appreciate you trying to help, but please don't curse at me. I'm not doing anything wrong.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature
Ludic
Ludic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 08:32 AM Reply

At 8/17/12 07:22 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
I appreciate you trying to help, but please don't curse at me. I'm not doing anything wrong.

Aside from the shading and not sticking to one thread?

Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 08:44 AM Reply

I think shading is the least of your problems, since you still haven't been able to correct your anatomy. It still needs some serious work.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 09:50 AM Reply

At 8/17/12 08:44 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I think shading is the least of your problems, since you still haven't been able to correct your anatomy. It still needs some serious work.

So you say.

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 11:06 AM Reply

At 8/17/12 09:50 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 8/17/12 08:44 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I think shading is the least of your problems, since you still haven't been able to correct your anatomy. It still needs some serious work.
So you say.

Yes.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 11:17 AM Reply

At 8/17/12 07:22 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:

whas a matta, poor baby can't handle some bad words, daww, I'm sworry I'll be sure to try and be nwice to you widdle childwren.

fucking kids these days.

BBS Signature
Archil
Archil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 11:38 AM Reply

SIGH
Take it easy, people!
Anyhow. The sketch is nice. but you really need to work harder on the shadings (you can start at the COLORS etc.)
Try reading any tutorials or something.

Vonschlippe
Vonschlippe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 12:58 PM Reply

So you say.

No, it's true.

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 01:20 PM Reply

So you say.

Yeah you do...

I do too (which is why I mostly do paintings of faces).

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 02:21 PM Reply

I think what poeple are trying to tell you is that it's no real use knowing how to shade if you don't know where to shade (or something along those lines). i.e. If you understand anatomy you'll get a better grip on which areas are light/dark.
That being said, if you want to practice shading you should start doing so on simple objects; cubes, balls, cylinders. After that you move on to more complex shapes suchs as fruit or some simple still life after that you can start on human figures.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 17th, 2012 @ 02:27 PM Reply

The anatomy thing, I won't comment on. But c'mon guys let's not be selective with our standards. srsly. You can't hold some artists to a standard and excuse others.

I would suggest doing some digital paintings. Pick out some photographs of simple, solid objects with strong light and do a speedpaint of it. Use a hard brush on 100% opacity. Don't worry about blending, just worry about getting the light shapes and shadow shapes.

Note the word "shapes". Where you're failing here is you're not understanding that lighting isn't always this soft gradient of shadow on round objects. Light and shadow both form strong shapes depending on the surface and direction of light.

Observe the work of Craig Mullins, Jamie Jones and other concept artists. They don't really ever use lines. Not that you need to stop using lines or anything, but you'll know your shading is good when you can convey an object with just values (shadows/lights).

Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 18th, 2012 @ 02:56 AM Reply

Gonna have to agree with Kinsei, the lighting looks too forced, as if she's posing for a photoshoot with a million strobe lights.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 12:59 AM Reply

• The Creek of Styx
    The Creek of Styx by HiryuGouki

Dear Christians: If this image offends, OH FREAKIN' WELL!!! DEAL WITH IT!!! So yeah...How's your day been? Lovely, I hope.

Score
    1.888888889 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Here's the finished product.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 12:59 AM Reply

Referring to your finished product. You should have kept coming back for advice.

BBS Signature
aoisgd
aoisgd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 01:00 AM Reply

At 8/24/12 12:59 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/hiryugouki/the-creek-of-s tyx
Here's the finished product.

i don't know man , i found it good but not awesome , i think it need something , but good work anyways (i can barely paint a drawing ,so,in that part i can say anything about it )

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 01:11 AM Reply

At 8/24/12 12:59 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Referring to your finished product. You should have kept coming back for advice.

Well shit, that didn't take long. Its gotta be a new personal best time for you gouki.

Is This Good Shading?

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 01:18 AM Reply

At 8/24/12 01:11 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 8/24/12 12:59 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Referring to your finished product. You should have kept coming back for advice.
Well shit, that didn't take long. Its gotta be a new personal best time for you gouki.

I'm going to re-upload it with a different background. I'm going to give it another shot. Any tutorials on water DRAWING?

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 01:22 AM Reply

At 8/24/12 01:18 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: Any tutorials on water DRAWING?

Take your Pick

I'm liking this one to start with

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 01:24 AM Reply

At 8/24/12 01:22 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Take your Pick

While I'm working on this one, I'll draw another sketch of a character I have had in my head for about a week that HAS to come out now.

BBS Signature
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 03:08 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 01:24 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 8/24/12 01:22 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Take your Pick

While I'm working on this one, I'll draw another sketch of a character I have had in my head for about a week that HAS to come out now.

try landscape painting, you learn alot about diverse lighting and understanding the whole composition.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
Abbyka
Abbyka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 03:21 PM Reply

*sigh* Now I'm remembering why I disappeared off the NG forums months ago.

Anyways, some nice calm and completely polite advice. I find the shading is a little too light. Maybe it's just my computer, but many parts are barely visible. I'm not great with shading myself though, and still learning to do it properly digitally, so this might not be the best critique/advice.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 05:22 PM Reply

wtf happened? there were other posts in this thread? I never saw mods delete a bunch of posts in a thread without the thread being locked/deleted. didnt even know it was possible.

funny stuff

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 05:43 PM Reply

try landscape painting, you learn alot about diverse lighting and understanding the whole composition.

I'll do both instead. I need to draw this character. Furthermore, what's the quickest way to learn landscapes?

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 05:43 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Furthermore, what's the quickest way to learn landscapes?

Sacrificing small animals on the steps of the Louvre to the gods of art...

That or actually studying and practicing for a long periods of time.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 06:03 PM Reply

I don't HAVE a long period of time.

BBS Signature
DragonPunch
DragonPunch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 06:05 PM Reply

You know what? Fuck it. I'll just post the character instead. I don't have time to waste on a background.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is This Good Shading? Aug. 24th, 2012 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 8/24/12 06:03 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
I don't HAVE a long period of time.

That sounds like a personal problem. Art, any art, isn't something mastered over night, and being an artist isn't something you can take a shortcut on. If you don't want to put in the time and energy, then why are you wasting our time?

BBS Signature