New Topic Respond to this Topic
DevinArcane
DevinArcane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-13 23:55:41 Reply

Is anyone on NG BBS legally savvy enough to inform on how I can make sure my family doesn't get any of my cash after I die?

I know about wills. I was thinking that I could write in my wall that I want all of my proceeds (I'm going to be a published writer) to go to charities, as opposed to my family receiving a cut of the profits, but I think there are ways around that, such as kids.
I'm not sure any legal system in the USA would seriously deny my children beneficiaries, despite what I say in the will.

However, do you know if there's a way around even THAT? Thanks.

My power is the only power.

satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-13 23:56:58 Reply

Massacre all of your relatives.

(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 48
Artist
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-13 23:57:44 Reply

Don't have children.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-13 23:58:38 Reply

Published writer. Has petty issues whining about family.
Legit.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
ThePhantomGamer
ThePhantomGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:00:07 Reply

In your will, put down that they won't get anything, and they're legally made sure they get nothing.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:01:04 Reply

At 8/13/12 11:58 PM, daethdrain wrote: Donate it all to charity. Or don't have kids and outlive any of your current family members. I'm pretty sure it's as easy as not putting them on the will or making a special request that they don't receive anything.

It is very easy, anyone with any intellect knows that, which is even more funny for someone who thinks they are intelligent to need to ask it.

BBS Signature
IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:02:24 Reply

At 8/13/12 11:55 PM, DevinArcane wrote: (I'm going to be a published writer)

Lol. Don't worry, you won't have any money for your family to get. You'll be lucky if you leave enough to bury you.

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:04:06 Reply

Easy, lawyer up and will that shit before they can try to fight it by saying you weren't of a sound mind. Make sure you cover absolutely everything. Make sure you die after your kids are no longer minors. If you have a spouse though, that is a lot harder to pull off.

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
DevinArcane
DevinArcane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:04:35 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:01 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 8/13/12 11:58 PM, daethdrain wrote: Donate it all to charity. Or don't have kids and outlive any of your current family members. I'm pretty sure it's as easy as not putting them on the will or making a special request that they don't receive anything.
It is very easy, anyone with any intellect knows that, which is even more funny for someone who thinks they are intelligent to need to ask it.

In particular, I'm asking if there's a way around making sure my kids don't get money, because I know common ethics would ensure that they do.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:04:43 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:02 AM, IncendiaryProduction wrote:
At 8/13/12 11:55 PM, DevinArcane wrote: (I'm going to be a published writer)
Lol. Don't worry, you won't have any money for your family to get. You'll be lucky if you leave enough to bury you.

I am sure he will be hating the fact they will care to go to his funeral.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:06:01 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:04 AM, DevinArcane wrote: In particular, I'm asking if there's a way around making sure my kids don't get money, because I know common ethics would ensure that they do.

You really don't understand the concept of a will, do you?

BBS Signature
DevinArcane
DevinArcane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:11:14 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:06 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 8/14/12 12:04 AM, DevinArcane wrote: In particular, I'm asking if there's a way around making sure my kids don't get money, because I know common ethics would ensure that they do.

I do, but Linda Lee Caldwell was able to get a piece of Bruce Lee's estate even though he didn't put her or her children in it (he signed Concord Productions and it's proceeds over to Warner Bros). I am sure she was able to do this because of his children.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:14:38 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:11 AM, DevinArcane wrote:
At 8/14/12 12:06 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
I do, but Linda Lee Caldwell was able to get a piece of Bruce Lee's estate even though he didn't put her or her children in it (he signed Concord Productions and it's proceeds over to Warner Bros). I am sure she was able to do this because of his children.

Or because Bruce didn't have a sociopathic agenda against his family and didn't explicitly state to leave nothing to his family in his will. If you don't specifically appropriate it otherwise the estate will go to family.

IncendiaryProduction
IncendiaryProduction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:16:58 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:14 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: Or because Bruce didn't have a sociopathic agenda against his family and didn't explicitly state to leave nothing to his family in his will.

Uh... yeah. OP, why exactly do you hate your family?

A merry heart does good like a medicine; but a broken spirit dries the bones. Proverbs 17:22
"It's not gay because we're bros." - Gobblemeister

BBS Signature
GhostOfHalloween
GhostOfHalloween
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:22:20 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:16 AM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: Uh... yeah. OP, why exactly do you hate your family?

why do you assume he hates his family?

he wants his money to go to a charity instead of propagating nepotism

it's pretty noble, imo

wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:44:14 Reply

If you don't have a will, anything to your name will go to a probate court for anyone with some sort of claim to it to argue for ownership. If you want to guarantee that nobody will get a chance to claim any of your estate, then simply get a certified will saying "nobody related to me gets any rights to my belongings after my death," and then all your shit will go to the state. Then of course if your family is into auctions, they might get your stuff that way.

I'm not sure why you would care, what with you being dead and all by that point.

BBS Signature
ClearlyConfused
ClearlyConfused
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:44:15 Reply

Its called Legalzoom.com you poop. You can get it all done for like $30.

BBS Signature
Cool-Points
Cool-Points
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 00:48:57 Reply

At 8/13/12 11:55 PM, DevinArcane wrote: However, do you know if there's a way around even THAT? Thanks.

why would you want to donate everything you have instead of giving it to your kids? you're a piece of shit.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 01:05:34 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:48 AM, Cool-Points wrote:
At 8/13/12 11:55 PM, DevinArcane wrote: However, do you know if there's a way around even THAT? Thanks.
why would you want to donate everything you have instead of giving it to your kids? you're a piece of shit.

Yeah. Are they supposed to pay for your funeral out of pocket?

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 01:09:25 Reply

At 8/14/12 01:05 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 8/14/12 12:48 AM, Cool-Points wrote:
Yeah. Are they supposed to pay for your funeral out of pocket?

If his children respect him they will care more about the funeral than his heritage.

(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 19:21:21 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:48 AM, Cool-Points wrote: why would you want to donate everything you have instead of giving it to your kids? you're a piece of shit.

Maybe because he wants them to actually pave their own way instead of just being mooches?

BBS Signature
Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 19:23:38 Reply

Getting back at your parents for telling you to take care of yourself when you were old enough to do so? You rebel.

BBS Signature
Razz
Razz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 19:27:35 Reply

Years back a woman sent all her worldly possessions to her dog within her will. The children fought legally after she died, because that's fucked up. There's a specific word for this case. I forget it though. You're expected to leave behind something for those who were close to you, and it can be fought legally for them to get such.

Pretty much, you're fucked.

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 19:30:16 Reply

At 8/14/12 07:27 PM, Razz wrote: Years back a woman sent all her worldly possessions to her dog within her will. The children fought legally after she died, because that's fucked up. There's a specific word for this case. I forget it though. You're expected to leave behind something for those who were close to you, and it can be fought legally for them to get such.

No, at least in the US, you are not expected to leave anything behind to any single group in particular, barring dependents. If I wanted to, I could give every single thing I wanted to to a billionaire and they'd get it. The only way to fight is if they argue that I was not in sound mind when I made it, which is usually the case whenever somebody leaves everything to something such as a pet and not a person, group, or what have you.

Not true whatsoever.

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 23:43:05 Reply

At 8/14/12 07:21 PM, RacistBassist wrote:
At 8/14/12 12:48 AM, Cool-Points wrote: why would you want to donate everything you have instead of giving it to your kids? you're a piece of shit.
Maybe because he wants them to actually pave their own way instead of just being mooches?
At 8/14/12 12:22 AM, GhostOfHalloween wrote:
At 8/14/12 12:16 AM, IncendiaryProduction wrote: Uh... yeah. OP, why exactly do you hate your family?
why do you assume he hates his family?

he wants his money to go to a charity instead of propagating nepotism

it's pretty noble, imo

These are two pretty smart posts I think other people in this thread have just jumped to anger and assumed things about the OP and have tried to picture him as being sociopathic and etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 23:48:51 Reply

At 8/14/12 11:43 PM, Halberd wrote: These are two pretty smart posts I think other people in this thread have just jumped to anger and assumed things about the OP and have tried to picture him as being sociopathic and etc.

I suppose so but he still hasn't explained why he hates his family so much.

T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-14 23:50:20 Reply

At 8/14/12 07:27 PM, Razz wrote: Years back a woman sent all her worldly possessions to her dog within her will.

Yeah, but I'm sure giving your money to charity will sound a lot more sane than giving it to your dog.

SomeTurtle
SomeTurtle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-15 00:31:09 Reply

At 8/13/12 11:58 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Published writer. Has petty issues whining about family.
Legit.

So you know they are petty how? He doesn't state his reasoning nor does he have to. So your assumptions and description are completely unmerited. Now in the future, I know it may be hard, avoid being a prick for no reason. If you only seek to bash the OP, you have the option to not reply.

@OP
I'm not really sure, the only way I can think of is a will, I don't think there is much a family could do if it goes against a will of a person.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-15 13:21:05 Reply

At 8/14/12 01:09 AM, satanbrain wrote:
At 8/14/12 01:05 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Yeah. Are they supposed to pay for your funeral out of pocket?
If his children respect him they will care more about the funeral than his heritage.

If he doesn't settle his debts and pay for his funeral before dying he is a complete dick. Like oh not only does his family get nothing, but they have to spend a bunch of money on him too? Ridiculous.

At 8/15/12 02:06 AM, CockGobbler wrote: Accepting inheritance doesn't make you a moocher, I sure hope you don't actually mean that. It helps pay for the funeral and other costs that go along with death, and of course it is always nice if you have something important that you couldn't quite afford.

Very much this. I'll use my mom as an example. Worked her whole life and raised her kids. Got a little money from inheritances. Used some of it to get something nice for herself, like a laptop. Wow, man, my mom is such a mooch. Yeah, totally, that's exactly how to use that word properly. Dumbass.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Minion777
Minion777
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Making sure my family gets $0 2012-08-15 13:39:10 Reply

At 8/14/12 12:22 AM, GhostOfHalloween wrote:
propagating nepotism

Holy shit, it's like you're some sort of cartoon character. It's crazy.

Monster Count: 2999 - Countdown to 3000
DO ANY OF YOU BOYS LIVE IN VIRGINIA?!

BBS Signature