00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

half life is the worst fps series.

4,894 Views | 52 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-15 03:05:55

you should try countrt strike. half life is just like a copied one

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-15 08:58:55

Its so not the WORST Fps series I'm sure you are just overexaggerating your thoughts

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-15 09:21:46

I honestly am not a fan of the Half-Life series. I played Half-Life 2 and it just felt really generic. I don't know why people were saying "game of the decade" and stuff like that. It wasn't bad, I was just unimpressed.

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-16 07:08:24

At 8/13/12 11:01 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: 1: there's not enough gore when you kill enemies, that makes left 4 dead, turok, and call of duty and halo better.

Ugh.

24: most of the story is ripped off of the original Doom, 1984, and starship troopers ( i'm talking about u antlions!!)

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any dystopian sci-fi story in recent memory that doesn't "rip off" 1984 in some way.

As for Doom and similar games, I think the HL games put enough of a new spin on the basic situation to be considered more than adequately unique. Not to mention that HL is leagues ahead of the vast majority of shooters when it comes to nuanced plot and world-building (most of the mythology and plot information is inferred through gameplay, instead of the clunky unnecessary infodumps we get in most games), and leagues ahead of most other games, period, when it comes to interweaving story with gameplay (as most Valve games are, what with their cutscene-free house style).

3:it's waaaayy too linear and that makes not much replay value for a 3rd or 4th run in a short period of time, the only thing that saves this is mods, which is only for the pc version. so in that way fps's like halo are bettter.

I don't think a game can be "too linear" as long as that linearity is justified by fine-tuned and fully thought-through level design, which the Half-Life games most certainly have. They operate on an entirely different design philosophy from most other contemporary shooters, one where every individual enemy and powerup is placed deliberately, instead of handling everything with procedural scripts and AI.

In some ways HL is more comparable to something like Super Mario Bros than it is to something like Halo.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-16 10:40:30

I actually completed half life 2 first and then completed half life 1.

Half life 2 was a roller-coaster ride from start to finish with the only part not really holding up in my mind is ravenholm. I can play the game over and over again and still get nearly the same trill as I did first playing it. Even HL 1 surprised me with incredible pacing just like it's successor and brilliant silent protagonist storytelling.

HL 1 and 2 in my opinion deserve all the praise they get.

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-16 13:05:59

At 8/13/12 11:01 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: reason why the series is bad.

1: there's not enough gore when you kill enemies, that makes left 4 dead, turok, and call of duty and halo better.

What are you, 11?

24: most of the story is ripped off of the original Doom, 1984, and starship troopers ( i'm talking about u antlions!!)

It's more original than "Kill Russian terrorists." from most of today's FPS'

3:it's waaaayy too linear and that makes not much replay value for a 3rd or 4th run in a short period of time, the only thing that saves this is mods, which is only for the pc version. so in that way fps's like halo are bettter.

All FPS' are linear. DURRRR.

that is my complaintes about the game

None of them are valid.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-17 02:02:15

Against my better judgement, I respond.
How is Halo less linear than any of the Half Life games?

cisprivileged and loving it

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-17 04:19:51

At 8/17/12 02:02 AM, GuybrushThreepwood47 wrote: Against my better judgement, I respond.
How is Halo less linear than any of the Half Life games?

Well, in Halo it's, narrow corridor, narrow corridor, slightly bigger area, narrow corridor, big open area, narrow corridor, big open area, narrow corridor, slightly bigger area, narrow corridor, narrow corridor etc.

And in Half-Life; *narrow corridor, narrow corridor, narrow corridor, narrow corridor, narrow corridor, narrow corridor, narrow corridor, narrow corridor*
*The vehicle sections don't count, because even though you're in a vehicle, you're still in the same narrow corridor

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-17 04:39:24

Wait, so this was actually a real topic and not a joke?

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:

360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-17 07:00:08

At 8/13/12 11:01 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: reason why the series is bad.

1: there's not enough gore when you kill enemies, that makes left 4 dead, turok, and call of duty and halo better.

I know youre only joking but halo doesnt really have any gore.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-17 11:21:27

Half Life is truly Overatade

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-17 14:11:26

I'm only guessing this is coming from someone who really has no idea what or how valve came to be and the story behind the half-life game. No I'm going to sit here and say the people who don't like it are wrong its their opinion and theirs alone. First off the first half-life game was made from a modified engine of the quake engine. Also Valve employees and the people who started valve were partnered from sierra and some from ID software. So it seems only certain some of the stuff from those companies and their ideas are going to be put into their games. To say a game is only good if there is lots of gore is a bit scary and you should see all the really good games out there that are not even violent to begin with. This just in too Left 4 Dead is a game made from the same game engine as half-life 2 and tf2. And if you really thinking about it Left 4 Dead isn't all the gory expect for the second game. But no the amount of blood and guts you see on the screen doesn't make it a good game I can't tell you how many games I've played that were super gory and got bored fast with them.

To make an idea that something has copied something else well that's how most things come about to be. Something is usually inspired or mimicked in some way shape or form. In fact after call of duty 2 came out for next gen consoles and pcs every shooter out there uses the recovery system (getting shot up hide behind something and recover.) which if you ask me takes the difficulty out of the game and just seems really stupid that i can get shot up and blown up I just sit and hide some where and suddenly I'm fine again. But as I said before almost every game, movie, story, or whatever have you has or will copy something else sooner or later.

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-18 03:14:48

At 8/15/12 09:21 AM, Madiman wrote: I honestly am not a fan of the Half-Life series. I played Half-Life 2 and it just felt really generic. I don't know why people were saying "game of the decade" and stuff like that. It wasn't bad, I was just unimpressed.

Half Life 1 impressed me tremendously more than Half-Life 2, but I have to admit HL2 episode 2 made an impression pretty close to HL1.

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-18 17:41:16

If you hate Half Life, quit making threads about it.

Also leave the forums forever.

Some furry asshole.

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-19 00:42:04

dude, you must be out of your mind if you think it's the worst ever fps series.

i mean, there's Stealth Force: the War on Terror... that game actually made me vomit.

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-19 01:12:12

OBJECTION! In the first game's lifetime, it has sold over 90 million copies, the best selling pc game of all time, and regularly gets amazing reviews! Ergo, THE HALF-LIFE SERIES DOES NOT SUCK!!!

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-19 02:05:57

At 8/14/12 08:12 PM, Warforger wrote: Ah let these amazing gamers demonstrate how you deal with someone who doesn't agree with you, do you argue their points? Do you try to explain why you don't agree? No of course not you just call him an idiot and go on for a couple more sentences about how stupid he is and how he's probably a troll because disagreement is equivalent to racism.

Please make your points as to why "Half Life is the Worst FPS series"

I'm genuinely curious

(Back from the dead!)

Thanks to TheWolfe for letting me steal his sig.

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-19 13:51:13

At 8/13/12 11:42 PM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: This guy is trolling, right?

I mean I didn't even like Half Life 2 but I can understand why people liked it.

Well

I think he's just 12.

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-19 18:21:35

At 8/19/12 01:12 AM, acidsnake13 wrote: OBJECTION! In the first game's lifetime, it has sold over 90 million copies, the best selling pc game of all time, and regularly gets amazing reviews! Ergo, THE HALF-LIFE SERIES DOES NOT SUCK!!!

sell dont equal how good a game is

filler text

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-25 11:08:54

Well, I have friends that believe Half-Life is over-rated, but most of them didn't finish the game. I myself believe that it is one of the most memorable FPSs that I've played in recent years.

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-25 15:38:59

I'm about three quarters of the way through half life 2 having only invested in a decent PC a few weeks ago...

Half LIfe 1 was and remains one of my favourite shooters of all time. I played it on first release and for the time it was a million miles ahead of anything else that had ever been produced. The no cutscene style makes the character so much more real and drags you right into his story. It also had groundbreaking level design (not just chucking X number of monsters at you, but turning every battle into a set piece) and phenomenal AI for the time. Some of the battles against the soldiers in that game were legitimately hard just because they seemed to know exactly what you were going to do and worked as a team against you.

Now Half Life 2 isn't leaving me with quite the same impression, though it isn't far off. I feel it is a little more repetitive- no longer is every battle unique, and the levels late in the game are getting to be a bit of a drag. The driving sequences were also MUCH too long. Story wise I feel it is better, with the setting much more appealing, the graphics are incredible for the time, and once again I find myself immersed in the life of Gordon Freeman.

Best first person series ever? It has to be close. Certainly it has a consistency that few of the others can match, and still does things that no other series does, whilst innovating a bunch of others. No, it isn't the full blown action every second that COD is, but sometimes a more cerebral and intteresting game can trump that.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-25 15:53:29

At 8/19/12 06:21 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote:
sell dont equal how good a game is

From a business standpoint it does.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to half life is the worst fps series. 2012-08-25 15:59:05

The amount of gore in a game doesn't make it good. If anything it makes it more annoying and wasteful. The Half-Life series was amazing because of its storyline, interesting character development, and puzzles throughout the game. Not to mention the physics engine that came with it.

Trust me, the Half-Life series is far better than anything that most people shit out these days. (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, etc.)

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]